Tip of the iceburg !!!!

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I had a new equipment shed built a week or so ago. I choose one of the few flat spots I have on my land. I used my tractor to level the spot some. Dug out a bunch of basket ball size rocks. Put down some 3/4" stone. Leveled that. There was one rock that stuck up in front of one side of the entrance. So after the carpenter got it built I decided to use my bucket and dig that rock out.
And after digging for a while with no luck, I decided to ask my neighbor who has a Kubota with backhoe to dig it up for me. After he dug for three hours he drove up and said come take a look.
And heres a photo. I'm sure it does not do it justice. But the loaf of bread size rock sticking out of the ground turned out to be the size of a Toyota corolla.

Attachments

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
But the loaf of bread size rock sticking out of the ground turned out to be the size of a Toyota corolla.
Been there, done that.
I agree with D2Cat.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I had one that i kept tagging with my mower,dug around it by hand and yanked it out with my 68 chevy. It was half that size. But it was sure a battle-that i won!!

One of the oak stumps i dug out was as big as a car, even after a year of drying the small cat excavator still couldnt lift it.

Dig a deeper hole beside it and roll it in

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm with Tooljunkie, dig next too and under it and let it sink deeper! :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Grandparents had a similar scenario at there house in vermont. Driveway was paved and level, but after a year there was a spot about the size of a small watermelon where the asphalt heaved. Had the driveway ripped out and done over about 15 years later. Asphalt did the same thing. :confused: Another 15 years later, he got fed up and decided to do the driveway a third time.

Had a track hoe there for some septic work and hired him to haul off the old asphalt as well. had the guy dig in that spot to see what was going on. Guy started digging the rock out, and dug and dug some more. Finally found the edges and the 10 ton track hoe could barely get it out of the hole. Rock was about the same size as the one you found :eek: He ended up rolling it out to the end of the driveway and parking it next to the stone wall. Had him dig out another one that he kept hitting with the tiller in the garden. That one was around the size of a golf cart :rolleyes:

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
If you want good support for the new building,you should take care of any loosened soil that would be under the building. A common technique is to replace soil in layers and compact each. Even foot traffic is better than none. I do not recommend jetting, since it can cause more problems than fix. I'm a geotech engineer and have seen some doozies.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Star drill,,, 6 pound hammer,,,,, cannon fuse ,,,,,, 4 oz black powder ,,,,, modeling clay,,,,, Match ,,,,,, some place to HIDE,,,, boooooom

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Paul Short does a lot of great videos with that BX. And cracking that rock he did a great job too.