Strange Hour display l3301

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I noticed on my hour meter it is alternating between hours then displays P0336 . I can't find nothing but error codes so I am clueless. Help !

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
P0336 can be cleared from the panel. But unless it's cleared from the ECU, it will cause a 25% power reduction and the code will come back in the panel at some point.

P0336 is a crankshaft sensor abnormality trouble code.

Poohbear

Equipment
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
P0336 can be cleared from the panel. But unless it's cleared from the ECU, it will cause a 25% power reduction and the code will come back in the panel at some point.

P0336 is a crankshaft sensor abnormality trouble code.
Supposedly this code clears in the ECU with the key but doesn't clear on the display . I still haven't got to see.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Supposedly this code clears in the ECU with the key but doesn't clear on the display . I still haven't got to see.
It is stored in the ECU,-but it CAN be cleared via dealer's Diagmaster software, and that's the only way that I know of to clear codes from Kubota's.

It doesn't clear by cycling the key, unfortunately. Most of them don't even clear once the problem is fixed. Some....depending on the code, require a reset and/or reprogram. Some of the DPF stuff, you've got to reprogram some of the parameters in order for the DPF to work properly. That's one reason I highly suggest against a DIY DPF cleaning....and I have run into that before.

Someone mentioned OBD reader. Dunno where that info came from, but Kubota doesn't have an OBD II port. Theirs is different than OBD II automotive standard port. Diagmaster is the only software that I know of that works, but I'm all ears if another one has been found to work properly.

There "may" be a software update for your tractor that MIGHT make it less sensitive to "lugging" the engine which might cause a P0336 code. Call your dealer with your serial number, ask them to look to see if yours is affected. It "usually" only costs about a half hours' labor time-unless it's still got some warranty left on it. It makes a difference if you lug the engine a lot. With the update, uou won't see P0336 again unless you have a bigger problem.

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Assuming this tractor has emission equipment...

If the OP’s tractor is out of regular warranty, the sensor/issue may still be covered through the emissions warranty. It’s at least worth investigating.

Poohbear

Equipment
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
No you can't clear the code with the procedure in the link. I'll call the nearest dealer & see when they can look at it.
Now I wish this was as simple as my old Ford Jubilee. :eek:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No you can't clear the code with the procedure in the link. I'll call the nearest dealer & see when they can look at it.
Remind yourself this tractor has power steering and the Ford did not! :)

Poohbear

Equipment
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Found the fix. The procedure works when you know the COMPLRETE procedure. After getting the display to " b ", press & HOLD the park regen button for more than 2 seconds which starts clearing mode & display shows " push ", release switch . again push PR for more than 2 seconds & " off " displays,release then turn key off .

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Found the fix. The procedure works when you know the COMPLRETE procedure. After getting the display to " b ", press & HOLD the park regen button for more than 2 seconds which starts clearing mode & display shows " push ", release switch . again push PR for more than 2 seconds & " off " displays,release then turn key off .

That clears the code from the panel but not the ECU.

Poohbear

Equipment
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
That clears the code from the panel but not the ECU.
I honestly don't know the correct answer. A search of this problem has conflicting info. One Kubota service manual I found says ECU clears with key . I did both the scan & then the code clear. Tractor to me seems has no power issue but still calling service dept. will post conversation.
May have to stand out on the road with a signasking for donations to help a poor tractor owner fix his tractor :eek:

Poohbear

Equipment
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Just got off phone with nearest dealer, Pittsburg Tractor ( Tx ) , & they say I fixed it as long as code doesn't come back when restarted. I restarted several times & drove it around yesterday with no apparent issues. I still am clueless which info is correct.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sure am glad my units are pre tier 4. Only electric / electronic thing on mine is the fuel cutoff solenoid.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Just got off phone with nearest dealer, Pittsburg Tractor ( Tx ) , & they say I fixed it as long as code doesn't come back when restarted. I restarted several times & drove it around yesterday with no apparent issues. I still am clueless which info is correct.
Yes, you fixed it as long as it does not come back. You will not have any power derate or running issues. Using this procedure cleared code from your hour meter, but it is still stored on the EMU. That can only be cleared using Diagmaster.
It is fine to run it as is.

Poohbear

Equipment
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
I'm recovering from cataract surgery & cant really operate the tractor for another week. If it really runs ok will hold off for awhile then take in & get a complete service ( oil, filters, etc ) & get it flashed + any program update that has been done by Kubota.
May trade down to a new 2501 like I was fixing to do when I found this 3301. All I do is use it to mow & maintain 5 1/2 acres and we don't get snow except once in a blue moon so the difference in power is neglible.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Actually if you listen really closely, you'll notice that the engine runs very slightly rougher with the code stored. This is mostly noticeable at around 1400 RPM.

Also....if one looks really close at the program that is in the ECU, yes, it does "derate"-approx 15% with PO336. It has to do with how the crank sensor is ignored and then the cam sensor does the work-but the cam sensor is a LOT less sensitive as to the rotation and position, for one reason, gear lash. The clearance between the teeth of the crankshaft drive gear, idler gear, and then the cam gear...it's nowhere near as accurate (from a positioning standpoint) as the flywheel-which has about 90 holes drilled in the perimeter, and is bolted directly to the crankshaft. These engines need to know the position of the crankshaft to within about 0.25° of crankshaft rotation-which by the way, if you know what to look for in a datalog, you can see the crankshaft rotational "twisting" in the graph of the crank sensor. And you can see the speed change of the flywheel from a cylinder power stroke, then the "dead zone" between one cylinder's power stroke and another. It's that sensitive. But the cam sensor is not.

On the L2501, I like them. Same physical size, less torque and less power than the 3301 (considerably) with quite a bit more noise. The engine is loud and that's my ONLY complaint with the 2501.