Woke to that sound

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Man I was sound asleep, and then started dreaming of old 50's and 60's sifi movies.
You know the ones where critters mutate due to the atomic bomb testing,,,
I laid there listening,, to that sound,, you know that sound that always played in the back ground before something happens to the actors.
DAMNED LOCUST's ( yes I know they are cicadas) good lord they started singing at dawn this morning. Furface is having a blast chasing and killing them and she hasnt eaten in a couple days so they must taste OK. Walk across the drive way and the empty shells just crunch under foot, and my poor truck looks like it went through,, well something, cause theres bug guts all over it. Oh well only every 17 years or something,,
Yall have a most safe weekend,,, and
THANK YOU to all who have served
semper fi
skeets
Modify message

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
them little buggers hit us about 4 years ago, damnest noise you ever heard! If the noise was all there was - I could tolerate that for a while, but the damn small branch damage to all the trees was the part that pissed me off, we still have trees that show damage. Thank goodness these are the 17 year variety .....or is that 14 ???

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
them little buggers hit us about 4 years ago, damnest noise you ever hear! If the noise was all there was - I could tolerate that for a while, but the damn small branch damage to all the trees was the part that pissed me off, we still have trees that show damage. Thank goodness these are the 17 year variety .....or is that 14 ???
It was about 4 years ago here also. Weiney dog was funny, he would get out in the yard and lose his mind. I think it was about a week before he finally came inside :rolleyes:

kckndrgn

Equipment
BX2370 w/ 60" MMM and FEL, Box Blade, Bush Hog, Carry All & Tiller
Mar 17, 2016
Somerville, TN
We have them around here as well, If I recall correctly they go on a 13 year cycle. Thought you may hear them every year, every 13 there will be more of them.

I'll have to see how loud they are at my new home, so far i don't think I've heard a thing.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Years ago I had a Springer Spaniel/Beagle mix who loved eating cicadas more than anything else in the universe. Nothing made her happier. She would pass up any food or treats to munch down a live cicada. Didn't seem to hurt her, she was just 3 months short of her 19th birthday when she died.

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Skeets,
Thanks for remembering the Vets, both of who served and those that did not make it. I was USN from 65 to 71. Lost a few friends and still think about them.

and Skeets thank you for your service! I am still proud and still a bit pissed about Viet Nam. A tear for the 55,000

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Just got a memo, from the department of ag(grivation)... Seems there are 13 year broods of cicadas, and 17 year broods. and some that hatch early, by 4 years, and some that hatch late by 4 years... I ain't no mathematician, but seems there is always some around. If you want some good, clean country fun, throw a handful, inside the chicken fence...:D:D

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
In AZ you have them every year with some years crazier than others. Wet falls or winters seem to bring more out.

I'll let my dogs eat them after all the positive reports!

:)

Ray

To all the Vets... (Salute)