Engine Error Code

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Ok. So I searched everywhere and I've been waiting two days for my Service Advisor to call me back. I can't seem to find a chart or anything on Error Codes. I really like my Baby Grand L3560. Did the first service at 50 hours and now I have near 100 hours on it. I was working it pretty hard bush hogging and it thru an ENGINE ERROR CODE P2414. Anybody know what the code means?
http://s484.photobucket.com/user/Loy_Holmes/media/Error Code P2414 640x480_zpsapvo2qi5.jpg.html

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Loy,

For those of us with the "lesser model" tractors, how does your code show up? Does it display on the dash or do you have a plug-in reader like an OBD?

Always wondered about that...

:)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There is a list of error codes in the operator's manual for the 3560 on page 117 on, but before you get excited, it does not include any of the p--- codes. They are not in the shop manual either. I have started a list of codes from folks who find out from their dealer what a particular one is, so if you find out, please post it.

I love my 3560 too, badger your dealer to fix your tractor, it is still under warranty. Some of the p codes have to do with tne pressure of the fuel system, and so not much chance you can fix it, although some codes can be ignored for a while.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Yeah, I went to my manual first, only to find that it wasn't there. My Dealers Service Rep can't even tell me whether I can ignore it.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Finally talked to my service rep and he said that ENGINE ERROR CODE P2414 in not an immediate concern. It indicates that the EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve read an outlying electrical code that was possibly caused by moisture condensation. He will reset the code with his laptop on my next visit to the dealer.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Great, glad there is nothing serious wrong with it, and thank you for posting what the code means, maybe it will help someone else.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Nice that it gives you a readout on the machine. Beats having to turn the key on and off so many times or buying a reader. These tractors aren't ODBII are they?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Nice that it gives you a readout on the machine. Beats having to turn the key on and off so many times or buying a reader. These tractors aren't ODBII are they?
Well I had to google OBDII since I wasn't sure what you meant, but I think yes in the sense that they have a lot of self reporting pieces of information that can turn up on the screen in plain English as well as some that you have to have a company owned laptop to access. Some things are kind of primitive since there is no keyboard so you have to do two or more unrelated things at the same time to tell it something. Eg put the key switch in this position and push this button and hold, etc. Is that what you were thinking?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Finally talked to my service rep and he said that ENGINE ERROR CODE P2414 in not an immediate concern. It indicates that the EGR(Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve read an outlying electrical code that was possibly caused by moisture condensation. He will reset the code with his laptop on my next visit to the dealer.
By the way did they put tne updated EGR valve on your tractor last fall? Worth checking, it was part of a "recall" since it can freeze up in the winter in the older version. The newer version can be recognized from the outside by a tinfoil insulation cover over the lines. Moisture condensation is not good in winter.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I was being a little facetious. ODBII is car parlance for pain in the tush computer tracking of everything but especially emissions systems! I hope to heck tractors never go ODBII. If they do, it is truly a sign that government has taken over everything.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I was being a little facetious. ODBII is car parlance for pain in the tush computer tracking of everything but especially emissions systems! I hope to heck tractors never go ODBII. If they do, it is truly a sign that government has taken over everything.
Oops, I totally missed the sarcasm, darn, it is my favorite kind of humor :D I don't know if it tracks the emissions system, not sure what it would do with the information if it did. Now if it had wifi, gps, or computer access to anything, that would make me worried. Not buying a car that can be hacked, the idea of anyone accessing my tractor would send me over the edge.

Last edited:

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
On your newer Kubota's, yes, they are all tracked and serial numbered when it comes to DPF's, even injectors.

The P2414 code is something that is set do to an "EGR overheat" not electrical issue. Basically, it means you're working the tractor above the set standard for that sensors range. It is reset with the keyswitch, but still stored in the ECU until it is cleared with the laptop.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
On your newer Kubota's, yes, they are all tracked and serial numbered when it comes to DPF's, even injectors.

The P2414 code is something that is set do to an "EGR overheat" not electrical issue. Basically, it means you're working the tractor above the set standard for that sensors range. It is reset with the keyswitch, but still stored in the ECU until it is cleared with the laptop.
OK Shadow, now you have my attention. Your answer has merit as I was working a 6 foot tiller hard the first time I saw the code. What's your source of information? And how do I determine if I an working the tractor above the standard? How do I reset the P2414 code with the key?

Friday it flashed this code again, and it seems to be after a regen, but was not working to hard.

Scenario:
6pm and I am mowing 5 acres with a 6 foot bush hog at 2400 RPM(540 at the pto). DPF is at 93% so I just continue to work. DPF reaches 100% at about 9pm, Regen symbol comes on the dash and I continue to work. about 20 minutes later the regen symbol goes off and it resets DPF to 0%. less than 5 minutes later the ENGINE ERROR light comes on and displays ENGINE ERROR Code P2414. Engine Error light stays on and I cycle the display back to show PTO speed and continue to work until 10pm. Next day the ENGINE ERROR light is not on, but the P2414 code is still displayed.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
By the way did they put tne updated EGR valve on your tractor last fall? Worth checking, it was part of a "recall" since it can freeze up in the winter in the older version. The newer version can be recognized from the outside by a tinfoil insulation cover over the lines. Moisture condensation is not good in winter.
Hi Sheepfarmer,
That could explain the EGR overheating. Since that recall was in the Fall of 2014, and I didn't get my tractor until June 2015, one would think it was updated, but after work I will look for the tinfoil insulation covering the lines to confirm.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
The recall that as done, was for the CCV, not the EGR. Basically, it collects the breather tube "exhaust" and seperates the gas from the liquid (oil). The oil returns into the sump via a tube, and the gases are reintroduced into the intake air stream. The problem they were having, was condensation was getting into that system, and freezing up the check valve that is in the bottom of that canister, causing it to be open and allowing engine oil to be introduced into the intake air stream. Supposedly it could cause a run away motor issue if it did suck enough into the motor. The update had different canister, new lines, and a different breather that went on top of valve cover.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
Your system is already hot, the exhaust temperature is raised to almost 1200 degrees when a regen is being done. That extra heat, along with other factors such as a dirty radiator, condensor, oil cooler, and/or air filter, all contribute to that code being set. Your dealer will have to come out and erase the code, or if they are comfortable with it, they will give you the directions. If you scroll thru your display, it will show that code, and continue to show it, until it's reset. The light that actually comes on on the dash, is reset with the keyswitch, meaning when you shut off the tractor, then restart it, the code goes away, PROVIDING those set standards are not still being exceeded, ie. the EGR is still too hot.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Thanks for bringing this up as I thought they surely did the update to mine before sending it out. NOT. No tinfoil insulation anywhere in the area. and I verified that my serial number was within the numbers for the recall. Guess I'll have to address this with the dealer as well.

LoysToyz

Equipment
L3560HSTC
May 21, 2015
Falcon, CO
Your system is already hot, the exhaust temperature is raised to almost 1200 degrees when a regen is being done. That extra heat, along with other factors such as a dirty radiator, condensor, oil cooler, and/or air filter, all contribute to that code being set. Your dealer will have to come out and erase the code, or if they are comfortable with it, they will give you the directions. If you scroll thru your display, it will show that code, and continue to show it, until it's reset. The light that actually comes on on the dash, is reset with the keyswitch, meaning when you shut off the tractor, then restart it, the code goes away, PROVIDING those set standards are not still being exceeded, ie. the EGR is still too hot.
OK Shadow. Thank You for your input. I think I follow what you are saying. Sounds like my next logical step is to follow-up my 100 hour service with special attention to blowing and cleaning and checking radiator, condenser, oil cooler, and air filter.

Is it necessary to get the code reset by the service department at this time, or can that wait until after next regen?

Should I consider doing a parked regen at the next required interval, as I have just continued working during the previous regens?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hi Sheepfarmer,
That could explain the EGR overheating. Since that recall was in the Fall of 2014, and I didn't get my tractor until June 2015, one would think it was updated, but after work I will look for the tinfoil insulation covering the lines to confirm.
Shadow is quite correct, I misremembered how much of that circuit was replaced in the recall, sorry, my foggy brain. There is a picture of the new ccv on mine in this thread. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17918

This is on left side of engine and lines crossover to rt side where I think EGR is. Bottom line look for the tinfoil on left side first.