hydraulic chute for snowblower

paintman161

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Jun 4, 2018
Rochester, NY
I have a 3 point snow blower with a manual chute rotater, I would like to make it rotate with my rear remote. Is there any type of valve I would use on the snow blower? I would weld up a bracket to hold it in place or something just not sure what valve setup I need on the blower.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What are you going to use to rotate it?
Cylinder or motor?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How are your fabricating abilities?

And you do know you could also run it off of electric for much cheaper. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How many hydraulic remotes do you have off the back?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah...the chute stops may not hold it.

Conversely, I have a Kubota electric rotator I got with my front-mount. Never got most of the parts out of the box, because it looks pretty crappy..

Thought I would take it back to the dealer and "swap" it for Kubota Hydraulic...my electric kit was ~$375 or so...hydraulic was $800..... 5 years ago!!:eek::eek:

I bought my electric kit back home and put it on the shelf...:rolleyes:

Try searching "hydraulic chute rotator" or something similar. Several guys have done different versions, and they're pretty slick!!

Good luck!! Look forward to your project!

Last edited:

Al2

Equipment
Kubota L4150 & L2900
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Confirm that you have a valve that will control the remotes. We don't know what you have and if it was a used tractor, the remotes could have been used for a wood splitter with it's own valve or something like that. Just asking. I think you would be better of to buy another blower with the proper hydraulics if possible . Search around now in the off season and sell yours when the snow flies.
Al

paintman161

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Jun 4, 2018
Rochester, NY
Confirm that you have a valve that will control the remotes. We don't know what you have and if it was a used tractor, the remotes could have been used for a wood splitter with it's own valve or something like that. Just asking. I think you would be better of to buy another blower with the proper hydraulics if possible . Search around now in the off season and sell yours when the snow flies.
Al
its a brand new l3901 with spring return. The blower is basically 2 years old and I bought it brand new, so I don't think I would sell it since I have not gotten my money out of it yet.

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
I used a AC Delco power window motor for chute rotation, and a 10" Linear actuator for chute deflection. No welding required at all, no problems after the first Winter of use. 3 Way switches for each. Total cost from start to finish.....$164.00. That includes 2 three way switches, PVC Waterproof junction box, wiring, wire loom, Linear Actuator, Power Window Motor, and about $16 worth of steel, spray paint, and nylon bushings to replace the set knobs on the deflector. Only thing I can say....Operates flawlessly. Perfect speed on both rotation and deflection. It could be an option for you if you like to tinker. Took me 2 days to get it done, but actually had only about 5 hours worth of hands on. When doing things like this, there is some trial and error, and taking a break to think things through. But it works awesome on my 3164 Kubota 3pt blower, hooked to my 3901. There was some concern if the Linear Actuator for the deflector would hold position with a heavy load of snow going through it, but there was no worry at all in the end. Doesn't budge at all.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post some more picture of the snowblower, it will help to get some better idea going your way. ;)

paintman161

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Jun 4, 2018
Rochester, NY
here's a few more pictures. Thinking the electric motor may be the cheaper option but more involved option. What motor, switches should i look at and where should i get the power from? This is a 2018 L3901.

Attachments

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Good Older model window motors are poplar, just have to make the mount and adapt to the shaft you have now.

Another choice is an ATV winch, that's really easy to hook up and eliminates any complicated wiring as the winch included the control and switch.

Al2

Equipment
Kubota L4150 & L2900
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
I don't have remotes on my tractor yet so I have used a electric winch as suggested. Not nearly as good as hydraulic but gets the job done. You would be better off with hydraulic as you already have the remotes. Is there a hydraulic kit you can buy from the snowblower manufacture to upgrade your blower? This might be the best overall option.
Al

paintman161

Equipment
Kubota L3901
Jun 4, 2018
Rochester, NY
I don't have remotes on my tractor yet so I have used a electric winch as suggested. Not nearly as good as hydraulic but gets the job done. You would be better off with hydraulic as you already have the remotes. Is there a hydraulic kit you can buy from the snowblower manufacture to upgrade your blower? This might be the best overall option.
Al
I have the dealer i got the snow blower looking into it. Still have not heard anything back, I think there trying to track one down.

DanR

Apr 26, 2018
Moncton, NB, Canada
I used a AC Delco power window motor for chute rotation, and a 10" Linear actuator for chute deflection. No welding required at all, no problems after the first Winter of use. 3 Way switches for each. Total cost from start to finish.....$164.00. That includes 2 three way switches, PVC Waterproof junction box, wiring, wire loom, Linear Actuator, Power Window Motor, and about $16 worth of steel, spray paint, and nylon bushings to replace the set knobs on the deflector. Only thing I can say....Operates flawlessly. Perfect speed on both rotation and deflection. It could be an option for you if you like to tinker. Took me 2 days to get it done, but actually had only about 5 hours worth of hands on. When doing things like this, there is some trial and error, and taking a break to think things through. But it works awesome on my 3164 Kubota 3pt blower, hooked to my 3901. There was some concern if the Linear Actuator for the deflector would hold position with a heavy load of snow going through it, but there was no worry at all in the end. Doesn't budge at all.
I'd be curious to see pics of what you built here beaterboss. I have rear blower all manual with no rear remotes on my bx2380. I'll be looking at an electric solution as well. The JD dealer (when I was looking at a 1023) quoted $1,600 to work up electric actuators on their Frontier blower!!!