New Owner L245DT

Gerald

Oct 11, 2014
Lake Elizabeth, CA, USA
Hi folks,

Yesterday I bought a Kubota L245DT. I just bought retirement property in AZ and needed a tractor for clearing 4 acres of tumbleweeds and light excavation for a new driveway. I have never owned a tractor and wanted something a little larger than the 16hp models. The 25hp+ tractors are a little hard to find and this one came available, so I drove 3.5 hours to look at it. I know nothing about them but I saw no leaks, no water or fuel in the oil, hydraulics seemed to operate well, no unusual noise after starting quickly from a cold start, no smoke, etc. It came with a front end loader and a gannon with rippers. Sheet metal had some dings and dents and the bucket looked like it had seen a fair bit of use. 2200 hours on the dial. I paid 6K for it, which to me seemed like a fair price after looking at going prices of the smaller tractors. The only thing that bothered me was that it was being sold by a tractor flipper. I would rather have bought from a private owner little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday, but those are hard to find.

Anyhow, this morning I am noticing some things that give me second thoughts. I notice the lugs on the left front wheel seem to have been replaced with bolts. Why would this have been necessary? Also, it appears the rear tires have water in them along with added weights (can anyone tell me what this rear tire weight weighs?). If I am on level ground clearing tumbleweeds and rattlesnakes, is the added weight necessary? No wonder my poor 1/2 ton Chevy was struggling with a small hill!

I am retiring in a couple of years after 32 years in the Forensic sciences. I am more comfortable with the value of microscopes than tractors. I am going to get a service manual and try to find some info on safe operation so I don't kill myself. Any and all advice will be appreciated. If you think I got took on the price, I console myself with the fact that I have been taken for more money on a less worthy investment.

Cheers!

Attachments

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
I think you did well on that one Gerald. I have the same model, and yours looks much nicer than mine. I paid $5800 for mine and it came with a beat up old brush mower instead of a blade. Mine is a great help around my place, I'm very happy with it.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Sounds anywhere from little high to about right from the info you gave. I've been looking at that range of model and prices for months now.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
Hi Gerald,

I'm guessing those wheel weights weigh anywhere between 80 and 120 lbs. each.

As far as water being in the rear tires, I would keep that weight there, especially if you're doing any loader work. It's a good counterweight along with anything you have on your 3 point hitch.

Good looking tractor and have fun playing, I mean working that tractor. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The rear weights and rear tires being loaded with ballast are an excellent thing, traction and bottom weight with a loader are very important.

Don't worry about the front wheels having bolts, that is an acceptable replacement for the studs.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Gerald,

Congrats and howdy from Cave Creek, AZ.

Smaller tractors have a fairly narrow track. If you load your Front End Loader (FEL) up with a bunch of weight, the rear wheels unweight. Think of a old time lab scale... the pivot point on your Kubota is the front wheels. This is another reason to keep them full of air. If they get low, your tractor will be unstable.

Always keep that bucket low when full, especially when traveling. Sure, you'll have to raise the bucket at times to lift over obstacles. High buckets that are heavy make the tractor subject to tipping over! Especially on uneven ground.

Water in your rear wheels is a simple place to put weight down low. It makes your ride a little harder but, it helps you get traction and stay stable. The wheel weighs further that aim.

Not sure how much your machine was used recently but, before you get started, you might want to get it serviced (engine oil at least) and look over the hoses. It would be sad to blow a bad hose on your property an hour into work. A good once-over would really help your productivity as well as your ownership experience. Who knows how long its been since the hydraulic fluid has been changed. Maybe never.

Before starting a big project is a great time to get all that out of the way. I bought my 126-hour Kubota from the first owner and he swore the oil had been changed. I knew the filter was original because it was painted Kubota orange at the factory in Japan. Replacement filters from Kubota are white. First thing I did was get fresh oil in the machine.

Another suggestion from a smaller tractor owner: Your ability to pick up heaping loads with the loader is pretty much zero, unless you are lifting sawdust. AZ soil is pretty tough and rocky and ripping that with a 3-point box scraper with teeth down is the best way to remove material in thin layers. Running into rocky soil with a loader bucket can damage things. Be gentle and if the machine protests, listen.

You might want to track down a nice set of ear muffs to kill the noise. If you have any radio stations near by, muffs with built-in radio makes the project really fun. If no radio stations are in your area, you can hook an mp3 or iPod player into the headset. I have the Howard Leight/Honeywells and love 'em.

Most of all, have fun!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll take these to heart and I'm sure I'll be back asking more questions.

I am with all the others, great buy - keep that weight! And enjoy the orange country - lots of people here that will help with ANY questions you might have!:D

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
As far as the wheel bolts go, they do that when the tires are loaded/weighted. It's way easier to catch one stud and then bolt the rest. Imagine tiring to line up all the studs with a heavy tire/wheel.

Gerald

Oct 11, 2014
Lake Elizabeth, CA, USA
Hey CaveCreekRay, thanks for the advice. I intend to change all fluids as soon as I figure out what and where to buy. I think it was serviced before I bought; the filters look new, there is a new radiator hose and it looks to have been cleaned up a bit. I am in Paulden, north of Prescott. Driving the tractor down to the property this Friday and really looking forward to turning it loose. Thanks again!

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Got the same Tractor used 32 years ago. Even if you overpaid you bought a great tractor that will be big enough for many projects. There is a hyd filter on the left side of the tractor frame. Blue part. If you are setting in the seat drop your left hand straight down and it will be in that area hidden under a oval cover with two bolts. It is a screen type filter that does not cost very much. Mine got completely plugged after 20 years and the rear arms stopped lifting. Never knew it was there. Get on E-bay and buy a owners manual. So far I have replaced a water pump and the loader pump on the front of the engine. The hyd. pump was my fault. May your machine treat you as well as mine has me.