PTO Troubles

FormulaMatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX24
Aug 15, 2016
New Bern, NC
Hello all!

I have a new to me BX24 and still working out the bugs. It has about 700 hours on it, but of course 2 days after I got it home, the LCD display went dead.... Anyway, I am having a weird issue with the PTO. When turning on the MMM, I would always have to jiggle or move the bucket up and down to get it to turn on. The power to the FEL and BH has been fine so I didn't think much of it. At first it seemed and I thought it was me moving the FEL around that would make it work...well after messing around with it today...I realized it is more of a run time thing. If I use the tractor and drive it around for a while (10 mins give or take) It will engage the PTO by it self from the levers. It has no problems engaging EVERY TIME after that point. I can change from rear to both to mid and whatever I have it selected on will engage no problems after that point. Does it need to be a certain temp before it will allow the PTO to engage? My hydraulic fluid is full, but maybe it needs changed?

I attached a few pics of the ol girl. I appreciate any help!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The pto should engage at anytime the lever is pulled. If I am not mistaken - sounds if there is a cable that needs adjustment.

FormulaMatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX24
Aug 15, 2016
New Bern, NC
Anyone else have any other suggestions? I have my filters on order, and will change the fluid/filters as soon as it gets in, but I need to use this thing like yesterday. It is taking up to 45 mins to an hour now to turn on the PTO and I have to continually keep trying to engage it to even start the process.

Please help!

FormulaMatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX24
Aug 15, 2016
New Bern, NC
After watching some videos of people engaging their PTO's on other BX24's, I believe there is something wrong with either the levers or the engagement of the levers. Most people seem to be able to move their levers as freely as the 3pt height adjustment, the drive selector ect. All of mine move freely, minus the PTO engagement there is definite resistance and almost a binding feeling as if the arm is bound up or bent. I will try and see if I can get some pics of it and post those up.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I would look throughout the linkages - sounds as if something is bent! Try to upload pictures if possible!

FormulaMatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX24
Aug 15, 2016
New Bern, NC
I would look throughout the linkages - sounds as if something is bent! Try to upload pictures if possible!
Pulled the wheel off and started exploring. I found where the engagement lever moved forward the travel path was packed with dirt making it hard to move. I cleaned out the path and had much better movement. However, I still had to push the lever further then normal up top operation would allow. I used a small pry lever to push it the rest of the way forward from below and go figure the PTO came on every time.

What I think has happened is the buildup of dirt in the pathway has led to the previous owner and myself to push harder and harder on the lever causing it to bend thus not allowing it to engage all the way. I bent it back and it works every time now. I'm still not happy with the lever as it still seems a little bent, so I ordered a new one and will put it on. The good news is now the PTO turns on EVERY TIME I push the lever!

I'm so happy now. Thanks for your help!!