TSC Subsoiler Modification

atljetmech

Equipment
B2601 w/ MMM & FEL
Jun 24, 2015
Ball Ground, GA
OK so I purchased this Subsoiler from my local TSC because they had one on the lot and I liked the beefy design. Well I get it home and put it on my B2601 and it's so tall that even full up position on the 3 point, I can't level it out with the top link (ie...it's still dragging the ground!)

I had planned on making this a combo implement anyway by welding on a 2" receiver hitch so I decided to chop the 3/4" plate steel "backbone" of the subsoiler down just enough to allow me to drive around safely with it in the full up position when I'm using it as a subsoiler. As a bonus with my modification, I can remove the foot and plate doublers all together for extra ground clearance and not have to worry about it catching on anything during normal tractor operations, which is the majority of the time.

After measuring 4-6 times and triple-checking everything, I decided to make the cut!
Then notched out the receiver tube for fitting over the 3/4" spine.

Attachments

atljetmech

Equipment
B2601 w/ MMM & FEL
Jun 24, 2015
Ball Ground, GA
Next I made the removal cut from the spine (I think it was right at 5")....

I clamped it in place and drilled 4 additional holes for it and then took all seven up to 1/2" diameter.

In full up position I have right at 4" of ground clearance now but still have adequate digging depth.

Attachments

Last edited:

atljetmech

Equipment
B2601 w/ MMM & FEL
Jun 24, 2015
Ball Ground, GA
I didn't take any close up pics of it completed :eek: .....but I did get to put it to work yesterday before the rains came to continue my drain line project.

The subsoiler worked great in 4wd Low breaking up hard GA red clay to make my front end loader's job cake scooping out the busted up soil....

Attachments

atljetmech

Equipment
B2601 w/ MMM & FEL
Jun 24, 2015
Ball Ground, GA
I was backfilling and compacting when my load of fill dirt arrived about the same time the rain came so I had to tarp the dirt and shut her down for the day.

I should add that this project stemmed from another project.....
A concrete pad addition I had poured disrupted two drain lines so they had to be relocated.

Attachments

atljetmech

Equipment
B2601 w/ MMM & FEL
Jun 24, 2015
Ball Ground, GA
I also wanted to add that during this subsoiler mod I debated on whether to convert it to a shear type design but after researching it more with tractors of my size, ultimately decided against it as I would have had to use less fasteners and have some slightly loose to allow pivot upon shearing. That, I felt, would have contributed to quicker wear, more sloppy movement of implement, and a weaker design.

I will always be in 4 Lo at a very slow speed, doing multiple depth passes, and from everything I've researched, the tractor will just stop and spin tires on a major obstruction.

It worked great as is and felt super strong and I have the 2" receiver hitch as an added bonus.

Last edited:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Great modification & great write up!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Did you entertain the idea of using a male hitch tube and make the Subsoiler slide into the receiver hitch? Especially since you decided against a Shear Pin. Course then the Subsoiler mod. may have made it to short in length that way.

atljetmech

Equipment
B2601 w/ MMM & FEL
Jun 24, 2015
Ball Ground, GA
Did you entertain the idea of using a male hitch tube and make the Subsoiler slide into the receiver hitch? Especially since you decided against a Shear Pin. Course then the Subsoiler mod. may have made it to short in length that way.
I did not. I didn't have a receiver hitch implement (or trailer mover as some call it) to begin with and figured I could have one less implement welding a 2" receiver tube on this subsoiler I had already bought. Besides, I think most subsoilers are of the 3 point hitch design anyway.

Seeing how not all subsoiler's have a shear design and this one did not originally, and from what I've researched about them, I felt fine not having a shear pin on this one I modified.

I am however going to convert my tow behind plug aerator to a receiver type to slide into this implement as I like the idea of being able to lift it as needed crossing hard surfaces (or surfaces I don't want to aerate) and of course to vary the down pressure applied while aerating.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Weld 2 more tubes towards the outside, and a couple square tubes to use as forks. I have three reciever tubes on something like yours, it rarely comes off the tractor. I think i could build a subsoiler to plug in to the reciever.that is an excellent mod, to make a dual purpose implement.

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Ya'll have definitely given me some ideas for mine. A reciever hitch is gonna be a must on the upgrades :D Great ideas and a great build :D

atljetmech

Equipment
B2601 w/ MMM & FEL
Jun 24, 2015
Ball Ground, GA
Weld 2 more tubes towards the outside, and a couple square tubes to use as forks. I have three reciever tubes on something like yours, it rarely comes off the tractor. I think i could build a subsoiler to plug in to the reciever.that is an excellent mod, to make a dual purpose implement.
That's a great idea and one I may add at a later date. Some strong forks out back would be useful at times. Seem's it would also be handy to store a couple more hitch options on board (such as a pintle and D-ring shackle).
This implement, like yours, will remain on my 3 point the majority of the time and with the foot and doublers removed, I have plenty of ground clearance even in full down position.

I love multi use items/equipment! :D

Oh and sorry for the wrong category and thanks for moving the thread to whomever!

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
....Oh and sorry for the wrong category and thanks for moving the thread to whomever!
It was a catch 22. Could have gone either way. This is obviously Implement related/informative...... yet fabrication heavy as well. Thus made it best of both worlds and left a permanent redirect in the Implement section which brings folk who click it, over to here

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I am however going to convert my tow behind plug aerator to a receiver type to slide into this implement as I like the idea of being able to lift it as needed crossing hard surfaces (or surfaces I don't want to aerate) and of course to vary the down pressure applied while aerating.
You do know that a three point does not exert any down force, the only force it has is on lift. ;)

atljetmech

Equipment
B2601 w/ MMM & FEL
Jun 24, 2015
Ball Ground, GA
Just a quick update to add a few more pics since I didn't get any of the finished assembly.

I'm gonna wire wheel it all down and give it a couple coats of paint. I need to get by my dealer and see what they offer (and how much $$) for factory paint color in spray can's. I think it would look good in say......ORANGE! :D

Unless someone here has sourced a good matching paint elsewhere.....

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
...Unless someone here has sourced a good matching paint elsewhere.....
Here is one thread on Paint

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20379&highlight=Paint

There are TON of threads with mentions on Paint. Try search in here for [ Paint Orange Kubota ] Unfortunately you can't search by RAL. Several have listed the RAL number in here. There is a recent thread on paint that should be on the top page of Service section right now. Been mention of a Kubota orange paint from TSC too.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/search/Kubota Orange Paint

Last edited: