BX24 Fuel Issue

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Unfortunately I could not find a pre-made screen for the BX23 filler neck and had to fabricate one myself. It is made from a stainless steel screen taken from a tea strainer found on Evil Bay and some modified white plastic plumbing adapters.
Me and another forum member had the same thought at the same time - never knowing what the other was doing! .....drew plans and sent to the same company and I had one of those made......
IT cost me about $75 .....but I have never had a dirty filter....I know that is crazy, but I filter going in with a Teflon filter and I have a 50 micro just in case!

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Funnel-AF..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=QGTZ5ZDTSKCNSWX690TF

Attachments

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
That looks just like the replacement one I bought they must have improved them somewhere along the line my original one was just bare stamped steel and completely rusted. You will need to look elsewhere for the problem it was probably just dirt in one of your cans you might want to try a screen like a couple other members mentioned above.

I pulled the sending unit out today and not one spec of rust. So I still don't know what the contamination was in the tank.
Hey Ed is this the same style fuel level sending unit you had? The metal on this one looks plated, (galvanized?).
View attachment 38153

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Nice to see manufacturing improvements along the way.
Thanks Ed.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I pulled the sending unit out today and not one spec of rust. So I still don't know what the contamination was in the tank.
Hey Ed is this the same style fuel level sending unit you had? The metal on this one looks plated, (galvanized?).
View attachment 38153
Looks like stainless to me. ;)

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
And now the rest of the story....

Well I finally got it all back together today. I put two new filters on and 6.5 gallons of fresh fuel in. I added 4oz of Power Service Clear Diesel, (tank cleaner), and 1/2 oz of Power Service Bio Kleen, (biocide). I put a new lift pump in a week ago, (which I most likely didn't need), so all new from tank to injector pump. I started up and ran it for an hour and a half. One hour at 3,200 rpm's using the backhoe. No issues, ran great!

Job done.
:)

rnbrn21 your turn. ;) :D

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
I had the same problem with my BX2670 early this spring. I blew back thru the outlet fitting on the tank. IF you do this make SURE the cap is off the tank, or you can blow up the tank. I put a towel over the tank where the cap goes but still had a mess. I have been using Bio Kleen ever since. When I changed out the filters getting ready for winter, the lower filter had some black crap in it, not much but it was there. I still haven't figured out why there is 2 filters on this machine. They are both the same micron filters.

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I had the same problem with my BX2670 early this spring. I blew back thru the outlet fitting on the tank. IF you do this make SURE the cap is off the tank, or you can blow up the tank. I put a towel over the tank where the cap goes but still had a mess. I have been using Bio Kleen ever since. When I changed out the filters getting ready for winter, the lower filter had some black crap in it, not much but it was there. I still haven't figured out why there is 2 filters on this machine. They are both the same micron filters.
My guess is the second filter by the engine is a JIC the fuel pump starts breaking apart.

smittydog27

Equipment
L3901DT, MX5200DT, Case 450, 1450 dozers, Case 530 const. king backhoe/loader
Dec 11, 2018
Huntington
Hello...I have a BX 2670 with the same problems, and went thru everything that was done in this post. The problem is with the fuel, it's called asphaltenes. Black tar substance that forms in diesel. (specifically in the new low sulphur formulation). This is NOT algae. It is
So, your fuel filters won't be affected by it because it builds up in the fuel line and clogs BEFORE the filters. Now, I just pull off the fuel line and you will NOT have any fuel flow (before the filters), loosen the fuel cap and use my air compressor to blow the lines clean (toward the tank). This will take alot of pressure (80+ PSI) and a few attempts. Then the fuel will run back thru the line (careful to clamp off hose at this point, or it will spray everywhere). Drain the tank at this point and fill with FRESH fuel.

Now, this being said, I get my fuel from a 300 gallon tank. My dad used this for years with our heavy equipment, but we do not turn over enough fuel to keep it 'fresh'. But we use all the stabilizers, cleaners, etc. I DO not have this issue with my CASE heavy equipment (Dozer and backhoe)-larger fuel lines and filters (changed yearly). Only issue is with Kubota. I will be going to filling (2) 5 gallon cans at the gas station for the Kubota at this point.

All I know is it drove me nuts for a year until I figured it out. Last month or so I put in an additive from Penray to the big 300 gallon tank.

Steve