B6000 front axle drive shaft

todddrummey

Equipment
B6000
May 21, 2009
falmouth, ma
I just split my B6000 to replace the clutch. I noticed something odd. There is a u joint where the front wheel drive shaft meets the front axle. The axle and joint have a cover and tube over them for protection. The cover has what look like oil fill and drain plugs, but there is no oil in the cover. The u joint was very well greased. Should there be oil in this cover?

The u joint at the transmition end has no lube at all. No grease zerks either. Should I stuff a handfull of grease around the u joint to try to keep it lubed?

Any comments appreciated.

Todd

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
I'm curious too --- just split my B20 and this cover was full of oil and the cover "seam" where it bolts together was covered with gasket sealer as if to keep the "seam" from leaking. But, in my case, there isn't any fill hole or drain plug. I just assumed that the oil in the cover leaked out of the front differential past that seal.

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Todd, looks like no one has anything to offer here. I don't think that this should be full of oil. Some u-joints are greasable and others aren't -- least that's my experience. I plan to do as you suggest --- just grease it up best that I can and then reinstall the cover. I probably will seal it up with gasket sealer just in case some oil leaks back out of the front differential. I continue to think that is the source for the stinky old oil that I found in mine.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The service manual says to lubricate the universal joint of the drive shaft with 40 grams of chassis grease.
Ed