F2000 trouble starting

F2000 owner

May 27, 2017
ottawa, ontario, canada
I cannot start my 1987 F2000. I have had it since new. The engine is a 20 HP diesel model D950-FM. It has always been easy to start and has always run well but this year I noticed that it took a bit more to start. It ran well and I cut grass for just over an hour and put it back in the garage. A week later it took a long time to start. It ran well and after an hour I parked it again and shut it off and tried to start it again it did so immediately, so I figured problem gone, but, 3 days later it would not start at all. It turns over vigorously and puts out some dark smoke out the exhaust. I checked the fuel and air filters and they are fine. I depress the clutch and mower PTO is disengaged – the engine would not turn over anyway, if I failed to do this.
What do you think?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like a fuel supply issue, either lift pump, tank, lines, or less likely the injection pump.

F2000 owner

May 27, 2017
ottawa, ontario, canada
The last time I managed to get it started it ran for over an hour. I shut it off and then tried to start it. It fired up immediately. This is what makes me wonder whether it is a fuel supply issue or if it is, why could it start immediately after I shut it off the last time.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Amount of fuel in the tank will effect how and when it will run if the lift pump is out.
If it has a bad fuel line, any variation in temp and conditions can effect it by either stopping / restricting flow or causing it to suck air.

If you have algae or debris in the tank it will act very sporadic in it's ability to get fuel.

The electrical system on that unit is very simple and has zero to do with it running, aside from cranking no electric is required to run the engine.

Pull the fuel line to the injection pump feed fuel via a tube and container from above the engine (gravity is fine), bleed the injectors to remove all air, if it starts and runs your issue is before this point.

F2000 owner

May 27, 2017
ottawa, ontario, canada
Thanks for your help. It was fuel related. We used some quick start to start it and added fuel conditioner. She has been starting fine ever since. This I had never done from day one - will do now though!
Thanks once again.