After three years the verdict is out...

AuburnAlum

Equipment
L2501 HST
Dec 27, 2015
Calahaln, NC
So I have spent three years searching for the perfect tractor to take care of my 14 acres. This is my first tractor. I have looked, and test driven: Deere, Massey, Case, Mahindra, Yanmar, and Kubota. I have spent countless hours looking at the forums and reading review. The requirements are:

-tilling for a garden and small food plot
-grapple for moving brush around
-rotary cutter for maintenance of areas
-box blade to help maintain drive and paths

I finally landed on the Kubota L2501. Thanks to the education from my Salesman Bill Hall at Statesville Ag and Turf. They performed some great work and even some better work than what Kubota provides out of the box. What I ended up getting in the package:

-Kubota L2501 HST with FEL and R4 tires
-Top-n-tilt
-1st and 2nd function
-Wheel spacers (Kubota) for my hilly terrain
-Quick attach QA15
-Box blade BB1260
-Rotary Cutter RTC 1860
-Tiller RTA 1258
-Grapple SGC 1060

I cannot wait to get working with it on our property. Thank you so much for all the help!

Attachments

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Welcome and good luck with your new tractor a lot of good reviews on that machine so I'm sure it will serve you well.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Congratulations!

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Congrats on the new equipment.

I have the RCR 1860 and it has been a good cutter.

I also have the RTA 1258 Tiller and it works great.

I wish I had the Top-n-tilt and QH. :D

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Sweet. You are going to enjoy having the rear remotes, and I presume 3rd function up front for the grapple.
My parents 85 year old neighbor bought an L2501 to replace HIS father’s Ford 2N. I would have preferred he got a cab tractor because he plows his 1/2 mile driveway, and bush hogs 10 acres or so. Anyway, he loves it and it does everything the 2N could do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
So I have spent three years searching for the perfect tractor.......
Three years! :eek:

Sounds like a very thorough comparison of models and brands. What was the determining factor that brought you to Kubota?

Enjoy the seat time.
You’ve earned it! :)

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The L2501 is an amazing machine. Congrats! Tell us how you like the Top n Tilt with the QH. My dealer recommended against it, but it would be great to get your opinion!

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
..... This is my first tractor....
P.S. Along with enjoying your new tractor, Be Safe!
Read some of the stuff around here of the things we have done and wished we had not. You have a powerful machine there.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
The L2501 is an amazing machine. Congrats! Tell us how you like the Top n Tilt with the QH. My dealer recommended against it, but it would be great to get your opinion!
I should add that a few users over on TBN said a TnT with the QH worked well enough...so I leave it up to you!

AuburnAlum

Equipment
L2501 HST
Dec 27, 2015
Calahaln, NC
Three years! :eek:

Sounds like a very thorough comparison of models and brands. What was the determining factor that brought you to Kubota?

Enjoy the seat time.
You’ve earned it! :)
I would have to say the number one influence was my Dealer. Statesville Ag and Turf was very educational and helpful in telling me the pros and cons of each model and brand. They are a Massey dealer also so I was looking at them just as hard. I liked that I could get everything matched on the Kubota. I would not have to worry about quality.

There is a John Deere dealer about a mile closer and I went down the JD route first as I am a novice to tractors. The Dealer was more interested in larger customers even though they had a ton of 1,2,3 series on the lot. I also did not like how JD is very proprietary on their equipment. The equivalent models were less capable for the same price.

The lower cost models like Mahindra, LS, etc were just not something I was interested in. Too many stories about problems and really horrible warranty service.

Also to note that when it came to quotes I received very comparable quotes from a high volume dealer and other Kubota dealer.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
you got a great package there. I think that you will be very happy with your investment.

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
...There is a John Deere dealer about a mile closer and I went down the JD route first as I am a novice to tractors. The Dealer was more interested in larger customers even though they had a ton of 1,2,3 series on the lot...
My first experience with tractor dealers was while purchasing a mower. Bought a JD D130 4 years back, nearly had to fire a flare into the sky to get the attention of salesman. He mentioned that JD doesn't really make any profit off of their mowers, they were more for advertisement and brand recognition, which I interpreted as "WE don't really profit from them", therefore HE didn't make any money from them. By the time the sale was completed, I felt like I owed him an apology... Sure wish I'd have seen the new Kubota riding mower I was looking at last June at the Kubota event back then. Oh well.

Enjoy your new rig, that's a pretty sweet setup you've got!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
So I have spent three years searching for the perfect tractor to take care of my 14 acres.............................
Congrats! I'll admit that my initial thought after reading your first sentence was "Three years? Does this guy really need a tractor?":D

millsrv

Equipment
L2501 HST, LA525, BH77, Gannon Rollover Scraper, Titan Skid Steer Attach Forks
Nov 20, 2015
Placerville, CA
"So I have spent three years searching for the perfect tractor to take care of my 14 acres. This is my first tractor. I have looked, and test driven: Deere, Massey, Case, Mahindra, Yanmar, and Kubota. I have spent countless hours looking at the forums and reading review"

Well, don't let anyone tell you that you did not do your homework, three years of research, Wow!

I have spent the last 3 years using my L2501 which now has 160 hours on the clock, so for what it is worth I'd say you made a decent choice.

Based on the effort you put into doing your research I would be very interested to know more about other things that you have purchased, for example; your vehicles, consumer electronics, house paint, tools, etc.

All the best with your new Kubota, you are going to bond with the beast!

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
Thats a great setup. I have one question for you though, as I too work on hilly terrain: Why did you opt to space out the rear wheels versus fill them will liquid for stability?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thats a great setup. I have one question for you though, as I too work on hilly terrain: Why did you opt to space out the rear wheels versus fill them will liquid for stability?
Actually one should do both - both within spec's - not too much spacer and not to much fill. Both allow the CG to stay as low as possible, 2" spacer and 75% fill make a hellva difference that is felt in the seat.