Grey market FEL on L1-24 Sunshine

Crazy Horse

Equipment
L2950
Oct 16, 2016
Graham Wa U.S.A.
Re: Grey market FEL on Himomoto

That makes sense, thanks a bunch. Would you suggest getting the service Manuel for the tractor? Looks like it might be the 2650.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re: Grey market FEL on Himomoto

Sorry I jumped on a number befor doing enough research.
I think I've nailed it down, or at least narrowed the field to an acceptable number.
It's actually a L1-24 Sunshine, yes still a kubota.
Sadly as far as I know there is no specific manuals for the sunshines, Grey's fall into that a lot.
The nearest match would be the L2950 and luck has it that it's basicly the same tractor as my L3450 and takes the same manuals, I'll PM you a link to download the WSM.
Where your issue lies is they changed some of the hydraulic controls and some of the transmission, but most other components will be the same.

I need you to get me a picture of the hydraulic pump, that will help me narrow down your next step in the repair, which now that we've gotten a model, I can do without shipping you off the Tractorbynet, Phew! :D

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No way to know for sure of the age, somewhere around 1990.

2 stage pump, good.
Your issue could be a bad pump or a leaking suction line.
I would start with the possibility of a suction leak.
It's going to be the biggest steel line that has a rubber hose and clamps on it that I do believe goes to the filter housing.
Also what was the number of the hydraulic filter, if you can read it or remember?
Did you change fluid when you changed filters? if so what fluid did you use?

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Equipment
L2950
Oct 16, 2016
Graham Wa U.S.A.
The filter is a h3840-37710, and I used autozone multitrack tractor fluid.
I changed the filter, ran the tractor for probably ten minutes then changed the oil.
I'll check the lines tomorrow, and do you have a source for the pump?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That fluid should work, but it's a little on the heavy side and that will add to the problem if it does have a suction problem.

Oh let's avoid the pump at all cost... well at a high cost, most pumps for these models run in the 800 plus range.

How has the steering been?
Well I should ask does it have Hydro steering (Hydraulic ram on the front of the front axle that steers it), power steering or manual?

Crazy Horse

Equipment
L2950
Oct 16, 2016
Graham Wa U.S.A.
That fluid should work, but it's a little on the heavy side and that will add to the problem if it does have a suction problem.

Oh let's avoid the pump at all cost... well at a high cost, most pumps for these models run in the 800 plus range.

How has the steering been?
Well I should ask does it have Hydro steering (Hydraulic ram on the front of the front axle that steers it), power steering or manual?

Nothing wrong w the steering, it has a line coming from the hydraulic pump to the front axle, I haven't really tracked it down as of yet other than the notice that that's where it went

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nothing wrong w the steering, it has a line coming from the hydraulic pump to the front axle, I haven't really tracked it down as of yet other than the notice that that's where it went
That's a 2 stage pump so 1/2 of it is working that's a good sign. I'm thinking there is probably lines crossed up when they put the loader on.

Crazy Horse

Equipment
L2950
Oct 16, 2016
Graham Wa U.S.A.
The lines for each cylinder set is connected to one control valve on The valve body, they are top and bottom lining up with their control. Could they be on reversed? Also there are random instances where it will function properly for a second, almost like there's a pressure issue. But again it's only for releasing pressure from the cylinders, letting down the boom and picking up the bucket.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The issue will be with one of the three lines that connect the loader valve to the tractor.
There should be In, PB / Out, and Return / Tank if they have any of the lines crossed or in the wrong port that would mess everything up.

Can you get me more picture's of the connection under the seat?

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I will post a couple shots of the valve guys, I have no idea if it's a 2 or 3 hose type. It has 5 hoses on the inside (left) side, and 1 on the front or bucket side. The hose on the front has a quick attach coupler on it
5 + 1 = 6

The issue will be with one of the three lines that connect the loader valve to the tractor.
There should be In, PB / Out, and Return / Tank if they have any of the lines crossed or in the wrong port that would mess everything up.
4 hoses required for the cylinders. That leaves 1 hose to supply the spool valves and 1 hose to return fluid to the tank. P.B. would require a 7th hose.

Is he missing a hose here? Is it possible that a P.O. did something silly like replacing the original control with the wrong type?

The issue I'm having is that it will go up but is very slow letting it down, and also it will dump but not pick the bucket back up very fast.
I assume this means it goes up at a normal speed and dumps at a normal speed. Which way are the cylinders pointed? One photo shows the ram ends of the boom cylinders attached to the post. I don't see a photo of the bucket cylinders. Are the ram ends of the bucket cylinders attached to the bucket? In which case, both slow movements occur when the fat end of the respective cylinders are returning.

The fat ends hold more fluid than the ram ends, therefore the return line must handle a greater flow rate when lowering the boom or curling the bucket. Could this simply be a matter of a pinched or otherwise restricted low-pressure return line?

I took the cap located in front of the seat off and hydraulic fluid came gushing out. I drained off about 8 gallons and it's still over the full indicator window. Is the window relevant if the loader was added to the tractor after manufacture?
Is the reservoir properly vented? If there was a vent in the reservoir, I would have thought the excess fluid would have been leaking out the vent. Since collapsing a cylinder means more fluid is returning to the reservoir from the fat ends than is going into the ram ends, the reservoir level has to rise when lowering the boom or curling the bucket. The air has to go somewhere or it will resist the fluid return. Is it necessary to add venting when adding a loader after manufacture?

Crazy Horse

Equipment
L2950
Oct 16, 2016
Graham Wa U.S.A.
Here's some pictures of where the lines coming off of the control vale go into the rear end, and also of the cylinders the first one is from under the seat, the line goes into the fitting next to the 3 point hitch speed valve

Attachments