Poly Cutting Edge for BX?

DanR

Apr 26, 2018
Moncton, NB, Canada
I did a search but didn't see this discussed too much.

I have a rear-mount blower but will use the bucket to clear up dustings or really slushy crap this winter. I have a paved driveway and was wondering if anybody on here has put on poly or rubber cutting edges on the the FEL bucket.... and if so, where did you get it?

KJoeZ61

Equipment
BX1870
Jun 20, 2018
Northampton, Pa
I actually emailed ratchetrake about two weeks ago since they are out of stock on the website. I was told they will be available in august. I'm getting one for my BX1870

dalola

Equipment
BX2380 w/FEL & Woods RM48 RFM, Yazoo/Kees Max2 ZTR
Jun 30, 2017
Ohio
Does it drill easy and you can countersink your bolt heads easily?
Very easy to work with, just a bit softer than nylon. I used 1/2" carriage bolts, to minimize the countersink depth, worked out great. I skipped every other hole in the middle of the FEL.

UU will drill it for you, if you give them the spec's. And of course, more $$!

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
I have a front mounted blower. Last winter I need the loader and forks in to December. Bought a piece of UHMW and replaced the cutting edge on my back blade. Worked well. From usplastic.com that piece (1/2"x6"x5') was $77 w/shipping.

Blade Edge.jpg .

Bucket with stock edge will leave scratches. Those scratches will fade away in the spring.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I used a piece of plastic deck lumber like Trex on my back blade to keep from gouging up a trough shaped region of concrete with the corners of my steel edge. Works great. Been on for 3 years now. Much cheaper than the specially made plastic edges, in my case free. It is good for scraping snow off the lawn too.

Reactions: 2 users

Grizzlyadams1992

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 23, 2018
Mount Airy, NC
This man here is a genius! I have some scrap composite decking from a project...Hello new cutting edge!! I never would have connected the dots myself lol
I used a piece of plastic deck lumber like Trex on my back blade to keep from gouging up a trough shaped region of concrete with the corners of my steel edge. Works great. Been on for 3 years now. Much cheaper than the specially made plastic edges, in my case free. It is good for scraping snow off the lawn too.
Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Credit is due to another forum member who doesn't log in much any more. Unfortunate, he had many useful tips.

Bucky Badger

Equipment
BX2660
Mar 17, 2017
Madison
Thanks for that

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
This man here is a genius! I have some scrap composite decking from a project...Hello new cutting edge!! I never would have connected the dots myself lol

Grizzly....wrong gender! Her knowledge of machinery, especially Kubota with DPF, is kind of like a "professor of tractors"!:D

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Grizzlyadams1992

Equipment
BX2380
Apr 23, 2018
Mount Airy, NC
Ohh wow! Thats even better!! Pretty cool to know there is a lady among us to keep us straight! I am happily corrected. She is a genius!
Grizzly....wrong gender! Her knowledge of machinery, especially Kubota with DPF, is kind of like a "professor of tractors"!:D

DanR

Apr 26, 2018
Moncton, NB, Canada
Wow.... sometimes the simplest of solutions! $43Cdn at Home Depot for a 12' length 5-1/2" wide... I can get 3 edges outta that. Certainly worth a shot.

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Digging this thread out of the basement, does anyone have photos or a reference of how to use the Trex decking as an edge? Did you simply cut it to length and bolt it on, or did you grind the edge down to make more of a blade? Also, the bottom side of Trex has groves, did you run the grooved side towards the bottom (outward) of the bucket, or towards the top (inside) of the bucket?

Thanks,
Greg

GreX

Equipment
BX2380
Jan 8, 2023
Maine
Well, for science I went out and picked up an 8' stick of Trex ($16), I will cut and mount it this evening and report back with the findings. After thinking about it more, I'm going to put the top of the Trex toward the outside of the bucket, given that side is likely designed for higher amounts of abuse (folks would be walking on it) and the channels should be a good spot for the bolts to seat down into. I'm hoping this works well, but worst case, it shreds after a few passes of the driveway, and I revert to one of the more purpose built plastic edges.

Reactions: 1 user

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
(I didn't read any replies in this thread)

I installed (for a small period of time) a PVC cutting edge on my front mounted 48" snowblower.

As I recall, I took a 48" x 1.5" pc of grey electrical pvc and ripped it right up one side and put it right over the metal cutting edge of my blower. It didn't have the desired effect on my loose gravel driveway in the late fall (and man, was it hard to get on there which involved a hammer and curse words !)

but:

for paved driveways/parking lots/concrete pads in front of garages) it ought to be a little more gentler on those surfaces than the metal.