Thoughts on Gallagher Auger/Post Hole Diggers

Ach

Equipment
Kubota B6000 DT with B219 Loader
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
I've been in the market for an auger for a bit now, and have a line on a unit made by Gallagher, for which I can find virtually no information.

Anyone ever heard of them? Anyone ever use one of their augers? Opinions?

Thanks for any input in advance.

-A

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Augers are a pretty simple straight forward tool, not a whole lot to them. Therefor not much to break on them if they go south. Its pretty much a pto shaft a gear box and a drill bit. Shear bolts or a shear pin are the common thing to break and go wrong on an auger so keep a bunch of those handy. I think over all you'll be fine with the Gallagher auger.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
We have a Danuser. I agree with Eric- an auger is a simple tool, regardless of the manufacturer. If it used, you should be able to size it up pretty easy. U-joints, shear bolts, augers- pretty common stuff. If the frame is good with no stress cracks or other damage, and if you can check the gear oil and spin things to see how they sound/spin, then you should be able to size up the condition.

Ach

Equipment
Kubota B6000 DT with B219 Loader
Mar 1, 2011
Big Island, Hawaii, USA
Thanks for the input.

I'd love to get a new speco unit, but living in Hawaii shipping costs are murder.

I'm going to take a look at it next week. Hopefully I'll be digging tree and post holes like crazy soon.