B3030 Front End Locking Up

Chaldaean

Equipment
B3030HSDC
Apr 24, 2016
Seacoast, NH
B3030 Front End Locking Up (Video)

The front end started locking up this afternoon and intermittently comes to a halt.

Here is a video to show behavior (tractor is in 2 wheel drive): https://youtu.be/w9E4Pr_3gzQ

It wanted to limp it back to the garage, but couldn't only manage to get it moved a few feet.

I was home during lunch break to pickup some leaves and had to get back to work, so I couldn't spend time troubleshooting (lift the front end, spin by hand etc.). I hope to do that tonight.

Does anyone have insight regarding troubleshooting, potential causes and solutions? I'm handy and would like to fix it myself to save money, but will take it to the dealer if the group thinks this will be a can of worms.

Thanks for the support!

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I suspect unless you are real handy with mechanics, I'd be calling a dealer and having it picked up. Something puked on the inside.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Re: B3030 Front End Locking Up (Video)

There have been several guys here that have fixed front ends, including lil foot with his machine.
If my memory serves, they generally aren’t all torn apart inside, it’s a problem in a particular area with two gears, binding the rest of the works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Re: B3030 Front End Locking Up (Video)

There have been several guys here that have fixed front ends, including lil foot with his machine.
If my memory serves, they generally aren’t all torn apart inside, it’s a problem in a particular area with two gears, binding the rest of the works.
That was true in my case. Only two bearings & two gears, but mine was also 30+ years old & needed cleaning & re-sealing. That shouldn't be the case with yours.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That was true in my case. Only two bearings & two gears, but mine was also 30+ years old & needed cleaning & re-sealing. That shouldn't be the case with yours.

True, you fixed some old errors and did a major overhaul while you had it apart....the pictures with all the parts was impressive![emoji41]

Last edited:

Chaldaean

Equipment
B3030HSDC
Apr 24, 2016
Seacoast, NH
To circle back around, I removed the front axle from the tractor and disassembled it. The issue was a worn set of ring/pinion gears. The debris from the busted/worn teeth migrated elsewhere and also caused collateral damage to multiple bearings. It was over $500 in parts.

Some quick notes:

- Overall, it is a job that can be done in a home garage. The most uncommon tool is an inch-oz range torque wrench to measure the 0.59-0.73 lbf-ft turning torque on the spiral bevel pinion shaft.
- The most difficult part was ensuring proper gear backlash. This requires the purchase of multiple thickness collars/spacers and, in my case, multiple attempts of assembly/disassembly to get it right. I tried to use a dial indicator with an extension probe mounted to a magnetic holder, but couldn't get a repeatable reading. I used the procedure Kubota recommends in the manual, which is to employ a "fuse" (I just used lead electrical solder), which smooshes between the gears as they are manually turned. The thickness of the deformed fuse correlates to the backlash. I found it useful to hold/fixture the axle tube vertically to make it easier to lay the solder on the ring gear; otherwise, it was hard to keep the solder in the right place.

Attachments

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
To circle back around, I removed the front axle from the tractor and disassembled it. The issue was a worn set of ring/pinion gears. The debris from the busted/worn teeth migrated elsewhere and also caused collateral damage to multiple bearings. It was over $500 in parts.

Some quick notes:

- Overall, it is a job that can be done in a home garage. The most uncommon tool is an inch-oz range torque wrench to measure the 0.59-0.73 lbf-ft turning torque on the spiral bevel pinion shaft.
- The most difficult part was ensuring proper gear backlash. This requires the purchase of multiple thickness collars/spacers and, in my case, multiple attempts of assembly/disassembly to get it right. I tried to use a dial indicator with an extension probe mounted to a magnetic holder, but couldn't get a repeatable reading. I used the procedure Kubota recommends in the manual, which is to employ a "fuse" (I just used lead electrical solder), which smooshes between the gears as they are manually turned. The thickness of the deformed fuse correlates to the backlash. I found it useful to hold/fixture the axle tube vertically to make it easier to lay the solder on the ring gear; otherwise, it was hard to keep the solder in the right place.

What do you think caused the failure? How many hours?

Michigankubota

Equipment
B2650 Loader,LX 2980-64 Blower ,60”MMM , Land Pride 60”Box Blade.
Oct 17, 2018
Bessemer, Western U.P.
Driving in 4wd with sharp turns and an overloaded front end can do it

Another reason to leave 4wd off all the time unless you really need it
I run mine in 4wd all winter for snow blowing. But there’s no weight on the front and I’m driving on snow-mat/ ice.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I'm just the opposite. Neither of mine are ever in FWA unless I have a traction (wheel slip) issue.. Tire wear amongst other things I take into account all the time. My front tires alone are almost a grand for 2. In retrospect, I could have bought a 2 wheel drive tractor(s) and been happy with them except for the front loader work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The number 1 failure for front end drive components is running the tractor on hard surfaces in 4wd, there is no slip and it puts a huge stress on gears.

motorhead

Equipment
2009 B3200, 2007 Dodge/Cummins powered Ram 2500 395hp
May 17, 2012
Atascadero
I have seen broken front pinions from pushing too hard into heavy loads with the front bucket in 4wd. All the torque gets put onto the front axle as the rear wheels try to slip from no weight on them.
With my B3200, I load with care if I need to be in 4wd and the aggregate I am trying to scoop is especially heavy.

Chaldaean

Equipment
B3030HSDC
Apr 24, 2016
Seacoast, NH
I got the tractor with 800 hours from a working farm in KY. It now has 885 on it. So, I don't have much history with it, but the idea that pushing the loader hard in 4WD makes sense. When I received the tractor, both main piston rods on the loader were bent (loader would move, but would get stuck and hesitate). I had to disassemble and straighten them.