Implement sizing delema

Boogity

Equipment
Kubota BX-1500
Apr 24, 2010
Rural Indiana
Foolishly I sold our Kubota L-48 and purchased a tiny BX-1500 several years ago. My wife loves to mow and she couldn't get onto our old tractor very well. I don't work our land any more (leasing it out is much better for an old fart like me) so we thought the BX-1500 would do the trick. It's great for mowing the yard but I want to use some 3pt attachments with it and find that the cat-0 hitch is kind of an odd-ball size and attachments aren't easily obtainable. Some are priced higher than the typical cat-1 attachments.

Would you guys recommend that I increase the size of tractor or start collecting little cat-0 attachments. I'm thinking about getting a 39" rototiller but I'm concerned that our little BX-1500 just isn't up to the task. I would also want a 4' box grader.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Your BX1500 should run a 39" tiller fine, if it fits on the 3 pt hitch. I run a 48" on my B7100, which is only 1 hp more. It should also pull a 48" box grader, depending on what you are scraping. I doubt if you will have the weight to move heavy material, but you can probably straighten gravel or lightly grade with it.
If you have the money, it sounds to me like you need to move up in size. There are larger tractors that will do a lot more than the 1500, but not be too big for the wife to handle. If you want to really utilize the box scraper, you will need to have more tractor.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
35 years ago I bought my L185DT, for $4000 plus $2K for the FEL. The next size up was the L245DT, for $4400. The 245 had bigger tires, adjustable wheel width, at least 30% more hp.
I live in hilly country. I needed width. I spent days building spacers, etc, trying to make up for too narrow a tractor. Then I found I needed more traction to better dig with the FEL. I ended up with dualies - more days building custom parts, another about $800 for wheels & tires.
To make the story short, you never can make up for not really big enough. It is like trying to make a compact pickup do the work of a full size long bed.
I'd spend an hour or so at the nearest Orange dealer. Take the wife. Find out what your BX1500 is worth as a trade in. Look at the biggest thing they have with a MMM. Get the FEL. They are quick-detach now - easy to remove for mowing & tilling. Once you have something that will pick up 600+ lbs and move it around, you'll find yourself using it ALL THE TIME.
As it is, you are forever going to have to make up for the cat-0 3 point hitch. Then the tires are going to be too small - they will dig and get stuck on wet grass. Fresh gravel on the driveway will stop you cold - forget about that box blade.
I spent 35 years making up for the 185 being just a bit too small. In the end it was awesome what it could do, but every step of the way I'd have been happier with the next size up.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yup the guys nailed it,,, I have a BX 2360 a great LITTLE tractor but for somethings i wish I had gone to the B, not much bigger but more versital,,just MHO you understand

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I have an L175 with turf tires and a Woods belly mower that I use as a lawn mower, and occasionally move trailers with. I also have an Allis Chalmers Wd that my grandpa bought new for my dad in the spring of 1951 for any "real tractor" type jobs that I have, (I only have ten acres, so the WD is a bit of overkill).

If your wife likes mowing with your little BX-1500, you might be better off getting another tractor for the "real tractor" jobs, and keeping the BX for mowing.

A bigger tractor can do a little job easier and safer than a little tractor can do a big job.

Robert

Boogity

Equipment
Kubota BX-1500
Apr 24, 2010
Rural Indiana
Yup! I'm beginning to realize that you guys are correct. Since I'm retired and on a very low fixed income it will have to wait a while but a little bit more tractor is exactly what I need. Thanks everyone.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Have you considered selling the BX and buy yourself a quality riding lawn mower for the mowing work and then look at a L series Kubota for the bigger jobs. I dare say with the money you'd make selling off the BX you could purchase outright a new Kubota or even a Cub Cadet rider and have plenty of money left over for a down payment on a larger L Kubota.

Jefferson

Equipment
L3200 fel, Bx 2380 fel,60"deck,50"fm snowblower,50"tiller, Brush hog
Oct 14, 2011
West Michigan, USA
I think you guys are really selling the Bx 1500 a bit short. Mine runs a 50"mmm.a 42" tiller.48"brush hog without any problem.Just my 2 cen
ts worth!

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Foolishly I sold our Kubota L-48 and purchased a tiny BX-1500 several years ago. My wife loves to mow and she couldn't get onto our old tractor very well. I don't work our land any more (leasing it out is much better for an old fart like me) so we thought the BX-1500 would do the trick. It's great for mowing the yard but I want to use some 3pt attachments with it and find that the cat-0 hitch is kind of an odd-ball size and attachments aren't easily obtainable. Some are priced higher than the typical cat-1 attachments.

Would you guys recommend that I increase the size of tractor or start collecting little cat-0 attachments. I'm thinking about getting a 39" rototiller but I'm concerned that our little BX-1500 just isn't up to the task. I would also want a 4' box grader.
Don't start collecting Cat-O attachments as they're more expensive and you can solve your problems by buying the bushings you can slide over your pins that will fit the CAT1 perfectly. Or you could buy new pins and install them in place of CAT-O's. You certainly seem to understand not going overboard and buying the smaller attachments you've mentioned here, so that tells me your years of experience farming taught you the important things you need to know. Long as you don't get wild and crazy with size and be careful you shouldn't have any problems.

Oh, and when your wife decides she's tired of mowing and doesn't want to do it anymore, that's when to buy a bigger tractor and maybe one with a cab and air conditioning would suit your needs better too. ;-))
Al