How to tell if dealer filled rear tires?

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
So I mow steep grass-covered dams. This spring I mowed a particularly steep dam with my L4310, R4 tires, 6-foot flail mower. I backed up the dam and then mowed down. It was fine, no traction issues. This fall I am using my brand new MX4800 with the same exact flail mower on the same dam. Well, I can only back halfway up the dam, rear tires are bouncing and basically coming off the ground. I ended up removing the loader completely and the tractor was able to back up the whole slope. With the L4310, I left the loader on. I realize the MX4800 loader is a little larger and heavier, but not night and day. The MX has R1 tires on it which grip incredibly well, too.

SO...my conclusion is despite the dealer telling me they did so...did they forget to load the tires? How can I tell? Drive forward and stop with the valve stems on the bottom, then try to let some air out and see if fluid comes out?

Thanks in advance.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Even with the stems at 12 O'Clock, bleeding a little, it filled, will 'spit' a little. At 10O'Clock, straight liquid.
My filled tires 'spit' still when checking pressure after three years.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Thanks. I will check today.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
So I mow steep grass-covered dams. This spring I mowed a particularly steep dam with my L4310, R4 tires, 6-foot flail mower. I backed up the dam and then mowed down. It was fine, no traction issues. This fall I am using my brand new MX4800 with the same exact flail mower on the same dam. Well, I can only back halfway up the dam, rear tires are bouncing and basically coming off the ground. I ended up removing the loader completely and the tractor was able to back up the whole slope. With the L4310, I left the loader on. I realize the MX4800 loader is a little larger and heavier, but not night and day. The MX has R1 tires on it which grip incredibly well, too.

SO...my conclusion is despite the dealer telling me they did so...did they forget to load the tires? How can I tell? Drive forward and stop with the valve stems on the bottom, then try to let some air out and see if fluid comes out?

Thanks in advance.
My dealer puts Rim Guard labels on the rims near the valve stem. They also replace the factory neoprene valve stem with a metal water valve.

Recently, I noticed the labels and valve stems on my B3350 and questioned my dealer because I did not pay for Rim Guard and do not want it. Yes, they made a mistake and loaded the rears because most folks want it. I repair/change my own tires so do not.

Yes, I tested with the valve stem at 12 O'clock and they spit. I also removed the wheels/tires to install wheel spacers and they are considerably heavier than I expected them to be.

Hope I do not have any punctures because I'll have a problem if I do.

SDT

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Thanks SDT. I noticed the valve stems are metal but I can't remember if they came this way or not. I bought the tractor new and once you buy it, it goes into the shop for "prep" for like a week and then you get it. They allegedly loaded the rear with Rim Guard, which I wanted for my application. All of my tractors are loaded, although the L4310 (2002 model year) has calcium chloride and the rims are showing it.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks SDT. I noticed the valve stems are metal but I can't remember if they came this way or not. I bought the tractor new and once you buy it, it goes into the shop for "prep" for like a week and then you get it. They allegedly loaded the rear with Rim Guard, which I wanted for my application. All of my tractors are loaded, although the L4310 (2002 model year) has calcium chloride and the rims are showing it.
Metal valve stems is a very good indication of liquid ballast.

Kubota ships small tractors with tubeless tires with neoprene valve stems.

SDT

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Look at them in the early morning after a cool night. Condensation will often form a line at the liquid level.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
If the dealer did it correctly they should fix them to about 75% (ie 2 and 10 o clock). So if you open the needle at any lower spot in the wheel rotation (say 3 or 4 o'clock) it should flow fluid not air. if air, then you have no fluid.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The R4s on the other tractor were probably wider = more fluid = more weight
The other tractor had 17.5 x 24 and this one has 14.9 x 26. According to the ballast chart, that is 75 lbs per tire less on this tractor, so good point.

BUT...removing the 350lb bucket did not change the feel. It wasn't until I took the whole 1600lb loader off that the feel drastically changed. I'm thinking the lighter loader on the L4310 and the additional weight in the rears must have made the difference.

Job is done, so I'm happy.

troverman

Equipment
Jun 9, 2015
NH
How did you come to this conclusion? Just curious how you figured it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty easy...valve stem happened to be sitting around the 7 o'clock position based on where the tractor was parked. I just took the valve stem cap off and used a pocket knife to push on the schraeder valve...fluid came out, not air.

Auafahrt

Jun 28, 2018
Vermont
Recently, I noticed the labels and valve stems on my B3350 and questioned my dealer because I did not pay for Rim Guard and do not want it. I repair/change my own tires so do not.

SDT
How often do you need to repair/change a tire on your tractor?

traumadoc2b

Equipment
B2650 LA534 BH77 bucket forks snow blade box blade flail grapple harrow rake
Oct 31, 2017
Indiana
Look at them in the early morning after a cool night. Condensation will often form a line at the liquid level.
+1 for this from torch

I wasn't super skeptical, but wondered too - if the dealer had filled them as requested. That was until I noticed the described condensation about 3/4 of the way up the tire.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I had doubts mine were filled as well. Ended up checking the tires with the stems at around 6:00 or so. Soy sauce looking stuff is what came out. Lol.

I have a photo somewhere of my phone of the condensation creating a frost line on my tires. Very obvious to tell then as well.

SilveradoBrian

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1884 cutter, GS2584 scraper, PFL3048 pallet forks, Titan tree puller
Feb 17, 2019
Hamersville, OH
One thing to watch for when checking. My valve stems were on the inside of the tire, so I reached my arm in to remove the cap to check the pressure (I had just gotten the tractor). All of a sudden Old Faithful erupts, soaking my arm and splattering me with beet juice everywhere else. I managed to get the cap back on without losing more than a gallon or so. Come to find out the stem is a three piece thing, one attached to the tire, one contains the valve, and then the cap. I had taken both outer pieces off. I made sure to snug down the valve section with pliers. My wife nearly delivered a brick when she saw me splattered with what looked like old blood.