BX24 Bleeding issue or fuel pump

mattman587

Equipment
BX24
Nov 12, 2018
HIlliard
Hello,

A couple weeks ago, I made the unfortunate mistake of letting my BX24 run out of fuel. The problem that resulted is that it will start and run every time, but it will intermittently lose power. This can be seen in the Tach gauge by going from full throttle of approximatley 3500 rpm down below 2000 rpm. It does this sporadically and I would guess that it is once a minute. When the RPMs dips, the engine will not stall, but will take 5-20 seconds to work its way out and get back to full throttle.

When I discovered this issue, my immediate thought was to bleed the fuel system once I put new fuel into it. I did this by following the manual and other posts and youtube videos. To do the bleeding, I did the following:

Opened the bolt above the fuel filter before the pistons to bleed air. Cranked engine until fuel came out of the bolt.

Cracked the bolts at the pistons individually and cranked the engine until fuel came out of each line. Once this was done, the problem persisted.

After bleeding the system several times, I decided to change both fuel filters and even ensure that they were as full as possible with fuel before I reinstalled them. I of course went through the bleeding process again, but the problem persisted.

So my question - am I missing something on the bleeding process or is there something else wrong? Is it possibly my fuel pump that is damaged at this point?

Thanks,
Matt

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The BX models have a known issue with the in line fuel filters clogging. The other known issue was the fuel gauge rusting and causing blockages in the fuel tank.

When was the last time the fuel filters were changed? I would look there first.

If new filters don't fix the issue, check where the fuel line hooks to the bottom of the tank for the feed to see if there is something intermittently blocking it or if there is a partial blockage.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I’m with Daren, but if you did filters, look to electric lift pump too. Follow his instructions to make sure good flow from tank, and keep moving forward toward injection pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mattman587

Equipment
BX24
Nov 12, 2018
HIlliard
Hi Daren,

Thanks for the response. I just replaced both fuel filters yesterday. There was definately some sediment in the both filters. Once I looked at them, I was thinking that this has to be the problem, but upon reinstall and further bleeding, the problem persisted.

I hate draining fuel tanks. But I did have a similar issue of a partial blockage on my zero turn one time. unfortunately, the tank is fairly full right now.

RCW - You made the comment, "look to electric lift pump too. Follow his instructions to make sure good flow from tank, and keep moving forward toward injection pump."

Is the elecric lift pump the fuel pump? If not, can you help explain what the difference is? Also, what are the instructions you are talking about. If there is something regarding this in the manual, I don't have the manual, but I would appreciate you pointing me towards what it is trying to do or achieve. I will find a manual online and go accordingly.

Thanks,
Matt

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
My ZD mowers have a similar fuel system as the BX tractors. On the ZD’s the electric lift pump will bleed the fuel system by returning fuel via a return line. I don’t know for sure that the BX machines have a return line, but if so, leaving the electric pump running without trying to start the engine will bleed the system.
Mine take considerable time to bleed via the lift pump, partly because I installed a large 2 micron filter after getting tired of the small 2 inline filters.
On edit:
I believe true for the BX - The lift pump looks like a small inline metal canister with wires. On the ZD it is found between the 2 filters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi Daren,

Thanks for the response. I just replaced both fuel filters yesterday. There was definately some sediment in the both filters. Once I looked at them, I was thinking that this has to be the problem, but upon reinstall and further bleeding, the problem persisted.

I hate draining fuel tanks. But I did have a similar issue of a partial blockage on my zero turn one time. unfortunately, the tank is fairly full right now.

RCW - You made the comment, "look to electric lift pump too. Follow his instructions to make sure good flow from tank, and keep moving forward toward injection pump."

Is the elecric lift pump the fuel pump? If not, can you help explain what the difference is? Also, what are the instructions you are talking about. If there is something regarding this in the manual, I don't have the manual, but I would appreciate you pointing me towards what it is trying to do or achieve. I will find a manual online and go accordingly.

Thanks,
Matt
Matt,

on your machine - the "pump" in the fuel pump - when you turn the key, to the run position ONLY - you should hear clicking.....or rather a pump doing the job. THE sound should be a constant ticking, if the "ticks" are not the same, there is air in the line. The manual states when changing fuel filters, turn key for 30 seconds - this will pump all the fluid through the system and push the air back into the tank.

If no ticking....bad pump or bad fuse

If constant ticking .....like for air somehow getting in the line.

Worst case - there is something in your tank that is restricting the flow.......I very probable cause.

Report back what you have found

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Matt - the electric lift pump is in line just after the first filter, bolted up under the frame. Looks like a steel filter. It pushes fuel at low pressure toward the next filter, then IP, etc. Just thought it might get gummed up if something got by first filter.

The instructions I meant were Daren’s about pulling fuel lines to make sure you have good flow. Best to start at tank, and move forward. Sorry, I wasn’t clear there.

Hokie gave a instructions on how to bleed lines on a BX, and to diagnose lift pump! Start there!
(I shouldn’t give advice from Lowe’s!)

Last edited:

mattman587

Equipment
BX24
Nov 12, 2018
HIlliard
First off, thanks to everyone for trying to help me out. It is appreciated and whenever you get into these troubleshooting scenarios, the suggestions and encouragement is always appreciated.

It sounds like the the lift pump, which I saw when I was changing the fuel filter closest to the fuel tank, needs to be checked. According to the comments above, I need to leave the key on, but not crank it to see if I hear any clicks or sound. I actually did hear something like that for a couple minutes yesterday after I was changed the fuel filters. I didn't know what it was at the time, but now I know what the noise was.

So my next step will be to turn the ignition on for 5-10 minutes but not crank and see if that helps allieviate my primary issue.

After that, I will drain the fuel tank. Check for debris and start checking lines.

Thanks,
Matt

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First off, thanks to everyone for trying to help me out. It is appreciated and whenever you get into these troubleshooting scenarios, the suggestions and encouragement is always appreciated.

It sounds like the the lift pump, which I saw when I was changing the fuel filter closest to the fuel tank, needs to be checked. According to the comments above, I need to leave the key on, but not crank it to see if I hear any clicks or sound. I actually did hear something like that for a couple minutes yesterday after I was changed the fuel filters. I didn't know what it was at the time, but now I know what the noise was.

So my next step will be to turn the ignition on for 5-10 minutes but not crank and see if that helps allieviate my primary issue.

After that, I will drain the fuel tank. Check for debris and start checking lines.

Thanks,
Matt
I would not turn the key for 5 or 10 minutes......
I minute will do it ......;)
Listen for change of sound - if so- check tank for restrictions

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep - Hokie got it. I’m back from Lowe’s now.... and maybe a little more on the ball....all things mentioned by Daren and Hokie are valid possibilities with a BX, but make sure you have it bled properly first.
We all try not to fix stuff that isn’t broken!

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yep - Hokie got it. I’m back from Lowe’s now.... and maybe a little more on the ball....all things mentioned by Daren and Hokie are valid possibilities with a BX, but make sure you have it bled properly first.
We all try not to fix stuff that isn’t broken!

Had a mechanic that used to work for us. I nicknamed him doom and gloom [emoji14] Guy would bypass the easy stuff and go right for the most difficult and expensive worst case issue before checking the foolish simple stuff :rolleyes:

99 percent of the time it was a simple minor issue that was the problem. Thankfully he didn't last very long and moved on to become some other companies head ache :D

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I nicknamed him doom and gloom [emoji14] Guy would bypass the easy stuff and go right for the most difficult and expensive worst case issue before checking the foolish simple stuff :rolleyes:

99 percent of the time it was a simple minor issue that was the problem.
Daren, you have MUCH more experience than me.

Gosh, sometimes I go that way with my own stuff....always fear the worst first. :eek:

While back couldn't get spark on wood chipper with Tecumseh engine....oh geez, coil, re-wring, etc... a little brush, brush, polish, polish, and re-gapping, and she fired right up! Cost - $0.... :cool:

I don't often throw parts first, because I'm cheap.:eek::eek:

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Hi mattman587.
I just bumped the thread I started about my issue with my BX24 fuel issue. It’s in this same section “Service, Repair, and Maintenance”. This will most likely help you fix your problem. Good Luck.