Potential New Owner...

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
I purchased a BX2380 a few months ago, pin on bucket FEL, 54 inch MMM. Primary use is mowing, secondary spreading some top soil, bark dust, landscaping.

This replaced my larger B2920 I used to clear my land so I can speak to the comparison of both sized tractors.

BX2380 Dings

1. FEL bucket front edge was bowed and that's with the thick cutting edge bolted on. Walked the yard with my Kubota dealer a bunch of the new buckets were welded up with bow. We found one that was flat and swapped out.

2. The mechanics under the seat are loose, the seat shifts forward/reverse maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The reason that's such an issue is the HST is more jerky vs my B2920 so the tractor is jerking the seat is jerking your back will NOT be happy with this. I'm about to take measures if need be I'll drill and tap for a bolt to lock the seat in place.

3. The throttle level was loose, a commonly reported problem. You push the throttle up and the spring pulls it back down to lower RPM's. Pulled the screen cover adjusted and tightened the 2 jam nuts a month or so back this worked fine but I see its getting loose again mowing yesterday. Others replaced the jam nuts with nylon lock nuts and I'll go this route next.

4. MAJOR the treadle pedal does NOT return to neutral, let off the pedal and the tractor continues to drive forward. I have to tap it reverse to get the tractor to stop. When pulling into the garage to hook up the FEL or other close quarters driving this issue is annoying. This is a commonly reported issue on the BX. Now you don't want the pedal slamming on the brakes and pitching you off the tractor so there's a happy middle ground. But this BX obviously needs to be adjusted. I read up on guys who have done this, it sounds like a real PITA. My B2920 was much better, low gear was adjusted to work well, mid and high gear they designed it to coast a bit so you don't get pitched out of your seat.

5. Lower throttle on the BX2380 pretty much useless. FEL and PTO move so slow its not useable. Lower throttle on the B2920 was much better. On the BX2380 my minimum usable RPM is around 2,000. Which is fine honestly other than I'm burning more fuel.

6. Highly Annoying - engine noise travels through the tractor and up into the hollow ROPS tubing so its like having engine noise speakers right next to your ears. Its high pitched whine/squeal and LOUD. Also a commonly reported issue, guys are filling their ROPS tubs with sand and expanding spray foam. I picked up a can but haven't got to that project yet. If you wear ear protection while operating then probably less of an issue.

7. My FEL arm lock knob is out of whack. Kind of strange I have a picture of the tractor when delivered new and that knob is in the open position. Now it won't move there. It will push forward/left to lock the FEL arm, but will only come back half way to the open position, it needs to come back another inch or so and jog left into the slot. I still need to investigate.

8. Tractor was delivered with several spots on the hood where it looks like some idiot used a scotch bright cleaning pad to knock something off. So its scratched up. Tried to wax it but no joy. Now that its cover in dirt doesn't really matter but was annoyed at this for $14k plus.

9. Its cool I have the seat with the arm rests...but I found them useless and in the way so I flipped them back like the first time I used the tractor and they have stayed there ever since lol.

Okay now that I bashed it up down and sideways I'll tell you what I like.

1. The new BX2380 FEL quick mount/dismount is awesome!! On my B2920 I HATED swapping implements, cannot be understated. I frequently mount or dismount the FEL so this is quite an improvement over the B2920.

2. I love the fender mounted FEL arm.

3. I love the PTO lever to engage the PTO, had to work a clutch pedal on the B2920. BUT on the other hand when tilling or ripping roots the B2920 clutch pedal saved me numerous times I was able to slam that pedal down when I got hung on a root and avoid sheering a pin on the implement. My Kubota dealer told me a bunch of the tractors have gone to this PTO engage lever now so unless you go much larger tractor its no longer an option anyway.

4. Its smaller and more maneuverable than the B2920 love that.

5. Its lighter and I have the turf tires vs R4 filled tires on the B2920, I can make tight turns on the BX2380 and no damage to the lawn.

6. The 54 inch deck is working well, though mow at WOT and I put some Gator G6 blades on the deck.

7. The standard deck raises higher off the ground, my dealer told me that most people just leave the deck on when using the FEL or other implements. I scoffed at that but so far the dealer has been correct. I lock the deck in the up position and it hasn't been an issue. Removing/Installing that standard deck isn't exactly a quick and easy process. The B2920 drive over deck was easier.

8. Improved layout of fender and dash controls on the BX2380 vs the B2920, dash is also improved, love that the parking break is now foot operated vs having to reach forward and down on the B2920 to work that hand lever.

9. The smaller BX2380 is much more garage friendly, the B2920 with the FEL and Backhoe was a behemoth.

10. Love that the BX2380 ROPS fits under my standard size garage door. Hated having to fold down/up the B2920 ROPS every use. Now the BX2380 just barely fits under the door, in fact in my 3rd garage bay it actually touches the door like 1/8 inch I just reach up and lift the door slightly on entry/exit. The other 2 car bay door clears completely.

griffin800

Equipment
Kubota bx23s, Simplicity Conquest
Apr 7, 2018
Rockford, IL
Definitely wear hearing protection, these things are loud and will destroy your hearing. I spent a whole career around loud machinery, now wish I'd have paid better attention to protecting my hearing. Do it now before you lose it.

Bill H.

DanR

Apr 26, 2018
Moncton, NB, Canada
I purchased a BX2380 a few months ago, pin on bucket FEL, 54 inch MMM. Primary use is mowing, secondary spreading some top soil, bark dust, landscaping.

This replaced my larger B2920 I used to clear my land so I can speak to the comparison of both sized tractors.

BX2380 Dings

1. FEL bucket front edge was bowed and that's with the thick cutting edge bolted on. Walked the yard with my Kubota dealer a bunch of the new buckets were welded up with bow. We found one that was flat and swapped out.

2. The mechanics under the seat are loose, the seat shifts forward/reverse maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch. The reason that's such an issue is the HST is more jerky vs my B2920 so the tractor is jerking the seat is jerking your back will NOT be happy with this. I'm about to take measures if need be I'll drill and tap for a bolt to lock the seat in place.

3. The throttle level was loose, a commonly reported problem. You push the throttle up and the spring pulls it back down to lower RPM's. Pulled the screen cover adjusted and tightened the 2 jam nuts a month or so back this worked fine but I see its getting loose again mowing yesterday. Others replaced the jam nuts with nylon lock nuts and I'll go this route next.

4. MAJOR the treadle pedal does NOT return to neutral, let off the pedal and the tractor continues to drive forward. I have to tap it reverse to get the tractor to stop. When pulling into the garage to hook up the FEL or other close quarters driving this issue is annoying. This is a commonly reported issue on the BX. Now you don't want the pedal slamming on the brakes and pitching you off the tractor so there's a happy middle ground. But this BX obviously needs to be adjusted. I read up on guys who have done this, it sounds like a real PITA. My B2920 was much better, low gear was adjusted to work well, mid and high gear they designed it to coast a bit so you don't get pitched out of your seat.

5. Lower throttle on the BX2380 pretty much useless. FEL and PTO move so slow its not useable. Lower throttle on the B2920 was much better. On the BX2380 my minimum usable RPM is around 2,000. Which is fine honestly other than I'm burning more fuel.

6. Highly Annoying - engine noise travels through the tractor and up into the hollow ROPS tubing so its like having engine noise speakers right next to your ears. Its high pitched whine/squeal and LOUD. Also a commonly reported issue, guys are filling their ROPS tubs with sand and expanding spray foam. I picked up a can but haven't got to that project yet. If you wear ear protection while operating then probably less of an issue.

7. My FEL arm lock knob is out of whack. Kind of strange I have a picture of the tractor when delivered new and that knob is in the open position. Now it won't move there. It will push forward/left to lock the FEL arm, but will only come back half way to the open position, it needs to come back another inch or so and jog left into the slot. I still need to investigate.

8. Tractor was delivered with several spots on the hood where it looks like some idiot used a scotch bright cleaning pad to knock something off. So its scratched up. Tried to wax it but no joy. Now that its cover in dirt doesn't really matter but was annoyed at this for $14k plus.

9. Its cool I have the seat with the arm rests...but I found them useless and in the way so I flipped them back like the first time I used the tractor and they have stayed there ever since lol.

Okay now that I bashed it up down and sideways I'll tell you what I like.

1. The new BX2380 FEL quick mount/dismount is awesome!! On my B2920 I HATED swapping implements, cannot be understated. I frequently mount or dismount the FEL so this is quite an improvement over the B2920.

2. I love the fender mounted FEL arm.

3. I love the PTO lever to engage the PTO, had to work a clutch pedal on the B2920. BUT on the other hand when tilling or ripping roots the B2920 clutch pedal saved me numerous times I was able to slam that pedal down when I got hung on a root and avoid sheering a pin on the implement. My Kubota dealer told me a bunch of the tractors have gone to this PTO engage lever now so unless you go much larger tractor its no longer an option anyway.

4. Its smaller and more maneuverable than the B2920 love that.

5. Its lighter and I have the turf tires vs R4 filled tires on the B2920, I can make tight turns on the BX2380 and no damage to the lawn.

6. The 54 inch deck is working well, though mow at WOT and I put some Gator G6 blades on the deck.

7. The standard deck raises higher off the ground, my dealer told me that most people just leave the deck on when using the FEL or other implements. I scoffed at that but so far the dealer has been correct. I lock the deck in the up position and it hasn't been an issue. Removing/Installing that standard deck isn't exactly a quick and easy process. The B2920 drive over deck was easier.

8. Improved layout of fender and dash controls on the BX2380 vs the B2920, dash is also improved, love that the parking break is now foot operated vs having to reach forward and down on the B2920 to work that hand lever.

9. The smaller BX2380 is much more garage friendly, the B2920 with the FEL and Backhoe was a behemoth.

10. Love that the BX2380 ROPS fits under my standard size garage door. Hated having to fold down/up the B2920 ROPS every use. Now the BX2380 just barely fits under the door, in fact in my 3rd garage bay it actually touches the door like 1/8 inch I just reach up and lift the door slightly on entry/exit. The other 2 car bay door clears completely.

Thanks for the honest and in-depth review. I’ll definitely keep an eye on the items you mentioned. My yard is still too wet to actually get out and use it. It would probably sink half way up the rims!

I don’t seem to have the first four issues unless they appear over time. And I went over it when he delivered knowing your issue with the finish.

The only item in the list that isn’t pretty easy to remedy would be the low idle. But my opinion is that’s pretty much for warm up and “I’m getting off the tractor to move that damn planter to mow”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
Thanks for the honest and in-depth review. I’ll definitely keep an eye on the items you mentioned. My yard is still too wet to actually get out and use it. It would probably sink half way up the rims!

I don’t seem to have the first four issues unless they appear over time. And I went over it when he delivered knowing your issue with the finish.

The only item in the list that isn’t pretty easy to remedy would be the low idle. But my opinion is that’s pretty much for warm up and “I’m getting off the tractor to move that damn planter to mow”

You will notice the throttle issue when you push it higher like WOT for mowing where the increased throttle spring tension then pulls the lever back lower. Those two jam nuts are not putting enough friction on the throttle lever as adjusted by the factory. I always thought my throttle lever on my B2920 was insanely stiff, now I know why.

Add this to the list, I was using my boom sprayer yesterday, creeping slow in low gear, the cruise control would not engage at that low speed. I'll have to experiment to see what the slowest speed is.

Boom sprayer...best implement ever! Trying to pull a tow beyond broadcast spreader and keep moving fast enough to fling the weed and feed over a bumpy hilly lawn with trees to navigate, flinging dry weed and feed grains all over the place where you don't want them, getting bounced around, wow highly annoying. The boom sprayer is so awesome in comparison. Precise control, 10 foot wide path, poke along relaxed, couldn't be happier.

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
Yet another one for the list, CHECK YOUR FRONT AXLE OIL LEVEL. I'm less than 25 hours on mine and I noticed yesterday that on a slide slope downhill/left some crunching bucking coming from the front axle, in only 2 wheel drive.

I had noticed this a couple times before when mowing but thought it was the mower deck anti scalp wheels hitting some rocks. But I had the deck in the full up position yesterday spraying.

Nope turns out the oil level in my front axle was not filled properly. I don't know how low it is, it doesn't even register on the dip stick. Obviously some oil in there as it only is giving me an issue on a side slope. I picked up a quart of oil about an hour ago and heading out to fill in a few minutes.

Also noticed the coolant level is well below the Low mark and the entire system only takes 3 quarts so not even 1 gallon.

Yes when they delivered the tractor I specifically asked them, are all the fluids topped up and is the tractor ready to go.

DanR

Apr 26, 2018
Moncton, NB, Canada
Yet another one for the list, CHECK YOUR FRONT AXLE OIL LEVEL. I'm less than 25 hours on mine and I noticed yesterday that on a slide slope downhill/left some crunching bucking coming from the front axle, in only 2 wheel drive.

I had noticed this a couple times before when mowing but thought it was the mower deck anti scalp wheels hitting some rocks. But I had the deck in the full up position yesterday spraying.

Nope turns out the oil level in my front axle was not filled properly. I don't know how low it is, it doesn't even register on the dip stick. Obviously some oil in there as it only is giving me an issue on a side slope. I picked up a quart of oil about an hour ago and heading out to fill in a few minutes.

Also noticed the coolant level is well below the Low mark and the entire system only takes 3 quarts so not even 1 gallon.

Yes when they delivered the tractor I specifically asked them, are all the fluids topped up and is the tractor ready to go.

Good to know. I’ll check all fluids and tire pressures to make sure they did a proper PDI.

It sounds like your dealer kinda $hit the bed preparing that rig for you.

deathtoblackberries

Equipment
B2920
Mar 25, 2013
Battle Ground, WA
Good to know. I’ll check all fluids and tire pressures to make sure they did a proper PDI.

It sounds like your dealer kinda $hit the bed preparing that rig for you.

Its a top dealer, been in business 40+ years. Their counter guy knows Kubota inside and out I'm completely impressed with him. But they got a new younger kid doing new tractor assembly/prep with their long time mechanic. I had to remove the mower deck and spend hours cleaning because the kid over greased it, first mow flung gobs of red grease everywhere top and bottom. I'm talking scoop it up with your hands.

The front axle took a bit over 1/2 quart (18oz) to reach the mid point on the dip stick. That makes me feel better that it wasn't lower. Topped up the coolant. HST and engine oil were filled to max.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Could be worse. My dealer when they put the FEL on used the new guy (not a kid, ex farmer decided to become a mechanic). Seems he just forgot to grease any of the loader at all, it made some funny noises which I ignored until the brother in law said "that thing got any grease in it" and I looked. Seems to me he'd lost one of the grease nipples, thought to himself "need to get one of those" then never came back. So I had one grease nipple missing and no grease at all anywhere.

Moral of the story - always assume your dealer is an idiot, then you'll be pleasantly surprised if they're not.