BX24 Fuel Issue

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
No didn't try to blow the blockage back in first. Once I found the problem I knew a good cleaning of the tank was in order so it had to come off anyway.
So you didn't really find the problem? You said that you didn't really see any crud come out of the tank. I still have my problem. I used my tractor and after about a half hour it did the low RPM thing. It's not anywhere as bad as yours was but it is annoying and worrisome.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Well I've got my Witches Brew. Power Services web site says the Bio-Kleen and Clear Diesel can be used together.
20180915_150715.jpg

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
So you didn't really find the problem? You said that you didn't really see any crud come out of the tank. I still have my problem. I used my tractor and after about a half hour it did the low RPM thing. It's not anywhere as bad as yours was but it is annoying and worrisome.
Yes and no.
I found the outlet on the tank blocked. That was the problem. I didn't find out what was blocking the outlet. I am going to treat for algae and slime in the tank. Basically, clean the tank. The three Power Service products cost $50 on sale. I stopped by the Kubota dealer, new tank $250. If the products work I should have a "new" tank. My only worries then will be the bulkhead fittings, (4), in the tank developing a leak after reinstalling the tank. The bulkhead fittings are not available at the dealer, you have to buy the tank.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Yes and no.
I found the outlet on the tank blocked. That was the problem. I didn't find out what was blocking the outlet.
How did you unblock it?

once unblocked? anything "rattling" around in there?

If something man-made, I would think you could "shake" it out. If organic - I would think that a small wire would have it out to where you could shake it out???

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
How did you unblock it?

once unblocked? anything "rattling" around in there?

If something man-made, I would think you could "shake" it out. If organic - I would think that a small wire would have it out to where you could shake it out???
I first tried to pressurize the tank. I used a blow gun and a piece of plastic over the filler neck. It wasn't a perfect seal but you could see the tank swell. No luck blowing it out through the outlet fitting. I then put the air gun into the outlet, blew into the tank and it cleared the blockage with very little effort. I then drained three gallons of fuel through that fitting with no issues. The last three quarts in clear jars. All three gallons through a filter. Nothing ended up in the filter and the three quarts were clean.
After I drained the three gallons, there was I would guess between one and two quarts left, I shook the tank to mix up whatever may have been in there and poured it out. I used two of the three quarts to do this again two more times. I never heard anything rattling around.
Today I took a white rag attached to a stick and rubbed it around wherever I could reach and it came out clean. I have no idea what blocked the outlet. Whatever it was it got worse over time. The length of time the tractor ran got shorter. So I am going to treat for algae and slime and hope for the best. It is very tempting to spend the $250 for a new tank and guarantee no issues. I spent 20% of that to save a 12 +\- year old tank and when you factor in the four bulkhead fittings in the tank held in with rubber seals it's a crap shoot as to how much longer they'll last. Especially with me working on/around, handling, and jostling the tank. I'm trying the cheap route. We all know how that can go.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
.... If organic - I would think that a small wire would have it out to where you could shake it out???
The bulkhead fittings in the tank are 90 degree metal fittings, ( brass? ). They are the square block type. No getting any substantial size wire through them.

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
NEWLY>> Just be careful using all that "stuff"..
When using an additive, its very important to read AND FOLLOW the directions..
I've seen additives eat an injection pump from the inside..
One guy did it 3 TIMES.!!! even after being told about the problem..
He never fessed-up about what he was using or how much.. so that remains a mystery.
{He prob. dumped a 100 gal. bottle in a 20 gal. tank}
BUT it does happen.. I've seen it 1st hand.
Just a "heads-up"..

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
NEWLY>> Just be careful using all that "stuff"..
Just a "heads up"....
Thanks. My intentions are a "normal" dose of Bio-Kleen and Clear Diesel together and done with additives in that tank. The manufacturer's website says those two can be used together. I really don't think I need to use the Bio-Kleen, an algaecide, since I am putting fresh fuel in. But I don't think a normal dose can hurt. That tank is going to take awhile to use up. Then run the silver bottle after that.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
So at some point I am going to try the easy route and disconnect the hose from the first filter and drain the tank and try blowing into that hose back into the tank. from what you have learned trough your ordeal do you think that this might help the situation?

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
For those of you that have had this problem and managed to clean out the tank solve it, save yourself future headaches and put a screen filter in the filler neck of the tank. It won't solve all the problems like algae and rust, but will keep trash from entering the fuel tank.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
So at some point I am going to try the easy route and disconnect the hose from the first filter and drain the tank and try blowing into that hose back into the tank. from what you have learned trough your ordeal do you think that this might help the situation?
It's funny that you asked the question. I've asked myself the same question, repeatedly. When I cleared the blockage with the air gun the fuel flowed. Will the Bio-Kleen or Clear Diesel disolve the problem and let it pass through the system? Don't know. Bottom line myself and all of us know the tank needed cleaned. My only concern at this point is the age of the tank and whether it will last long enough to make all of this work worth fixing it versus replacing it.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I had the same problem with my BX24 I found some rust in my tank so I assumed it came from one of the metal cans I used to fill it with about a year later I had to rip the tank out again for the same problem found rust again but this time I never filled it out of anything but plastic 5 gal containers a good friend of mine is a mechanic at one of the local dealerships and told me to pull the tank float/level indicator because they rust and sure enough it had a considerable amount of loose rust on it so I replace it and have not had any problems since.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
My only concern at this point is the age of the tank and whether it will last long enough to make all of this work worth fixing it versus replacing it.
I plead ignorance but isn't the tank plastic, what about the tank would make you think it might fail at some point?

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
For those of you that have had this problem and managed to clean out the tank solve it, save yourself future headaches and put a screen filter in the filler neck of the tank. It won't solve all the problems like algae and rust, but will keep trash from entering the fuel tank.
Does anyone have a source for such a thing? I would be interested.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I plead ignorance but isn't the tank plastic, what about the tank would make you think it might fail at some point?
You're right the tank is plastic. The problem as I see it is the four metal fittings entering and exiting the tank. One is the outlet to the fuel pumps, the second is the return line, and three and four is the vent from side to side to allow the complete filling of the tank. They are held in with some type of "rubber?" seals. I was at the dealer looking at the exploded view and those parts were not listed as available.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I had the same problem with my BX24 I found some rust in my tank so I assumed it came from one of the metal cans I used to fill it with about a year later I had to rip the tank out again for the same problem found rust again but this time I never filled it out of anything but plastic 5 gal containers a good friend of mine is a mechanic at one of the local dealerships and told me to pull the tank float/level indicator because they rust and sure enough it had a considerable amount of loose rust on it so I replace it and have not had any problems since.
Thanks for the info. I still have access to it. I'll check. Still have the BX24? If so any issues with the seals between the plastic tank and metal bulkhead fittings?

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Thanks for the info. I still have access to it. I'll check. Still have the BX24? If so any issues with the seals between the plastic tank and metal bulkhead fittings?
No I never had any issues there. I traded it towards a L3901.

Here is the part number for the Fuel Sensor K2581-61370

You might be able to just clean the loose rust off of yours mine was still working but rusted bad so I replaced it.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I pulled the sending unit out today and not one spec of rust. So I still don't know what the contamination was in the tank.
Hey Ed is this the same style fuel level sending unit you had? The metal on this one looks plated, (galvanized?).
20180917_102759.jpg

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
Unfortunately I could not find a pre-made screen for the BX23 filler neck and had to fabricate one myself. It is made from a stainless steel screen taken from a tea strainer found on Evil Bay and some modified white plastic plumbing adapters.

Attachments