M-9540 pops out of second gear

The Hayman

Equipment
2xM9540+MX-5000
Jan 24, 2016
Winslow, Maine
Hi,

New here. I have a 2007 M 9540 (w/cab) that started poping out of second gear. A bit less than 4500 hours on the machine. Local guy known for his wizardry removed the Transmission cover and inspected. Everything looked new. Put it back together, very hard to take out of second (needed a hard wack). Replaced the 1st/2nd gear shifter rail, 2nd gear shifter fork, and detente springs and balls. Shifts smoothly now but still pops out of second under load. Any ideas?

Thanks

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would say your going to have to pull the transmission and start looking for worn or broken parts, I'm betting the issue is in the syncros.

The Hayman

Equipment
2xM9540+MX-5000
Jan 24, 2016
Winslow, Maine
Thanks Wolfman.
Wish they would make self healing tractors.
I think I will remove the plastic shrouding from around the shifter for a look at the linkage. The parking break (pall type) stopped locking the gear shift such that it could be put into gear with the break engaged a number of years ago. I did a quick fix (hay season) by placing a shim on the parking break lever. This moved the parking lever further from the shift lever when it was engaged and returned function to the shift locking mechanism. I quickly forgot all about it until I was shifting the gears when number two was sticking. I noticed at the same time I was once again able to put her into 3rd and 4th with the break applied (wasn't like this before she started popping out of gear). Maybe possible that whatever is loose ,worn, or damaged in the linkage lockout is preventing 2nd from fully engaging or moving around such that it pops it out? May be a long shot but maybe worth a look before splitting the tractor. I have owned her since new, all maintenance done on time. I would like to think 4500 hours is too soon for syncro problems, but.....

Thanks,

Don

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I follow what your saying, and yes a 100% possibility that some thing more is going on with the actual shifter setup.
Look for loose parts or linkage and also check the shift gates, if they have to much wear that could be the whole problem.
I would hate for you to have to tear into it if you don't need too.

The Hayman

Equipment
2xM9540+MX-5000
Jan 24, 2016
Winslow, Maine
Thanks once more Wolfman. I'll keep you informed as to how things progress. I also have a newer M9540, the last year they were built. Comparing them today I see they lengthened some levers and changed the geometry of the linkage giving it much more mechanical advantage. I'll talk to the dealer and see if there are any bulletins. My guy called Kubota and they said no, but the dealers connections may be of help here.

The Hayman

Equipment
2xM9540+MX-5000
Jan 24, 2016
Winslow, Maine
Wolfman,

Problem was a worn syncro. Should be back soon. The 1973 JD 410B backhoe loader missed her so much she has lost all hydro function including forward and reverse. Had to tow her out of the manure pile.

Thanks,

Don

The Hayman

Equipment
2xM9540+MX-5000
Jan 24, 2016
Winslow, Maine
Well it took awhile, but we are up and running. Kubota customer service was a great help. They came through with the support when I needed them, and that is what is most important.