Fuel for ZD21

DonB

Equipment
ZD21
Aug 6, 2010
Clear Springs AL
I'm not sure what year this machine is. I bought it in March of 2007 with 30 hours on it. This is back when all diesel had sulphur adequate for fuel system lubricity.

I always run low sulphur (500 ppm) off road fuel in this engine but when I order fuel this year, my driver will have to go to a different supplier to load up some low sulphur diesel especially for me. Their regular delivery product is now ultra low sulphur diesel (15 PPM).

Question is, how well do Kubota engines of this age run on the newer ULSD? Does it need special lubricity additives (like a GM 6.5L TD) to compensate for the lack of sulphur?

It's not really an issue for me at this time since I'll probably be able to get the 500 PPM fuel for a few more years but I'm just wondering about it.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I'm not sure what year this machine is. I bought it in March of 2007 with 30 hours on it. This is back when all diesel had sulphur adequate for fuel system lubricity.

I always run low sulphur (500 ppm) off road fuel in this engine but when I order fuel this year, my driver will have to go to a different supplier to load up some low sulphur diesel especially for me. Their regular delivery product is now ultra low sulphur diesel (15 PPM).

Question is, how well do Kubota engines of this age run on the newer ULSD? Does it need special lubricity additives (like a GM 6.5L TD) to compensate for the lack of sulphur?

It's not really an issue for me at this time since I'll probably be able to get the 500 PPM fuel for a few more years but I'm just wondering about it.
I would not be concerned with an engine this new but for peace of mind I would use a good fuel conditioner. Better safe than wondering, I use a conditioner in all my diesels regardless of age.:D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would like to know where you can get 500 ppm fuel at. All the off-road fuel in this area has been the same as pump fuel for a few years now. The only difference is the red die.

DonB

Equipment
ZD21
Aug 6, 2010
Clear Springs AL
500 ppm diesel for non-road, locomotive and marine use will be available at least through 2014. Small refineries are allowed to produce all they need. I suppose whether they do or not depends on local market and demand. Check with your fuel supplier.