no fuel at injectors b7800

dbowling1952

Equipment
b7800
May 16, 2017
catlettsburg ky usa
Replaced fuel filter due to cracked bowl over the winter. replaced fuel and filter, loosened connection nuts at injectors to bleed lines and got fuel there. Engine started, ran rough for a minute and then idled smooth for about 20 minutes while I checked for leaks. I shut it off at the key switch. Two days later it would not start. I loosened the lines at the injectors again but could not get fuel there. Here is what I found. Fuel flowed freely TO the lift pump. On the other side of the lift pump fuel came out but in a pulsating action when engine was cranked, probably only a few pounds of pressure(is this normal ?) Same thing with the bleed bolt on the injector pump, pulsating type flow. Checked the rubber fuel lines, seemed clear. I then loosened the fuel line nuts at the injector pump and no fuel came out with cranking. The selonoid fuel kill clicks when you turn the key and you can feel movement inside also. Could it still be the fuel kill? Can fuel line possibly suck air without leaking fuel. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
My first thought is repeat the whole process again.

The lift pump doesn't generate much pressure, just a push to the IP.

One air bubble can cause that grief...

aerolland

Equipment
B2150
Mar 6, 2015
Morganton
I'm fighting diesel "algea" in my 2150 and get filter blockages about every 30 days. I have gotten good at the bleed procedure obviously but before I had similar issues you are experiencing. I found if I open the injection pump bypass and use a vacuum pump on the return line into the tank I can pull all air out quickly and I'm back up and running. Asking the IP to push air is asking a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Fuel flowed freely to the lift pump. On the other side of the lift pump fuel came out but in a pulsating action when engine was cranked, probably only a few pounds of pressure(is this normal ?)
Yes he lift pump only put out low pressure and small flow.

If your getting fuel into the Injection pump and not getting fuel out, you have an issue with the stop solenoid, linkage, or your blockage on the input of the injection pump.

dbowling1952

Equipment
b7800
May 16, 2017
catlettsburg ky usa
Ok, spent the last couple of hrs. working on the tractor. I bled the lines at the In. pump(again) to assure I had good fuel flow there. Next I removed the solenoid and tested it and it appears to work as the plunger moved in and out. But I noticed when I reinstalled the solenoid it did not seem to make contact with anything inside the IP. I have read that the plunger is supposed to make contact with a "fuel rack". I can't find any diagrams of this mechanism. Could this fuel rack be stuck in the closed position? Any suggestions and/or schematics would be greatly appreciated

Equipment
BX2200D
Mar 21, 2017
Bonifay, FL, USA
Your unit is different to mine and you're 4 cylinders where I have only 3 but I had an issue, in February with a BX2200D. In short, I had fuel to the injection pump but nothing going to injectors. Without cranking the engine, if I broke into the fuel feed line at the injection pump, fuel flowed as if by gravity. My problem wasn't water, blocked filers or anything to do with the fuel lines or solenoid...it was the injection pump - fuel available but no output to injectors. If you haven't fixed the problem, take a look at the post titled "Injection Pump BX2200D". My comments explain exactly what I did and I photographed the pump in various stages of disassembly. If you want to discuss any aspect or receive a copy of the photos send me an email to rs2_8(at)hotmail(dot)com. Again, I appreciate your situation is different but their are some similarities. Kind regards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Equipment
BX2200D
Mar 21, 2017
Bonifay, FL, USA
Sorry, omitted to say this....I don't know how your lift pump should function, if it is OK, but consider this, the fuel supply, from tank to the lower aspect of your injection pump is low pressure. From the top end of your injection pump, fuel is supplied to the injectors as high pressure and they (injectors) deliver minuscule quantities of atomised fuel to the cylinders...so you don't need gallons of fuel being supplied. To prove your solenoid...remove it from the injection pump (leave the wiring in place) and turn on your ignition - check the position of the solenoid actuator with ignition off and on. The plunger / actuator should be held in or out. When it's in, it allows fuel to flow. When it is out (ignition off) it pushes against the rack control slide and shuts off the fuel. Yes, it is possible that you have faulty wiring at the ignition switch or along the wiring at some point. But removing the solenoid eliminates any possible malfunction of it interfering with fuel supply. With the solenoid still removed, if you still don't get fuel to injectors I will suggest 1 of 2 issues to consider. My problem was internal to the injection pump but it is possible that you may have a "severe" air lock within the pump and normal bleeding routines won't clear it. The best way to deal with the airlock possibility...remove the pump and then fill the top side, HP side, with fuel...then shake it, to expel ALL air and top it up again and refit it.Crank the engine, with lines to injectors disconnected....as the engine cranks, is any fuel ejected from the outlet ports on the pump? Please note...don't have anyone or yourself near the outlets during this test - any HP liquid can be very dangerous, so take care and stand to the side. If you have fuel from 4 outlets...airlock was the fault...if nothing is coming out then I'm suggesting an internal problem with the injection pump. The one thing I can't / won't do is evaluate your problem and the tell you what is wrong. Start with the simple things, keep track of what you do so that your fault finding is methodical...and, if you can, photo the various stages...they are great things to refer to.