MX5800 first oil change

SolbergDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800HST w/LA1065 FEL, Bobcat forks, QH10, RB3784, BB3584, RTA1274
Jul 12, 2018
PHILLIPS, WI
First oil change on my MX5800, and I have concerns. Drained the oil, both drain plugs. Removed filter and drained that into my catch pan. checked dipstick, not sure why, but it was empty, I wish I would have checked before I started.
New filter and I poured in 2 gallons, started tractor, checked for leaks, let it run a few minutes. Checked dip stick and was all the way to the top!!! Capacity is supposed to be 10 qts (2.5g) I thought, oils still draining down from inside engine. I waited an hour, same thing, right at top. IDK. Is the capacity really 10qts? I drained my catch pan back into oil jugs and did not get a full 2 gals. I know I must have a full drain because new oil on stick is very clean. Right now I'm actually worried I'm too full. I found quite a few contradictions and bad wording between operator manual and shop manual. Is the stated capacity right?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Kubota sends the tractors a little low on oil. It's supposed to be topped off by whoever does the PDI before you get it. Quite commonly on the L series about a quart low. Don't know why they do that--nobody's given me a clear answer.

And the books (ops and WSM) are rarely correct on capacities. Fill it until the oil level reaches the "full" mark, or close, and you'll be fine. On DPF equipped tractors such as your MX5800, a little lower than full is better than over full. Actually those two marks on the stick aren't low and full. They're low and high. As long as the oil level's between them, it's fine.

Also be aware that if you're not parked and checking the oil on a completely level surface, you'll get astray readings on your dipstick-and speaking from experience, it does not take much off-level to make a big difference on the stick. Just went through this, and found out that my shop floor isn't level. It's settled quite a bit over the years.

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
....Also be aware that if you're not parked and checking the oil on a completely level surface, you'll get astray readings on your dipstick....
Good point Lugbolt. I don't usually have a nice level garage floor handy; too much junk in the way to pull tractor in. I always place a 2ft level on the fender and level tractor in two directions to assure consistent dipstick reading. If not the fender then some other spot and use that same spot every time. That may be a little excessive but it is good peace of mind as I can tell how much if any oil consumption by engine.

SolbergDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800HST w/LA1065 FEL, Bobcat forks, QH10, RB3784, BB3584, RTA1274
Jul 12, 2018
PHILLIPS, WI
Kubota sends the tractors a little low on oil. It's supposed to be topped off by whoever does the PDI before you get it. Quite commonly on the L series about a quart low. Don't know why they do that--nobody's given me a clear answer.

And the books (ops and WSM) are rarely correct on capacities. Fill it until the oil level reaches the "full" mark, or close, and you'll be fine. On DPF equipped tractors such as your MX5800, a little lower than full is better than over full. Actually those two marks on the stick aren't low and full. They're low and high. As long as the oil level's between them, it's fine.

Also be aware that if you're not parked and checking the oil on a completely level surface, you'll get astray readings on your dipstick-and speaking from experience, it does not take much off-level to make a big difference on the stick. Just went through this, and found out that my shop floor isn't level. It's settled quite a bit over the years.
Just a followup. Everything is fine, I guess the oil capacity is 8 qts max, probably 7 is where I need to be. NOT the 10 stated in OP and WSM.
After reading reply from Lugbolt, explained why oil taken out was so low, also I went back and carefully read the manual [shouldn't have to do this for a oil change] and what i misread/misunderstood was the very poor representation of the dipstick range. In the manual it appears like the marks are 1/2" apart, so I assumed bottom of dipstick and first mark. Then looking closer, there is a mark at the very top of the flat part of the dipstick, like 3" from the bottom mark, didn't even see that before. Anyways took a pint out, was just below top mark and have been using the tractor and monitoring, all should be well.
Thanks for the help.

tnmike

Equipment
mx5800
Nov 13, 2018
Jacksonvillle, Fl US
For what it's worth i have experienced the same headache. I have no idea how an engine spec in an owners manual isn't authoritative. Anyway, My first 50hr oil change for the mx5800 resulted in the same observation. I purged the oil, changed the filter and added the manufacturers 9.4 lit of oil for an oil and filter change. Ran the engine and after a short time checked the level. Yup, way overfilled. Poured the old oil from the drain pan into the original 9.49 container of Kubota 10w30 oil and it filled it about 3/4. Over the next 45minutes of slowly purging new oil it comes to about 1.5 - 2 quarts LESS. YES LESS. Geez.
Hopes this helps newbies like myself.

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
My BX2670 book calls for 3.7 Qts, it takes 4.5 Qts to get it close to the high mark on the dipstick. The owners manuals also states that the capacity’s listed are only approximate.

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
My MX requires 8 quarts w/ filter, Never an issue. Shop concrete floor is LEVEL enough w/o the fanatics of placing hand levels across the sheet metal .

The additional volume to 10 quarts might be do to emissions equipment which I thankfully lack.

My OM is exact, no ambiguity. The basic engine in mine and yours is the same displacement. The oil pan must be deeper to provide the greater capacity??.

EDIT: would caution against using non- Kubota filters of any type, especially under factory warranty.

Messick's did a u tube video, cut open leading brand filters and results convinced this owner to STAY w/ OEM.!!

Last edited:

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
An oversized filter may allow you to use full quarts on your MX5800...

On my car, it takes 3.7 quarts of oil...
Oversized filter, 4 quarts, exactly. No measuring, no leftovers...

Try a Wix 51515 (a little over five inches long), and see if you can use full quarts of oil...

(I am assuming you have an HH164-32430 oil filter...)

Last edited: