L2201 Low Oil Pressure - Pulling Gear Case Cover

countryhick

Equipment
Kubota L2201
Oct 2, 2014
Monroeville, AL
My L2201 has low oil pressure, around 7-8 psi @ idle and only up to around 12-14 psi at 2000rpm. After the oil warms up, the light comes on at engine speeds below about 1800-1900rpm. After some research I decided to pull the gear cover and see if the plug had come out of my cam. My question now is will I have to remove the front axle to get the gear cover off. My tractor is 2wd.

countryhick

Equipment
Kubota L2201
Oct 2, 2014
Monroeville, AL
I'm also running into a problem finding a part number for the gear case cover gasket. The parts manual for the L245 shows 15221-04130 (which has been replaced by 15222-04130) for serial number <=14147 and 15601-04130 (which has been replaced by 15313-04130) for serial number >=14148. Does anybody know which is the right one or how to figure out which one I need?

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I ran into the same thing on my l1501. Both my motor and yours share the same gear case cover gasket. I ordered on NI Wolmans suggestion the 15222-04130. There was one slight difference between the new gasket and old gasket. The old gasket and the gearcase cover had three circles for the oil ports. The new gasket had four. All it required after getting it layed out on the cover to double check fit was a quick snip to cut out the extra circle and remove it so it wasn't flopping around inside the case.

My suggestion would be to order the 15222-04130 ;)

Then if you pull the cover and have 4 ports for your oil filter, your covered. If you remove it and there is only three ports. All that is required is the slight modification :)

And yes, you'll more then likely need to unbolt the front axle and remove to get to the bottom bolts to remove the cover

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I used a bottle jack just behind the oil pan. With jack stands as a back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

countryhick

Equipment
Kubota L2201
Oct 2, 2014
Monroeville, AL
I may be missing something, but I only see 3 bolts/studs holding the front axle bracket to the block. Looking from the front, I can see 2 on the right and 1 on the left. This doesn't seem like much. Is this all that holds the bracket to the block. I want to be sure before I start trying to jerk the axle loose.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Mine had five total. Two stacked on one side, the rest were even with the bottom bolt. I had to lay on my back and look up to see and get to the two in the middle when I did mine.

countryhick

Equipment
Kubota L2201
Oct 2, 2014
Monroeville, AL
Thanks man. I found all the bolts. Now I'm just waiting for that 46mm socket to show up. The parts list I have put together so far is a speed control plate gasket, injection pump cover gasket, 3 oil pump O-rings, a water pump O-ring, a camshaft plug and the gear case cover gasket. Do you see anything I am missing? Is there any type of O-ring for where the crankshaft comes through the front cover?

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
That sounds about right. I used a 1 7/8" wrench on the nut, and 3'pipe wrench on the front pto shaft to remove the nut on mine. A 46mm wrench/socket or 1 13/16 wrench or socket were special orders here as well. I bought the crank case cover gasket, camshaft plug, new collar, o'ring, and lip seal. Used a sheet of paper gasket and made the gasket for the oil filter base. And permatex ultra black rtv for the inspection cover and throttle cover for the injection pump. No water pump on mine :rolleyes: I did replace the sealed bearings for the fan while I had the cover off. Bearings were hanging up and catching. Took the bearings over to a bearing shop and they had replacements in stock for $5 each :D O'rings can be found in a master o'ring kit. Happened to have the proper ones at work :)

A pair of needle nose pliers with a 22° off set will be your best friend when it comes time to remove and reinstall the springs for the throttle and governor ;)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Before you remove that front cover, there is a spring that hooks on it and goes back to the gov assy. Mine flew off and i never found it, had to buy another one. I think there is an inspection cover close to the cover and gov assy. I don't have the tractor anymore, so can't look at it.

countryhick

Equipment
Kubota L2201
Oct 2, 2014
Monroeville, AL
Well I got it all apart and verified the cam plug was missing. Now I'll start cleaning all the gasket surfaces while I wait on the new parts to arrive.

countryhick

Equipment
Kubota L2201
Oct 2, 2014
Monroeville, AL
Just figured I'd post and let everyone know that I got everything back together and the tractor seems to be running good. No more oil light. Thanks for all the help.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Just figured I'd post and let everyone know that I got everything back together and the tractor seems to be running good. No more oil light. Thanks for all the help.
Much thanx for update and glad you got her up and running.