Heat in the seat

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Read in a recent post about heat blowing on the operator on some newer Kubota models.I really noticed the same issue on mine this afternoon, especially around HST pedal (right side floorboard). Temp today was lower 90's. The heat blowing from the engine is almost unbearble after an hour or so especially on the right side. Any suggestions on keeping the heat down?

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I haven't noticed this yet, but I did notice that there is a guard on the left side and not on the right side. If I remember right, it is a piece of black plastic and wondered why there isn't something on the right.

Wolfman, it would be nice if it was cool anytime you wanted to use the tractor, but not winter snow cold.

KennedyFarmer

Equipment
L3901, with not enough attachments
Jun 8, 2015
Pennsylvania
My hood has insulation around the DPF area. I assume its to make that area hotter. I noticed the heat with the black canopy it was getting trapped and radiating downward. Since I painted the canopy white i haven't had that issue. I do feel some heat from the right side but it normally from running a while. My tractor fun is normally short stints, one hour or less. normally around the hour mark it starts to get warm on the right side. I haven't felt unbearable yet.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
No heat noticed off my L3800 here in summer or winter.

(I just roll up the "winders" and hit the A/C button. IN MY DREAMS!!! :D)

Speaking of which, in winter my temp gauge stays about 1/3 and in summer under load it never gets above half way. Efficient system.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
KennedyFarmer, I would think the insulation around the DPF area is to keep the heat from damaging the paint on the hood. When doing a regen, the DPF gets very hot.

My VW Jetta TDI will run both fans on the radiator to force air around the DPF till it cools off if the was a regen going when you shut the engine down.

I was using the tractor for a couple of hours yesterday and I checked to see how much heat was coming from the right side and I did notice it was a little hotter then the left, but I didn't think it was that bad. It only got to 80 yesterday, so that might have something to do with it.

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Thanks for the suggestions. No snow in the forecast here for atleast 6 or 7 months, if it snows at all! Can't wait that long to be on the Kubota! ***128512; The boot and floorboard idea is a fine looking project and definantly maybe something I try. It does seem, however, that the heat is coming from the engine and blowing on top of the floorboard and not coming from underneath.

I am afraid a floormat and boot could prevent the little bit of circulation that is permitted with the prefabed holes in the floorboard already. I am also concerned that if I block the "airflow" from the engine (on the top side of the floorboard with say a rubber guard or a piece of sheet metal) I may cause an overheating problem to the engine.

Edit: when I stated previously the heat was "unbearable" the more appropriate word would have been "uncomfortable". The coolant levels are fine and the engine is running exactly between C and H, by all accounts the engine is running at the correct temp under the conditions it is in. I was also not in a regen. Thanks again for all the input!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Wait to use the tractor till it's snowing! ;) :D:p:eek::cool:
Point of fact - in Upstate New York, I have NEVER hit an alligator with the snowblower!!:D;)

Snow is THE BEST Alligator repellant! :p:p

Seriously, I hope you can find a good solution or accommodation.

Best wishes with your new machine!

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My smart aleck reply would be drive faster :D. Get that nice breeze going!

Was mowing back pasture yesterday, really nice day, but pretty toasty on the tractor. The 3560 has some vertical clear plastic panels that come up a foot or so in front of where your feet go that might function partly to deflect hot air coming out the nearby vents over the engine. Or mud off the front wheels. If the 01's have the cab designed differently you might be able to improvise something to get the hot air to go sideways and not right onto your legs. I think it is being sucked out of the engine compartment through those backward facing vents.

It was nicer around the edges of the pasture where there are some trees and cool shade air to go through, but then there are the branches and the ROPS, and the poison ivy. Was considering the wisdom of mowing through that with the flail...:eek:

JR4AL

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5800
Sep 7, 2014
Jackson, AL, USA
Point of fact - in Upstate New York, I have NEVER hit an alligator with the snowblower!!:D;)

Snow is THE BEST Alligator repellant! :p:p

Seriously, I hope you can find a good solution or accommodation.

Best wishes with your new machine!
Incidentailly, I have never dodged a penguin or a polar bear while discing or bush hogging!

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
Mine gets really hot too around the HST and seems to bake the legs and the ole twig and berries :eek:, but its the price we pay to own these tractors I guess. Still love my machine! :cool:

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Here's a look at the way I eliminated most of the heat coming back. this is the left side, but you get the idea. All the window area in the cab I built is tinted automotive safety glass except below the windshield where it had to be coped around the hood. That is Lexan. When I completed the cab the weather was cold, so having some heat leak into the cab was not a bad thing. When the weather warmed up, the added heat was less welcome. I used some flat pieces of 1" or so thick Armaflex to block off the gaps between the front of the cab and the engine area.

The past two summers I've been comfortable by lifting the doors off the hinge pins and running what I call a "bus driver fan". It's a 2-speed 12V fan that with rotation and tilt adjustment. In hot weather it is aimed at me and in cold it helps prevent the windows from fogging up.

Attachments