BX24 Fuel Issue

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
History.
Back in June my BX24 would "Almost" stall right in the middle of running. Running time for issue to appear, 20-30 minutes. Running RPM's are 2500-3000. The engine would stumble to below 1000 rpm and I would push the throttle back and wait for it to recover. I could continue but the issue would reappear in 5 minutes or less.
Solution #1
I figured dirty filters and changed both fuel filters. I thought I had the issue fixed because the stalling disappeared or so I thought. I was using the tractor about 30-45 minutes at a time. In August I was running and the stalling started again so I figured crud in the tank. I am using Power Service, (white or silver bottle depending on the season), so I am assuming algae, water or dirt issues are being dealt with. Changed the filters twice in August.
Solution #2
The tractor will now only run about 5 minutes before a stall. After changing the filters a few times and opening up the filters to inspect and finding nothing I changed the electric fuel pump. There is no change in operation.
Solution #3
I had been trying to avoid the hassle of pulling the fuel tank as long as I could.
This Friday I am pulling/flushing the tank and filling up with fresh fuel.
Question
Up until this issue the tractor has been trouble free. It still starts good and runs very good, before the almost stalling.
Is there anything else I may be over looking?

P.S. I have not been using the tractor for a long time with this issue. Meaning, when the trouble surfaced I dealt with it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Before pulling the tank, try running it with the fuel tank cap loose/off to make sure it's venting.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Hadn't thought of that. Easy to check. Will do tonight.
Thanks.

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
I am very interested with what you find. My BX24 is doing the same thing, but not as often. I have changed the air filter with no change and I have replaced the fuel filters and it hasn't happened since but I haven't used my tractor too much since I changed the fuel filters. I'm in a wait and see mode.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I would try pulling the fuel line off the first fuel filter, and make sure you get a good flow.

Does it stumble regardless of the amount of fuel in the tank?

Do you hear the "clicking" of the lift pump when you turn the key?

I more suspect bad/restricted flow, but sometimes a bad electric lift pump (located just after the first fuel filter underneath) can cause some intermittent starvation issues. A way to check it is pull fuel line off filter at engine, and turn the key to activate the lift pump. It's not high pressure or flow, but it should flow.

Some guys have said their tractor would run when tank was full, but have problems when tank was not full.

Last edited:

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Ok, ran the loose fuel cap test.
The tractor is in the garage, the barn is a 1/4 mile away.
Fuel filters new, fuel transfer pump is new, fuel tank is 3/4's full, sun is shini...:p
Turn the key on wait 15 seconds, (10 seconds of that warming the glow plugs), turn key to start and it starts right up. Turn on stop watch, raise rpm's to 2700 and start the trip to the barn. Tractor is running great. Get 2/3's of the way to the barn, (2 minutes 45 seconds), and the engine stumbles. I push the throttle back to idle and wait for the rpm's to return back up to idle speed from the drop down to 800. When the idle is back up to normal I boost it up to 2000 and head back to the garage with some stumbles on the way.

I have tested the new fuel transfer upon installation. I used it to purge the air from the opened fuel line from the install.

Tomorrow it looks like the fuel tank removal is next.

Any more ideas are welcome.
Thanks.

P.S. Since the tractor is not used as much as when new I keep the fuel tank full to reduce the chances of condensation and contamination. I have not put fuel back in after the last couple uses in anticipation of having to pull the fuel tank.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Newly - my apologies, I missed the new lift pump in your first post item #2.....

I would still pull that line off the first filter and see what you get for flow. Hell, if it runs out quickly, let 'er rip to see if plugs with trash, leaves, etc. You will also see if it the fuel appears clean.

Just thinking it may give you an idea if the tank is really gummed up with crud or not......Hate to pull a clean tank.....

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Newly - my apologies, I missed the new lift pump in your first post item #2.....

I would still pull that line off the first filter and see what you get for flow. Hell, if it runs out quickly, let 'er rip to see if plugs with trash, leaves, etc. You will also see if it the fuel appears clean.

Just thinking it may give you an idea if the tank is really gummed up with crud or not......Hate to pull a clean tank.....
Good idea. hate to say it, but, have you checked the fuel filters for direction of flow???? Sorry, just checking.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
have you checked the fuel filters for direction of flow???? Sorry, just checking.
Many of us have done stupid stuff like that before. I know I never have....[emoji12]

If you haven’t, then you’re lying, or never done anything![emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I am very interested with what you find. My BX24 is doing the same thing, but not as often. I have changed the air filter with no change and I have replaced the fuel filters and it hasn't happened since but I haven't used my tractor too much since I changed the fuel filters. I'm in a wait and see mode.
I hope you don't have to do what I did!

I pulled out the fuel tank today. What a half of a pain in the A$$ that was. The other half will be tomorrow putting it back in.

First thing I did was unhook the fuel line at the filter to drain it and just got drops. That's not good. I then pressurized the tank no luck, I can see the tank swell but it wouldn't push out the blockage. When I got the tank out I put the air gun to the outlet on the tank and cleared the blockage. I drained three gallons of fuel through a filter through that outlet and caught nothing. The last half gallon or so I sloshed around and dumped. Used two more quarts for two more sloshes and dumps and never saw any crud. Tomorrow before I put it back together I'm going to call the dealer and price a new tank.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Not sure I want to do this again. So we'll see what a new tank costs.
So do you guys have any sure fire ways to clean out a fuel tank?
20180914_181154.jpg

thepumpguysc

Aug 8, 2018
Sunny South Carolina
Does it have a removable petcock/fitting?? does it have a filter/screen on it??
If it were mine, I'd just keep an eye on it.. rather than spend 500.00 on a tank.. but that's just me.. I'm "frugal"..
See post #5 & 7.. coulda saved u A BUNCH of time..

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Newlyme Not sure I want to do this again. So we'll see what a new tank costs.

This probably does not apply to your situation, but I've cleaned out fuel tanks by putting a quart of 3/4" gravel in them and attach with bungees to the rear wheel on a lawn mower and then mow the lawn. It SURE loosens rust!

Or put it in a cement mixer and agitate the rocks!

Maybe you have something GROWING in there and need an algicide, like Bio Kleen by Power Service.

Last edited:

rnbrn21

Equipment
BX24
Aug 18, 2015
Rochester,NY,USA
I hope you don't have to do what I did!
I already did that to my tractor once. I had to replace the HSD fan, and that looks to be just about the same amount of work. Did you try to blow out the blockage before you pulled the tank? I wonder if that would have broke up the blockage and let it drain out the hose.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Newlyme Not sure I want to do this again. So we'll see what a new tank costs.

This probably does not apply to your situation, but I've cleaned out fuel tanks by putting a quart of 3/4" gravel in them and attach with bungees to the rear wheel on a lawn mower and then mow the lawn. It SURE loosens rust.

Maybe you have something GROWING in there and need an algicide, like Bio Kleen by Power Service.
I thought about gravel and swishing it around but I have no way of knowing how successful I would be at cleaning the tank or how successful at removing it when I was done.
I looked up Bio-Kleen on the Power Service web site and also saw another product, Clear Diesel Fuel and Tank cleaner. Tracking both down now locally.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I already did that to my tractor once. I had to replace the HSD fan, and that looks to be just about the same amount of work. Did you try to blow out the blockage before you pulled the tank? I wonder if that would have broke up the blockage and let it drain out the hose.
No didn't try to blow the blockage back in first. Once I found the problem I knew a good cleaning of the tank was in order so it had to come off anyway.

It's funny about the HST fan. I was almost wishing it was broken so I could fix it to! "Almost", being the key word. :)

I did give the HST a good cleaning though. That mud gets in everywhere.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
........You will also see if it the fuel appears clean.

I caught three quarts of fuel in three clear jars. It was clean, very clean.
Today will be the white glove test. I may have to enlist the help of the Mrs. My hands are too Big and Manly to fit inside the tank! :p

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
North Idaho Wolfman has mentioned a biocide he gets at NAPA, but I don't remember the name. Might check with you local store.