RTV 400 gas smell

ymurf

Equipment
Kubota RTV 400ci
Nov 4, 2018
Steelville,Mo
I have a 2012 RTV 400 with 301 hours on it. I went hunting yesterday and noticed a strong raw gas smell.I have soft cab and it got so bad you couldnt hardly stand it in the cab..Got home and unloaded it and pulled it in my garage to see where it was leaking. I have been from top to bottom with a flashlight and dont see one single drop of gas anyplace. What could this be?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
How was it running? Did it seem like it was running rich? Exhaust smoke? Do you use ethanol-free gas?

The engine is under the bed, right? Where's the gas tank? Sorry, not familiar with them....just thinking carb...

My first thought was pull air filter, and see if it's gas-soaked if you're not seeing a leak.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You'll want to look at all of the fuel tank and carburetor vents. Is the tank completely full? Also look at the tank itself and make sure it's not got a small leak somewhere. Could also be an exhaust leak, though less likely. Is the oil level higher than the "full" mark?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I have a 2012 RTV 400 with 301 hours on it. I went hunting yesterday and noticed a strong raw gas smell.I have soft cab and it got so bad you couldnt hardly stand it in the cab..Got home and unloaded it and pulled it in my garage to see where it was leaking. I have been from top to bottom with a flashlight and dont see one single drop of gas anyplace. What could this be?

Call a dealer and see if yours has had all PSBs completed, one had to do with fumes on cab units.

Also, when you first turn the key to RUN, does the small fan next to the fuse box run for a couple seconds??? If it does not, you need to figure out why not.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
wet spots aren't always THE indicator of leaks. A lot of times a leak can be small enough to evaporate before the liquid hits the floor/ground/etc. I learned this the hard way on the race car with methanol. There was a shiny spot just below the barrel valve with the engine running. The "shiny" disappeared about 3/4" below it. It was evaporating before it had a chance to run down anything else.