3 pt hitch won't lift auger out of ground

Kubotatractorman

Equipment
Rotary cutter, 9in auger
Aug 28, 2016
McCalla, AL
I've had an L3301dt for about a year now. No problems. Just recently put a 9in auger drill on the 3 pt hitch to dig holes for a fence. Lift seems to operate fine when not in ground. As soon as auguer digs down 4-6 inches, the 3 pt hitch will not pull the drill out of the ground! It seems like my 3 pt hitch is extremely weak. Tractor only has 50 hours on it. Fluid levels are fine. The Flow valve is all the way open turned couterclockwise for fast lifting. I have no idea what the two hex bolts are for under the seat. Im sure one of them controls pressure. I know one of them has threading on it. Help!
thanks!

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Not that uncommon to have that issue.

Don't run the bit all the way in, do it in short bursts and keep the hole cleaned out.

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
Only 4-6 inches in?? That doesn't sound right at all. 4 feet I might understand but not 4 inches.

Wolfman is correct though, do short bursts or you'll be screwing the auger out with a pipe wrench or digging it out with a shovel. Been there done that.

Kubotatractorman

Equipment
Rotary cutter, 9in auger
Aug 28, 2016
McCalla, AL
Once the auger makes a few turns into the ground it gets stuck. We used my dads tractor to build a fence a few years ago and it only got stuck once out of about 150 holes. I bought this tractor last year brand new and I've also noticed that the lift won't pick my bushhog up very high. Only about 10 inches off the ground. I believe something is wrong with the 3pt. It's not like we are burying the auger everytime. We literally only dig down maybe 6 inches and the lift will not pull it back up.
My dads old L220 will lift the front tires off the ground because the 3pt hitch is so strong. We are even rotating the auger while simultaneously pulling up the lift and it just digs harder to China. In 5 hours we dug 1.5 holes. It's just not acting right. I'm calling the dealership tomorrow. I just jumped on here thinking it was something I could adjust. There's no bad sounds or anything like that. Just seems super weak. Also, it will lift the auger up really high when it's not digging. But will only lift the cutter up a few inches. This is another reason I think something is wrong. The cutter weighs more and the 3pt just can't handle the weight. Those things are supposed to lift 600 lbs.

Last edited:

Kubotatractorman

Equipment
Rotary cutter, 9in auger
Aug 28, 2016
McCalla, AL
Well I just hooked up to my cutter and my wife and I both stood on it and the hitch lifted us up no problem at all. Our weight totals 340 and I'm guessing the bush-hog is at least 300lbs. So I guess when the auger gets stuck it's because of a new sharp auger getting caught?
Do you guys have any experience with brand new augers getting stuck more easily at just 6-10 inches in the ground?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Depends on the soil conditions really. I've had mine stick so bad it pulled the front wheels off the ground. Now I just lower in small amounts. Let it bite in and clear then lower again. I don't keep lifting it out of the hole, just let it cut thru and pull the dirt up. When I get half the auger in I'll lift it some to sling the dirt out and it seems to work well.

Kubotatractorman

Equipment
Rotary cutter, 9in auger
Aug 28, 2016
McCalla, AL
Gotcha! Thanks for the reply. I guess when mine gets stuck, the reason the front tires don't lift off the ground is because I have the front loader and its heavy. Because I'm used to the 3pt lift pulling so hard. The ground is pretty hard right now as well.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
It takes a LOT more force than you would think to pull that auger out. Do a quick search for "earth anchors" and you will find that they look very similar to your auger.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya beat me to it,,,lol, slow and steady rocks and roots will give you a devil of a time as well

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
Is there an adjustment in the auger mounts? If it lifts it a lot higher than needed then there might be some adjustment so that it won't lift as high and give you more lifting power.

With the mower, it likely won't lift the front very high but you can adjust the top link to lift the back end higher.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If the 3point hitch won't lift the post hole digger out if it is only in the ground 4-6", then something is wrong. I would talk to your dealer about it and see if they can check the hydraulic pressure feeding the 3 point hitch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post a picture of your three point, some models have several point to attach the upper lift arms to the lower lift arms and that will effect strength.
also lift is also effected by the point at which the center link (normally the top link on other three point implements) is attached. ;)

Kubotatractorman

Equipment
Rotary cutter, 9in auger
Aug 28, 2016
McCalla, AL
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will watch the video for sure. I have one more question. I have a front bucket, will that affect my hitch pressure? When we were digging, I had the bucket about 4 feet off the ground. I didn't try it with the bucket on the ground. Could that have an affect? When I stood on the mower with my wife, and it picked us up no problem, the bucket was on the floor. Also, would it be wise to take the bucket completely off?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
To be ABSOLUTELY sure the bucket is not meaningfully affecting the 3PH just put it on the ground in float.

Usually it makes no difference but you might as well give it a try. That way you'll know for sure.

You can leave the bucket on. If it is not being used it won't have an effect.

KenJ

Equipment
B7510HST / LA302 FEL
Dec 30, 2015
Terrace, BC, Canada
A couple of years ago we put in a new fence line and hired a bobcat with a six inch auger to dig the holes. The ground here is good soil over packed sand, easy going for the auger - sometimes too easy! Part way through one hole the auger found a large root and proceeded to screw itself down so hard and fast that it bent both hydraulic rams on the bobcat before he could stop it. Might not have happened if the auger had a little more resistance.
Since then we just get a backhoe with a plate compactor and drive the posts in, don't even have to fill the holes.

adventure bob

Equipment
l6060
Nov 6, 2013
Colorado Springs
When you try to lift the auger is it trying to lift the front of the tractor off the ground? If that's the case its stuck. If its not then your lift arms have an issue. 24" behind the lift arms you should be pulling about 1430LBS/650KG. Well enough force to at least notice the front trying to come up. If that's not convincing enough, get a shovel and jump on it in the same spot. If you can sink the shovel with your body weight, there's not a rationale reason your tractor cant pull the auger out other than an issue with the hydraulics.