new tractor stalling

silverfinch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601
Oct 16, 2018
Cornish, NH
I just got my B2601 delivered 2 days ago. It has less than 2 hours on it. It seems to run fine, but then it will lose power/rpms for no apparent reason every few minutes. Usually it stalls and the engine stops, but it will sometimes recover and avoid stalling. It always starts right back up again.

I'm new to tractors, so maybe I'm doing something stupid. I plan to call the dealer, but he's closed today. I figured I'd check in with people here for theories. One theory we have is the seat kill switch could be faulty. Otherwise, I see some old post about stalling that point to fuel issues. Given how new it is, that seems unlikely to me (also that it starts back up easily).

I have a FEL and RCR1548 Land Pride brush hog mower on it, though it will stall when neither is in use.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Best bet is seat switch. See if you can make it happen by fidgeting or leaning forward slightly while moving forward. For some of the newer B tractors, eg my B2650, the seat sensor is in a pad that velcros to the seat in the middle. My dealer changed mine, but I still have trouble occasionally depending on which coat I have on. First winter I sat on a piece of styrofoam to apply pressure to the sensor.

Enjoy your new tractor!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Either the OP switch or it's sucking air. I'd check the fuel filter for tightness and the secondary bowl/filter for tightness as well. If that fails, call the dealer, it's new I presume.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Best bet is seat switch. See if you can make it happen by fidgeting or leaning forward slightly while moving forward. For some of the newer B tractors, eg my B2650, the seat sensor is in a pad that velcros to the seat in the middle. My dealer changed mine, but I still have trouble occasionally depending on which coat I have on. First winter I sat on a piece of styrofoam to apply pressure to the sensor.

Enjoy your new tractor!
I second Sheep's post - too little weight will cause a pain in the brain!:D:)

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Definitely check the seat sensor. My B2601 does the same thing if I lean forward or too much to the side. It's a hassle cause I'm usually just trying to look at what I'm scooping with the bucket or forks and just shift my weight a little too much.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
A non issue on both my M's because they are designed to have the PTO operate with the seat empty so I get a buzzer if the OP sensor is triggered but the tractors keep on keeping on....

silverfinch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601
Oct 16, 2018
Cornish, NH
Thanks for the replies. I'm planning to go out today (though, it's cold, brrr) and do some seat wiggling to see if it will trigger.

I actually went out after I posted yesterday and stood up while moving to trigger the seat and it did happen, though I recovered easily by sitting back. It didn't really feel the same, but it's hard to be sure.

I'm going to call the dealer and see what they say too. It's really their problem given how new this is. I'm trying not to get pissed off about it.

If it is the seat and becomes an on-going problem, I'd have to consider disabling it. I know some guys do that, though it's bad to disable safety features.

When the stall happens and I've got the brush hog going, there's a lot of unhappy clunking from the mower as the blades spin down and stop suddenly. Maybe, that's normal for this kind of mower, but it sounds terrible.

I'll check the fuel filter to make sure it's tight. I'm unsure where the secondary is, but I'll try to track that down. Maybe that's more for the dealer to check on too.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Dollars to donuts, it's the seat switch. Before you resort to disabling, determine at what point it kills the engine. You may be able to adjust it, or how you're sitting. I've learned at what point of leaning forward triggers mine, and I'm conscious not to lean that far forward. It stays running, and I stay safer.

silverfinch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601
Oct 16, 2018
Cornish, NH
I had a much better day today. I used the tractor brush hogging for 2.5 hours or so, and it never stalled. I'm not sure what was different or what the problem was yesterday exactly. But, it was really nice to use the new tractor. It performed great and felt great. I'm pleased with the mowing results.

I did have a few momentary losses of power, but always quickly recovered (fraction of a second). I'm not sure what's going on with that. It may be the seat position or may be some minor fuel issue. When the power loss started, I'd instinctively push back on the seat and it always recovered. But, it all happens so fast, it's hard to be sure what's going on.

I also did a lot of shifting/leaning in the seat to try to trigger it and could never get it to happen. When it did start today, it often seemed to be when I was mowing on a slight downward slope. But, it's hard to be sure and I mostly just want to do the mowing so I didn't spend a lot of time trying to get it to happen again.

I'm glad I didn't call the dealer since I doubt I could have reproduced it if he came out. I may still talk to them to see what they think it may have been, but it's not a priority. I'm in a bit of a race to finish mowing the field before it snows now. There haven't been many non-rainy days.

I don't like that I'm not certain what the cause of the stalls is, but it's great to be using the tractor effectively.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Silverfinch, you've got the problem isolated. Now you need to fine tune the adjustment, or eat more pizzas to gain some weight!

silverfinch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601
Oct 16, 2018
Cornish, NH
I do need to slide the seat forward a bit. I wasn't sure if there was an adjustment for that. I felt around under it while I was going and didn't find it. I'll look again.

I could definitely eat more pizza. I like that solution best.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
There should be a lever you can move to slide the seat forward and backwards. Glad to hear you are liking it!

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
As unpopular as my response will be, I'll still offer it:

My MX5800 works really well, but there is a problem when using the forlift tines or hooking up to the bucket or grapple. I cannot see what I am doing accurately. I had two options - install a front mounted camera which would mean a large screen monitor or disable the seat switch so I can rise up to see. I opted to disable the switch. Now, I have no problem seeing, and I don't rise up very often. When I do stand, it is at a very slow speed. I see no risk involved for me. If I ever fall out of my seat (picturing myself unconscious), my hydrostatic tractor will stop.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
As unpopular as my response will be, I'll still offer it:

My MX5800 works really well, but there is a problem when using the forlift tines or hooking up to the bucket or grapple. I cannot see what I am doing accurately. I had two options - install a front mounted camera which would mean a large screen monitor or disable the seat switch so I can rise up to see. I opted to disable the switch. Now, I have no problem seeing, and I don't rise up very often. When I do stand, it is at a very slow speed. I see no risk involved for me. If I ever fall out of my seat (picturing myself unconscious), my hydrostatic tractor will stop.
I think it's a very reasonable response. I disabled my seat switch on my MX4800 with some black electrical tape wrap holding it down permanently. I agree with not being able to see the forks on this tractor when they are lowered. Pulling into a pallet can be pretty tough. I need to be able to lean way over or forward. This seat switch was quite sensitive. The one on my B2920 is far less sensitive, and even has a delay before the engine cuts out.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I think it's a very reasonable response. I disabled my seat switch on my MX4800 with some black electrical tape wrap holding it down permanently. I agree with not being able to see the forks on this tractor when they are lowered. Pulling into a pallet can be pretty tough. I need to be able to lean way over or forward. This seat switch was quite sensitive. The one on my B2920 is far less sensitive, and even has a delay before the engine cuts out.
New project for myself. Solder a 2 position in line switch. First position will allow current to flow through to the seat switch. Second position will be a bypass loop. So if I am changing a SSQA implement I will bypass. Switch it back to first position once hooked up.

silverfinch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601
Oct 16, 2018
Cornish, NH
Just to give an update and likely final post on this... The stalling or power loss issue hasn't come back. I'm at about 17 hour now and finished the big mowing job I had to do. Even the momentary ones I got on the 2nd day stopped happening.

I did adjust the seat forward a bit, though I'm unsure if that helped. I don't think my seat switch is the cause. It seems more like it was just some temporary issue in the fuel line that cleared itself, I don't know.

Anyway, I'm happy. The tractor did a great job brush hogging the 11 acre field.

03marauderman

Equipment
Kubota BX 23S
Sep 27, 2018
Plattekill
Experienced the same thing today clearing snow with my BX23S - as I wiggled in the seat, it wanted to stall...caught it all the times except once.... I have to admit I think its over sensitive....but I'll just have to get used to it....

603NorthCountry

Equipment
Kubota L4760 Cab,FEL, FEL Plow, Rake, Landplane, Tiller EA Box & grader
Dec 19, 2017
United States
Either the OP switch or it's sucking air. I'd check the fuel filter for tightness and the secondary bowl/filter for tightness as well. If that fails, call the dealer, it's new I presume.
I have been having the same issue with my B2650 for the last few months. The tractor has been great other than this. I changed the fuel filter and air filter. I treated the fuel. The stalling is still occurring after that maintenance. I have a replacement seat cut-off switch coming next week.

The question I have is where is the "secondary bowl/filter" you speak of in this post. Please send a photo or diagram. I only changed the main fuel filter on the right side of the tractor.

Also - "sucking air" - can you be a little more specific for me? is this a failed gasket?

Thanks,

KG

Tazman

Equipment
B2601
Jan 19, 2019
New England
I also have a B2601 and within the first hour of use it stalled a few times. My wife was unable to drive it also because when she pushed on the forward pedal, her weight came up enough for the seat switch to shut down the engine. I tipped the seat forward to look at the switch and the metal bracket that held it was bent downward and not really touching the seat. I bent the tab upwards to a flat and level position and have not had any problems since. Also the switch that is for the position for when the seat is forward was installed from the wrong direction and when the seat tab made contact it pushed it out from the bracket.