BT603 Mount Lever pulled right off! (BX23s)

LukyNumbrKevin

Equipment
2018 BX23s (TLB w/ a mower deck)
May 17, 2018
CT, USA
So this is now the second time this issue has presented itself, the first time I simply reattached and reset the C-Clip. This time it was the end off the day and getting dark and cold so I just put the lever assembly and C-Clip on the garage work bench until I have some time to fix it again.

I wanted to hop on here and see if anyone else has had the issue of the mount lever pulling right off the BH mount frame when detaching or attaching the BH to the BX23s. I have the feeling that a C-Clip is not enough to prevent pulling the lever off. I am just wondering if there is a fix for this or just a fault in the design that I need to keep an eye on for the life of the tractor (which would be pretty disappointing).

If you are curious what I am talking about see this parts diagram: https://www.messicks.com/ku/96462 > Frame > B04400 Mount Lever > Parts 130, 160, 190, 170 pulled right off when engaging or disengaging the mount clamp.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So this is now the second time this issue has presented itself, the first time I simply reattached and reset the C-Clip. This time it was the end off the day and getting dark and cold so I just put the lever assembly and C-Clip on the garage work bench until I have some time to fix it again.

I wanted to hop on here and see if anyone else has had the issue of the mount lever pulling right off the BH mount frame when detaching or attaching the BH to the BX23s. I have the feeling that a C-Clip is not enough to prevent pulling the lever off. I am just wondering if there is a fix for this or just a fault in the design that I need to keep an eye on for the life of the tractor (which would be pretty disappointing).

If you are curious what I am talking about see this parts diagram: https://www.messicks.com/ku/96462 > Frame > B04400 Mount Lever > Parts 130, 160, 190, 170 pulled right off when engaging or disengaging the mount clamp.

Looking at the exploded view......

IS 210 the problem?

Attachments

LukyNumbrKevin

Equipment
May 17, 2018
CT, USA
I just had the same thought! Thanks for the tip!

I am possibly missing the Cotter Pin/Spring Pin (210) on the other side. I will check that when I run home for lunch in a few minutes. Maybe that's why the whole thing is pulling off.

Good Tip!

LukyNumbrKevin

Equipment
May 17, 2018
CT, USA
Looking at the exploded view......

IS 210 the problem?
So, I just took a look while on my lunch break and unfortunately that cotter pin (210) only serves to compress the spring (200) while pulling back on the lever (170). The only thing keeping this whole lever assembly on the tractor is the c-clip (160).

I attached some photos so you can see what I am dealing with in color. The lever assembly you see slides onto the unpainted post with the ring in the middle where the C-Clip sits. Thoughts? Are there stronger/larger C-Clips i can replace this one with? This seems like a design flaw to me.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Most "C" clips have to fit on the shaft one way or they won't stay in place. The edge of the clip has to fit in the groove so it catches. You have have installed the clip backwards. I'll try to find a picture.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I had this happen this past spring. The snap ring slipped past it's groove. Cleaned the groove and replaced it with a new snap ring. Haven't had a problem since.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You might need to place that "shaft" on the bench and "cut" the groove a wee little bit more to allow the C ring to stay - maybe a couple of strokes with the hack saw could do it.

LukyNumbrKevin

Equipment
May 17, 2018
CT, USA
You might need to place that "shaft" on the bench and "cut" the groove a wee little bit more to allow the C ring to stay - maybe a couple of strokes with the hack saw could do it.
Hmmm, looking at the diagrams it appears that this shaft is not removable, I will have to check it out when I get home.

If I can get it off I think a couple passes with the hack saw could do the trick.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
The shaft is welded in place. I had to clean mine well enough to get the mating part to seat so the snap ring good fit in the groove. Not much if any clearance and the paint makes it somewhat difficult to get it seated.

LukyNumbrKevin

Equipment
May 17, 2018
CT, USA
The shaft is welded in place. I had to clean mine well enough to get the mating part to seat so the snap ring good fit in the groove. Not much if any clearance and the paint makes it somewhat difficult to get it seated.
jmf,

When you mention paint are you talking about the base of the shaft where it looks like there is a bit of over-spray where they didn't fully tape the base of the shaft? Should I try and sand that down a bit to get it to mate?

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
jmf,

When you mention paint are you talking about the base of the shaft where it looks like there is a bit of over-spray where they didn't fully tape the base of the shaft? Should I try and sand that down a bit to get it to mate?
Yes, that is what i am speaking of. I'd start there and see if you can get The Lever Mount flush so that you can get the snap ring to seat more securely. Thats what did and i haven't had a problem since. I just don't think it was fully engaged from the dealership. The opposing side has been fine all along.