B2650 Air Conditioning

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
The AC is out on my B2650. Again.

Was out last Spring first time I wanted to use it. Kubota dealer fixed it under warranty while I waited. Bad o-ring on a compressor fitting.

Out this Spring. Local mechanic replaced the same o-ring and fixed a leaking Schrader valve. Didn't last, went to use it 2 weeks later and the compressor was kicking on and off due to low pressure.

Took it back to the mechanic and we checked everything under the hood for leaks using a UV light. Nothing showing anywhere on the compressor, receiver, condenser or any of the plumbing.

That pretty much leaves the evaporator in the cab. That's a fairly time-consuming fix and would run into a pretty good chunk of change. The original trip to the local feller was in an attempt to avoid having to trailer it 60+ miles to the dealer and leave it for a week.

The tractor is still under warranty so I took it back to Kubota. I've no doubt they'll fix it right.

My question is whether this is a thing on Kubota AC in general or the 2650 in particular?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My question is whether this is a thing on Kubota AC in general or the 2650 in particular?
Well it's more of an A/C in any tractors thing, and the smaller the tractor the worse the issue.

They cram so much into such a tight space that things are going to happen no matter how well you treat it!

Grouse09

Equipment
B2650 Cab, snowblower, FEL, brush hog
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
Been using mine. No problems (knock on wood). Will keep an eye open and report if something goes haywire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
AC systems in tractors in general take a beating because of the rough environment of dust and rough riding. I use to farm and had about 15 tractors, loaders and dump trucks that had AC. Some would work perfectly year after year and others we would have to recharge each year. We would replace parts on at least 1 machine per a year. A tractor as new as yours and being used by a homeowner and not Day to day farming, shouldn't have reoccurring problems.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
PHPaul
Do you operate the AC at least once or twice a month during the Fall/Winter? Does your tractors AC system have leak detector dye installed? How many oz's of refrigerant was required when servicing AC system to get it back in spec's?

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
PHPaul
Do you operate the AC at least once or twice a month during the Fall/Winter? Does your tractors AC system have leak detector dye installed? How many oz's of refrigerant was required when servicing AC system to get it back in spec's?
1. No, but I'm going to start. Can't get a straight answer from the dealer on whether or not this is a good idea, but it seems logical to me.

2. Yes, dye in the refrigerant. No leaks detected under the hood at last check.

3. I don't know, I didn't ask.

Hoping to hear from the dealer today.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Cycling AC in cooler/cold temperatures helps keep compressor shaft seal to remain pliable & sealing. I suggest to acquire a set of AC gauges & learn correct procedure of utilizing them. Gauges can be purchased for about the cost of 1 service call or less.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Cycling AC in cooler/cold temperatures helps keep compressor shaft seal to remain pliable & sealing. I suggest to acquire a set of AC gauges & learn correct procedure of utilizing them. Gauges can be purchased for about the cost of 1 service call or less.

And therein lies the problem. Not everyone knows how to use them, and knows what those pressures mean. I saw it often, overcharged systems, undercharged, air in systems, moisture, etc. Some guys would say that they'd charge the system once a year because they heard that R134A leaks out faster. Get it in the shop and they'd be 450psi on the high side at idle speed. Then you'd get guys who'd charge their systems once every so often because it'd run out of refrigerant. Well, duh, fix the leak. But rather than fix it right, let's let it stop working altogether, grab a can of leak fixer stuff from Auto Shack and throw it to it. All the while, it's got air in the system. After a few cans of leak fixer stuff, now you've got a system full of it and that stuff has a tendency to plug small passages, like, say orifice or TXV.

Download the 609 cert booklet, study it. If you're a good test-taker, you can also pay the money and get your 609 license. Then you'll know exactly what should and should not be done. Worst case, you'll have spent a little time and a little money on license and studying but you'll also have another tool in your toolbox that might help you in the future.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
If you'll notice I stated ""learn correct procedure""! From my understanding one can legally repair their own AC system without 609 license BUT It is important to note that as of January 1st, 2018 you WILL need to be certified to purchase HFC refrigerants such as 410A, 134a, and 404A. Click the link on the bottom of the article for the exact wording from the EPA***8217;s website.

Copied & pasted from Google search: Technicians who repair or service MVAC systems for consideration (e.g., payment or bartering) must be trained and certified under section 609 by an EPA-approved technician training and certification programs. Section 609 certification is required to service any MVAC system for consideration, regardless of what refrigerant is used in the system.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Small cans of R134a will still be exempt.

So after killing R12 and R22, going to "environmentally safe" R134a and R410a, government bureaucracy makes it's own job security.

Don't have problems going to safer refrigerants, and don't have problems with knowing how to service correctly.

Must stop pressing keys

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Got the 2650 out of the shop today.

Tech replaced o-rings on the evaporator, one on the compressor, pulled a vacuum on the system to check it, and recharged it.

All under warranty, thank goodness.