B2601 hill mowing advice

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
...I mostly mow up and down but I'm using all 26hp to pull the tractor and rear mower up the hill. I can only do it in low range but it gets the job done.
Oh yeah, agree completely. My B-series is 29HP and with a 4-foot flail mower in tow, even wide open throttle can cause the tractor to struggle up hills. To the point where the RPMs start to drop and some black smoke comes out the exhaust.

silverfinch

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601
Oct 16, 2018
Cornish, NH
Here's a follow-up since I finished mowing.

I managed to do the steeper areas I had been concerned about. I put them off until I had done most of the other mowing. This helped since I gained confidence with the tractor the more I used it.

What ended up working best for me was to just drive straight up and down the steep parts. It was a lot like it had been with the ATV mowing setup I had. I used low gear, 4WD, and took it slow with the FEL fairly low. I didn't slide and only had to back off and re-align a little a couple times when I got onto a bump.

The tractor feels more unstable than the ATV when traveling sideways on an mild incline. I had mowed this way with the ATV for some of the lesser inclined areas. With the tractor I changed most of my rows to be more aligned with the hill's up/down angle even when it wasn't that steep. That worked out well too.

Apart from a rough first day when I had some fluke stalling issue (which I mentioned in another topic), the tractor worked well. It's a nice upgrade from what I'd been using before. I'm glad I got it and feel like mowing the field should be no problem in future years.