L2501/3301/3901 hours and repairs?

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
My old L3901DT had 402 hours when I traded it in for me new 2017 L3901hst and I’ve got just about 462 hours on it now. I’ve done a bunch of food plots, road grading, pond and ditch digging and logging with it. both tractors have been absolutely solid with zero issue. A few things I would improve though is I would love to see replaceable bushings on all the loader joints and pins that grease from the end rather than the center. Also the rear adjustable side link is pretty much useless if you have the backhoe subframe.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
1. L3301 HST
2. Used for brush hogging pasture and road maintenance
3. 124 hours
4. Repairs: PTO cable would not disengage PTO. Repaired twice, still an occasional problem, but manageable.
Error warning on digital display, reset when in for routine maintenance. Not an issue.
Recall for PVC issue.
Stalls after an hour or 2 of use. Won't work for 15-20 minutes, then I can restart it and use it for a while until it stalls again. In twice for repair. Dealer said it was bad diesel fuel. I've been more attentive about where I buy fuel and how long I store it. Still a problem. Using it today for an hour before it stalled out again.
5. Comments: I really wanted to like this tractor. It's a great tool when it's working, and I enjoy using it. But it has been very unreliable because of the issues above. I don't use it often (2 or 3 times a month)- it has only 124 hours after 2 years.
I'm frustrated- my experience has not been as good as others on this thread. I don't think I would purchase a Kubota again, although I don't know what I would get.
Does this maintenance warning have to be reset by the dealer?

If so, mine will probably never get reset. No way am I taking my tractor to a dealer to get the oil and a few filters changed.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
2008 L3540 HST. 1,650 hours. Grapple, brush hog, 8' snow plow, 6' tiller, forks, sprayer, big lawn roller.

I have moved a lot dirt with the bucket. A lot of tilling. A couple of years a lot of snow plowing.

I haved moved a ton of wood with the grapple.

I broke a front wheel bearing hauling clay about 300 yards. It was all the tractor can pick up. It was about $75.00 to fix it.

The front axles were leaking oil where the steering pivot is.

I had a fuel fitting fall off the fuel filter housing. They are just pressed in.

One new battery last year.

I change the HST oil about every 300 hours and the engine oil about 150 hours.

quicktractor

Equipment
Kubota L2501
Jul 27, 2017
Flagstaff
L2501
103 Hours
Used for snow removal, ATV Trail Maintenance, Loading demolition materials with bucket forks.
No repairs needed....Yet.

Need to bring back to dealer to have engine issues addressed. When it is worked a little, it starts to miss and sputter losing power greatly. Even going up hill in high range will cause condition to the point of almost having completely stalled the tractor. It is NOT fuel additives causing the issue, or cold weather as it has done it in Summer with only 22 hours on it. I am suspecting a "Drawing Air" issue in the fuel system but I cant find from where. Even bleeding the system will not cure the issue. Just did the 100 hour service last week. Like the tractor for the most part, but find it lacking in the power department, but this could be caused by the fuel issue not allowing the engine to operate at full potential. A little frustrating, to the point of looking at a 4760 or a 5460 at this point, and getting rid of this one.
I had a similar (same?) issue with my L2501. It would run good for about 20 - 40 minutes and then would drop in power. It was especially noticed if I ran the tractor and then dropped the RPMs down near idle to get off the tractor. After about 5 minutes when getting back on the tractor never would run at higher RPMs and would run very weak. I thought it might be a lifter pump issue. The dealer spent some time with it and replaced a governor that they said was the problem. I have not been able to run it since it was returned (too cold, but no snow).
Other info: ~210 hours. Dirt work (FEL and blade box), some brush hog.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
1. L3901 HST
2. Mowing with rotary cutter, misc loader chores
3. Just shy of 70 hours
4. Only repair I had to do so far, and I did the repair myself, was that the joystick that controls the loader stopped working. I had to take the cover off of the loader joystick and tighten a bolt, then it worked fine.
5. Purchased new in May 2015, very happy with the tractor so far! I hope it lasts a very long time.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]
+200 hours and no updates. Running great! Love it!

I do change the oil every year (I put about 70 hrs a year on it). I also changed the front axle gear oil at 200 hours with approx 5 quarts of fresh 80w-90 and it was about a quart low. I am going to change the HST fluid at 300 hrs (100 hrs ahead of maint schedule).

Only had a handful of regens, maybe 4? Seems like I should be about due for another one soon...

One more thing: I changed the coolant and I thought the radiator drain plug was torqued pretty tight from the factory. I buggered it up a little removing it. I should probably get a replacement drain plug next time I am at the dealer. I re-installed it just barely snug and it doesn't leak at all.

Last edited:

OrangeColoredTractor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2017 L2501 4WD HST
May 10, 2017
Washington
L2501
6 hours
bought new April 2017
Hydraulic leak at rubber hose, LH ram for FEL lift. Fitting not tight, heard airated sound driving, then noticed oil spots on tires etc. Tightened down, fill system back up. All good. Lost about 3 qts/

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
L2501

6 hours

bought new April 2017

Hydraulic leak at rubber hose, LH ram for FEL lift. Fitting not tight, heard airated sound driving, then noticed oil spots on tires etc. Tightened down, fill system back up. All good. Lost about 3 qts/

6 hours in nearly 2 years? Go use that thing! ;)

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I would say the L2501 is not really comparable to the L3301 and L3901 machines. The 2501 from an engine perspective replicates a B-series.

The 3301 and 3901 are much more complicated under the hood. The 2501 uses indirect, mechanical fuel injection and has zero emissions controls, and uses gravity fuel feed to the main mechanical injection pump. It should last forever and have virtually no problems.

My 2013 B2920 has the same setup, although it produces more power. It has 550 hours with absolutely zero problems. HST trans.

The 3301 and 3901 use fully electronically controlled common-rail, direct fuel injection with an ECU. It uses an electric low pressure pump to supply the high pressure pump. It uses a variety of sensors on the engine to provide feedback to the ECU for most efficient engine operation. Even the throttle is electronic. And then of course, it uses a DPF with heat and delta pressure differential sensors.

The L4701 is similar, but uses a larger, 4-cylinder engine.

My 2018 MX4800 is very similar to the L4701. So far, about 75 hours with zero issues.

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I would say the L2501 is not really comparable to the L3301 and L3901 machines. The 2501 from an engine perspective replicates a B-series.

The 3301 and 3901 are much more complicated under the hood. The 2501 uses indirect, mechanical fuel injection and has zero emissions controls, and uses gravity fuel feed to the main mechanical injection pump. It should last forever and have virtually no problems.

My 2013 B2920 has the same setup, although it produces more power. It has 550 hours with absolutely zero problems. HST trans.

The 3301 and 3901 use fully electronically controlled common-rail, direct fuel injection with an ECU. It uses an electric low pressure pump to supply the high pressure pump. It uses a variety of sensors on the engine to provide feedback to the ECU for most efficient engine operation. Even the throttle is electronic. And then of course, it uses a DPF with heat and delta pressure differential sensors. (End of Quote)

I believe the above statement is spot on and my reason for buying the L2501. The year prior to my purchase of the 2501, before DPF I very likely would have purchased the larger engine L series although (I don't really need more power).

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
There is also old school as an option - First generation B and L series tractors are simple, reliable, and reasonably inexpensive, and often can be found with less hours than more recent models because they have been mildly used by one or two owners for most of their life.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
There is also old school as an option - First generation B and L series tractors are simple, reliable, and reasonably inexpensive, and often can be found with less hours than more recent models because they have been mildly used by one or two owners for most of their life.
That is certainly an option - but keep in mind the only B-series with modern emissions controls and computer operation is the B3350. The L's are all computer / emissions, except the L2501. So in the case of a B-series, there's no reliability advantage to an old one vs a new one.

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I tried finding used, but they were nearly the same price as new, beat to hell, and/ or not what I wanted.

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
I tried finding used, but they were nearly the same price as new, beat to hell, and/ or not what I wanted.
All the more reason to buy a new one, they hold their value, have a warranty, and Zero % financing.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
2014 L3901: Bought it with 100 Hours Dead. Seller knew the warranty was up so he sold it to me as is where is. Brought it home thinking how hard could it be? Tractor looked new. after a couple of days of no luck tinkering, I carried it to my dealer prepared to shell out big bucks. Computer was bad, Kubota repaired under warranty (Computer is part of emissions which is 5 years on the warranty) Hasn't checked up yet. 300+ hours, Bush Hogging a 5' mower, Box blading and road maintenance. I am already jonesing for more HP - - would like 50 HP to swing a bigger bush hog. Anybody want a smaller tractor?

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
Anybody replace their battery yet? Mine is getting sluggish to crank when it’s cold. Battery is 4 years old, prolly on its last legs.

Dchemphill1

Equipment
L3901
Jun 9, 2016
Fort Calhoun, NE, USA
L3901 HST - bought in Oct 2015
110 Hours
Brush hog, driveway maintaining, snow removal, dirt and mulch work, reclaim pasture work and move small round bales.
No repairs - the PTO lever used to engage/disengage has to be tinkered with at times.
Never an issue with regens
Love the tractor

Lennyzx11

Equipment
L3301
Dec 18, 2015
Bennington Vermont
Hi guys, I’m the OP.

I am at 280 hours and no problems to date. I noticed a coolant leak from one radiator hose but that was after starting the engine in -9F! So after tightening the hell out of the clamp, I haven’t seen more.
All still doing good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m now up to 314 hours. All is well.
Had a moment the other day though. Stepping on the HST pedal for reverse and the engine would die. Every time.

The little pin for the seat flip forward hinge had worked itself loose and slid toward the side away from the seat safety switch.
So the seat didn’t set square on the safety switch with leg raised up to push reverse.

Pushed pin back in place and all is well. 1 minute fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tpack

Equipment
Kubota L3901/4x4/525 FEL /1260 Cutter
Aug 22, 2015
Stephenville
2008 L3540 HST. 1,650 hours. Grapple, brush hog, 8' snow plow, 6' tiller, forks, sprayer, big lawn roller.

I have moved a lot dirt with the bucket. A lot of tilling. A couple of years a lot of snow plowing.

I haved moved a ton of wood with the grapple.

I broke a front wheel bearing hauling clay about 300 yards. It was all the tractor can pick up. It was about $75.00 to fix it.

The front axles were leaking oil where the steering pivot is.

I had a fuel fitting fall off the fuel filter housing. They are just pressed in.

One new battery last year.

I change the HST oil about every 300 hours and the engine oil about 150 hours.
Mine is leaking in the same place. I notice it today after moving about 10 yards of top soil. I spotted oil on the cement and crawled underneath. It was not coming from the motor and the engine oil was fine. It was coming from the same place as listed above. I only have 52 hours and will be taking it in next week for the 50 hour service I bought it in 2015 so it is out of warranty.