L1500 seat upgrade

andyh1956

Equipment
L1500 gray market
Jul 16, 2013
thomastown mississippi
Greetings from Mississippi. What have folks used for seat upgrades? We have a little L1500 that has pulled a 5' finish mower for prolly 25 yrs & the seat pan has rusted out. Now this little tractor is KILLING my back nowadays so if I can't find something a little more comfortable then I may have to replace it with something else. I made adapters & have 35 x 12.5 x 15" all terrain type tires on the rear. The tractor's tires are such a small dia that any depression in the ground swallows the tire & transmits the shock to my back! I thought there may be a suspension style seat that folks have used on these tractors that would ride better. Thanks
Andy

Edit-I think I may buy this seat & adapt it to the tractor with some type of spring suspension under the rear, maybe a couple of small block Chevy valve springs or a piece of closed cell foam- gotta do SOMETHING even if it's wrong at this point!
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200490177_200490177

Last edited:

Steve NC

Equipment
B7100D, L2900DT, ZD21, G6200,
Dec 29, 2014
Sandy Bottom North Carolina
that's a pretty good price on the seat. I have been watching that one for some time now at a few other stores and most of them are about $20-$30 higher. Northern Tool carries a suspension base that might work on that seat. If not I know they have other seats made for it. You might want to giver that a look if you are trying to find something to soften your ride.

Take a look at this one, you will have to do some adapting but it might be made to work.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200665189_200665189

Last edited:

andyh1956

Equipment
L1500 gray market
Jul 16, 2013
thomastown mississippi
I went ahead & got the NH seat, it's nice. Well made, good cushion & good back support. The tractor where the seat fits is not "Friendly" to suspension seat mounting, not flat at all. After I get my hinge fabricated I will cut the rear support down & weld a piece of angle across it & I have some Caterpillar valve springs that should work ok. But I'm just in the "Engineering" phase now. I will post some piks up when I get further along.