Mx5800 FEL lift

Beaudeane

Equipment
MX5800, LA1065, BH92, BB72X, RT72.40, EA 60 in grapple, county line auger
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
I was cutting and pulling out some big blown down oak trees to take to the saw mill last couple days. Couple of the logs were cut pretty long and very heavy. Made me tighten up on the seat with the teeter totter effect I was getting while moving them with the grapple. On my trail thru the woods there was a huge rock I decided to dig out. It was sticking up above the ground a foot or so. I used the grapple and got it out of the ground. It was as big as a rear wheel on the tractor or bigger. The tractor wouldn’t lift it to move it. Was a push it outta the way deal to get it moved. I had a 6 ft bush hog on back for counter weight. Was thinking the FEL shoulda lifted the rear of the tractor while trying to lift the rock rather than the relief valve to kick in, but it wouldn’t. Probably safer that it didn’t. Does it sound like the pressure is set low because of not lifting the rear off the ground or am was asking too much for it to have lifted it? I have never checked nor do I know how to check the hydro pressure on my tractor. I’m guessing the rock weighs well over a ton. Seemed like the relief was kicking in while trying to lift it. I had the rpm set up to the 540 pto setting. Thanks for any insight in advance

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
My guess is that you pressure is correct. A rock that size probably weights well over a ton. It’s a safety relief valve to keep you from messing up your loader or tractor. If it did pick up the rear wheels the weight of the tractor, loader and bush hog would have been all on the front axle of your tractor and that’s a lot of weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I have about 2000 of ballast on mine and move skids about the same weight or just slightly more with my fork attachment all the time with our MX5800 I’m guess you didn’t have enough ballast and the bypass was going for that reason or that Rock was a lot heavier then you thought it was.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Beau.

A rock about the size of the rear wheel !!

So on average the rock weighs 150 to 170 lbs per cubic foot, type dependent.

Could be 15 to 20 cubic feet of mass in that rock. Even taking the lowest values noted above, that rock exceeds the capacity of your loader.

The 5200 and 5800 rated loader capacities were reduced from previous 5000 series. The emissions equipment required the carrier be extended forward from the enginge block to the bumper. Then to keep loader reach the same as previous series, lift capacity suffered slightly.

Bottom line, suggest your capacity is fine, your appetite for loader overload seems to be the issue.

When I have a big rock to move, I don't. My lull will carry it, but to what end?

So I dig a deep hole next to the rock right where it sits. Push, Cover, forget about it. My climate is cold so the bottom of the rock is always well below frost line, insures heaving not a future issue.

I dont want to lift more than a ton w/ my Kubota, have little use for a two piece tractor !!

Last edited:

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
10-4. Yes it was a big ol rock. Will put the BH on & bury it off the trail. Thx guys

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Take the BHog off the back (which is a cantalievered weight and it will lift the back wheels, My M 9 has cast iron factory weights on each wheel and I can still loft the them if I get over zealous. My 105 don't. Easy to check hydraulic pressure. Buy a liquid fill gauge, 0-3000 psi. some fittings and a quick coupler and snap it on a line and energize that line, you'll see right away the pressure produced I keep a fitted gauge in the tractor to check the hydraulics on my balers. Hardware store won't have what you need but any hydraulic supply place will as will Parker Hydraulics.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Also consider the weight of your grapple. Not sure which you have, but they an weigh 300-800 lbs depending on the brand/type. That takes away from the FEL lift capacity. You could try pallet forks, but it does sound like you had a really big one. My M62 lifts just under 3 tons a bit off the ground...and that rock as big as a tractor wheel was probably too much for my machine.

Sapper50

Equipment
L6060, FEL with 4-1 bucket, Top and Tilt, Single tooth ripper, box blade, etc
Oct 10, 2017
Graham, Washington USA
Yup
Those are leaverite rocks

We have em here in Western Washington and I run the same base platform (L6060) as yours
Leaverite there where you found it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beaudeane

Equipment
Mar 9, 2018
Dalton, Ga
That’s a Leaverite there rock, that’s perfect. Lol thx for the laugh

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Need a bigger tractor if you expect to lift stuff like that.

Either that or an excavator.

Be careful with it...real easy to tip a tractor over and even easier to KILL yourself by a load rolling back off of the loader.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Need a bigger tractor if you expect to lift stuff like that.

Either that or an excavator.

Be careful with it...real easy to tip a tractor over and even easier to KILL yourself by a load rolling back off of the loader.
Agree, keep it as low as possible.

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
Here's how I moved a large one recently, with the same tractor. Old car hood under it and chains. Worked pretty well, and I moved it a half a mile

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mister

Jul 13, 2018
Northwest
And here's another one I moved. Pallet forks work better than the FEL generally. Notice the big rock on the right in the distance. That's the huge one I dragged over on the car hood and set there

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk