Clutch won't disengage from flywheel

fwheat

Equipment
L2350 Tractor 25 HP
Mar 10, 2009
St Johns county, FL
I can start the engine on my L2350, but when I try to put it in a gear, the gears grind. I have been using the tractor up until two weeks ago and when I tried to drive it I discovered this problem. I called a local Kubota dealer and he instructed me to put it in gear, depress the clutch, and start the engine in gear. He said to get the tractor moving and rev up the engine and then slam on the brakes. This is supposed to break away the pressure plate from the flywheel, I supposed. I did this 7 or 8 times, but it is still stuck. I have quotes from dealers to replace the clutch for $800 to $1,300. What should be a fair price to replace the clutch?

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hello wheat, thank you for signing up to the forum and submitting your inquiry.

Was your equipment sitting for a while, possibly outside? I do know that it is possible for the pressure plate to rust itself a bit to the flywheel which is what you might be experiencing. Vic will know the best remedy - once he's got a connection to the internet again (he's snowed in a the moment), I'll ask him to come on and toss some recommendations out.

Welcome to the site!

fwheat

Equipment
L2350 Tractor 25 HP
Mar 10, 2009
St Johns county, FL
Thanks Mr. K- No, it has not been sitting for a long time, two to three weeks. A couple of days ago, I tried to start it and the clutch's safety switch would not let the starter engage. I tapped on the switch a time or two and then it started up fine. Two hours later, I started to do some work and it started fine, but when I tried to put it into gear, with the clutch in, it would grind the gears. After that I tried the procedure that I explained in my original post.

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
My B8200 has a small flip up lever to lock the clutch in. It's a pity the last guy to own the tractor didn't use it cause my clutch is rusted on too.

steve01

Equipment
B7100D with a B219 loader, B3548 mower
Jun 30, 2009
Lake, Mi.
Yep on that small block of wood. Kubota used to ship that item in the toolbox of each new Kubota tractor. Painted black, had a yellow sticker on it showing how to place it as well as a heavy cardbord tag wired onto the clutch pedal explaining it's use.

I'll post a picture of that item in a day or so. Pretty hard to find that item now as most were misplaced, lost, or never used!
I bet it looks like this!!! Mine is in French and English.

Attachments