leaking backhoe valves

farmac

Equipment
L3830
Aug 12, 2013
Hanwell NB Canada
I have a 2006 L3830 with a BH90 backhoe. I bought it used with 600hrs. Everything worked great. Upon purchase I added a grapple to move logs on my woodlot. I plumbed it into the rear remote and run the hoses forward. Within hours the right rear stabilizer of the backhoe began going down by itself while I was using the grapple. Eventually the stabilizer lever locked and could not be moved. Beyond that the other valves in the bank began to leak. I disconnected the hoe and chained up the stabilizers. Over the last winter I replaced the o-rings in the valves and reassembled the unit. The backhoe seemed to work well and once again this summer I set out to use the grapple with the backhoe hooked up and on the tractor. Within hours I could hear fluid moving behind me and once again the stabilizer lever locked. This time it was the other one (left). Now three of the valves are again leaking and I have had to disconnect the backhoe which is essentially useless. I have spoken to several dealers and nobody seems to know what is going on. In addition, there are several postings on the internet that describe the same problem. Nobody seems to have a solution. One poster suggested that back pressure from the grapple was blowing out the backhoe valve seals. Does anyone have any ideas as to why I am experiencing these issues? The rest of the tractor works fine and there are no leaks. Beyond all of this, Kubota wants $682 for one set of o-rings for the valves.

Big Kahuna

Equipment
Kubota 2000 L3010 HST with Loader ,1992 B7100HST , 1979 B6100E & 2007 F2880
Dec 23, 2011
Homer City, Pa.
I would say your grapple caused the problem, so I think it is not plumbed right. Post a picture of the set up, maybe someone else knows this problem.

Big Kahuna

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you add a valve to run the grapple?
It sound to me like it's either plumbed wrong or it's the wrong kind of valve, like a closed center valve, that is back feeding the system.

farmac

Equipment
L3830
Aug 12, 2013
Hanwell NB Canada
Did you add a valve to run the grapple?
It sound to me like it's either plumbed wrong or it's the wrong kind of valve, like a closed center valve, that is back feeding the system.
I did not install a new valve. It was on the tractor and is located between the seat and fender on the right. If I push it forward the grapple opens and backwards the grapple closes.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Just because it was there when you bought it does not mean its plumbed right.
If your not already a member sign up on tractor by net and post your question on there very active hyd forum.
I love this forum but sometimes you need more than just orange blood opinions.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

farmac

Equipment
L3830
Aug 12, 2013
Hanwell NB Canada
Just because it was there when you bought it does not mean its plumbed right.
If your not already a member sign up on tractor by net and post your question on there very active hyd forum.
I love this forum but sometimes you need more than just orange blood opinions.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Thank-you: I will give it a try.

jerryinwoolwine

Equipment
L3940 backhoe, FEL, grapple
Jun 14, 2014
Woolwine, VA
The short answer is: NEVER HAVE THE BH AND GRAPPLE HOOKED UP AT SAME TIME. If you have a WR Long valve (and possibly others) and are using for example a front mounted grapple with a backhoe, the plumbing is different b/c you have a backhoe. I suspect the pressure or spikes are too much for those expensive $27 Kubota O-rings and wipers X 14. It seems many Kubota dealers/mechanics still are not aware of this. As I have spent over $2300 and still have the issue.
Question to Moderators: Is there a technical service advisory for installing an AUX valve on a TBL??????
WR Long may be able to help you resolve.

The long answer:
I have the same problem with my L3940 HST with a BH92. The dealer (200 miles away) installed a WR Long valve for the grapple when I bought it. Soon after my boom would periodically move to one side on its own, curl would be slow or stuck, stabilizer extended while I was driving a load (very dangerous), grapple would release my load, loss of power, forward reverse petal stuck, backhoe will overheat after 15-20 min. Just seemingly random quirks, that would go away after sitting a while..... I had MY mechanic put in all new spool kits, b/c the o-rings were blown, but the problem came back after I mounted my grapple.... It was under warranty when it happened (tractor, not the BH). I took it to my local Kubota dealer and they had zero clue. Started replacing good spooler valves. Did not fix the problem, but still billed me $700. I have an open Kubota ticket and still have the on going problem, for 2 years now!
I disconnect my BH before I hook up my grapple and I will limp along until Kubota agrees to fix it.

Lessons Learned: Some dealers are crappy, some dealers don't even have Kubota Certified mechanics even though they are required to. If you don't believe me, I will name my local Kubota Dealer.
Kubota is a big slow COG in resolving these issues.

When I see Orange, I see RED!

farmac

Equipment
L3830
Aug 12, 2013
Hanwell NB Canada
Hi Jerryinwoolwine: Did you ever find the problem with your backhoe? You replied to a post I posted a while ago because I have the same problem with an L3830. Just got it back from kubota and they cannot find the issue, although they are admitting there is a spike in pressure in the backhoe line when the rear remote is used to operate the grapple or anythning for that matter.

sula bob

Equipment
2005 L3830 with back hoe, FEL with grapple
Apr 16, 2015
Samsula, Fl
I've got an '05 L3830 with a backhoe and grapple and factory rear remotes. When I bought it from the original owner they warned me not to have the grapple and backhoe hooked up to the hydraulics at the same time because it will blow seals in the backhoe. They didn't offer much more of an explanation than that.