Finish mowers

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I haven't posted in a while but still check the site often.

Anyway, I bought a really used Caroni finish mower last year to use behind my L3800. I didnt give a whole lot for it as I wanted to see if this was the way for me to go without spending a lot of money. Well needless to say it is, I love mowing with it. I changed the blades and replaced a few parts before the summer started this year.

Here's my question, this unit is getting pretty old and I'm going to have to replace it eventually. So I'm curious if anyone else in here uses a finish mower,if so what brand and what has been your experience with them. King cutter and land pride are what's available from the local rural king and tractor dealers for roughly $1500-1600 for a 72" cut. I would like a rear discharge as well. Any other brands that are more reasonably priced but still have good quality? I won't be apposed to ordering one and having it shipped if needed.

Opinions needed thanks!!

Oh I did paint the mower Kubota Orange to match my tractor...
Ben

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I use the 60" agmate finish mower from agmart. Cost just under $1000 including shipping. Had to lenghen the lift arms so the castors would clear the tires. Only other issue was clipping a root and had the curved metal to divert the grass underneath bend into the blade causing the blade to bind. A couple whacks with a bfh and it was mowing again. Made out of thinner metal, so you have to take that into account. Back is beveled so even though it's a rear discharge, if your in tall stuff it will leave a windrow. If you keep up on the mowing, then you won't notice it though.

Pros, cuts really nice. Makes the yard look like a golf course. Cost is really economical. Takes a standard blade, so you can get replacements all over town. Fairly easy to maintain.

mikes1165

Equipment
L3901DT, LA525FL, King Kutter 6' finishing mower, 5' Bush Hog Squealer,Box blade
Jul 30, 2015
Mulga
I have 2 72" finishing mowers. One is an oldder model King Kutter side discharge.The deck on it is in my opinion made to thin. over time or if you hit something itwarps the deck where the spindles are mounted and causes it to cut uneven. You have to remove the belt and spindle where deck is bent and straighten the deck. If you only cut your lawn and never hit anything it's not a bad mower.The second is a 72" rear discharge Bush Hog finishing mower.This mower is tough. I've had it for 3 years and had no problems. Takes a little more pto horsepower to run it although I"ve been using it on an old 30 hp diesel Mitsubishi with no problem. It's also heavier than the King Kutter but in my opinion it is one great mower. Bought it used for $1200.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Have a 5' side discharge Caroni that I bought around 1992. It has been used, abused, stored outside, broken and welded back together. It's hooked on the Ford right now and parked at my one BIL's place about an hour away. Still does a nice job of mowing. He has a 5' zero turn that I tried and didn't particularly care to use. He's in the hospital for an extended time, so we all pitch in to lighten the load.

For 10 years I ran a 5' side discharge Landpride on a B7500. When that tractor was replaced in 2012 I went with a 6' rear discharge Landpride.

They have all worked well and each has different characteristics. The Caroni blows the clippings out very evenly and doesn't care if the grass is a little juicy. The side discharge Landpride preferred dryer grass to avoid throwing wads of grass. The 6' rear discharge Landpride seems to be happy with a wider range of moisture, and can be tuned to handle different degrees of wet via changing RPM's. Not too long ago I mowed in the rain and it came out OK.

wchp12

Equipment
B2650, Landpride 60" RFM, CoutryLife 12" Post Hole Digger, Kubota BB60
Jun 22, 2015
Garnett Ks
I bought a used Landpride 60" Rear finish mower and have had good luck with it, be sure to keep an extra belt on hand, if they break/wear out there is always just a little bit of yard left

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Just so happens on my way home yesterday I spotted a used finish mower for sale. Stopped to look and its a 7' king cutter. Looks used but not to bad. The guy had a big yard so I know he was using it to cut that. He was asking $500. Which isn't to bad. Guess I'm wondering if any of you have used one that big and if so do you notice a better or worse cut once you go that size? It's a side discharge so not exactly what I want but would deal with it at that price. I like bargains...

Also I haven't looked it up but I would assume my L3800 would handle it just fine.??

Thanks.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
When I bought my B7100, it had a used Woods RM59 with it. That thing is indestructible. I would be hard pressed to find a better mowing, easier to work on, more durable and dependable finish mower. I know that Woods implements are pricey, but they sure do build them well. My dad bought a Woods 84" backblade for his JD, as well as an 84" Brush Brahma bushog. They are both overbuilt, and a good value (in my opinion).

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
I have a 71" caroni rear discharge and like it. My dad uses a woods 72" rear discharge. We got both of them used and they both work good. I like the rear discharge over the side. Just my 2 cents.