Has anyone made a 3 point ballast that doubles as a lawn roller?

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
I just got a BX and I already know I'll need rear ballast of some type. In thinking between building or just buying a box, I started seeing cheap "barrel ballast" builds where people fill barrels with concrete with a bar through it for attachment to the hitch.

This got me thinking about all the lawn rollers that are filled with water and people walk behind to smooth their lawns....could a similar concept be developed? I'm thinking the little BX1880 I have "only" needs about 500# ballast.

Would there be any major problems taking something like a 30 gallon barrel filled with concrete and a bar running through it vertically, then mount it sideways. I could raise it and use as ballast or potentially lower it and let it "roll" to flatten?

Probably a stupid idea since if it was a good one, someone would have already done it but thought I'd ask.

rexey

Jun 29, 2017
New Hampshire.
I just got a BX and I already know I'll need rear ballast of some type. In thinking between building or just buying a box, I started seeing cheap "barrel ballast" builds where people fill barrels with concrete with a bar through it for attachment to the hitch.

This got me thinking about all the lawn rollers that are filled with water and people walk behind to smooth their lawns....could a similar concept be developed? I'm thinking the little BX1880 I have "only" needs about 500# ballast.

Would there be any major problems taking something like a 30 gallon barrel filled with concrete and a bar running through it vertically, then mount it sideways. I could raise it and use as ballast or potentially lower it and let it "roll" to flatten?

Probably a stupid idea since if it was a good one, someone would have already done it but thought I'd ask.

Call Kubota and find out how much the land pride one weighs for your tractor. Then don't go over that weight. For warranty and every other reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Not a stupid idea, at all. A couple considerations: A roller aught to be about the width of your 1880. Is that wider than you want for ballast? If liquid filled, do you need to use it in the Winter?

My roller used to be a small boiler and works well. Not sure how long an oil drum will hold up rolling across the ground.

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I'd think the problem lies in the width of the roller that would be needed. Your lower link arms won't go wide enough for a roller that covers your tire tracks. One that is a narrow enough would take forever to use with any kind of practicality.
And if you built one wide enough to cover the tracks, then built the attachment points off the ends to converge on a point narrow enough so your lower link arms could fit, you'd end up with so much weight, so far back that your machine probably wouldn't be able to lift it. That or the roller would be so light that you've offset any effectiveness it could have had.

My opinion anyway.
I do like the idea however. It might be better suited for a larger machine, with more 3pt lift capacity.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
Make a narrow one, then put a 3d relief dinosaur foot on it, and make tracks!

:)

Bruce

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
If you fill with liquid don't leave space for it to slosh around.

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
Thanks for all the great and funny responses! I am trying to avoid paying hundreds of dollars for what amounts to a featureless metal box but I go back and forth between the logistics of building one and just buying one.

If the roller idea isnt suited for all the reasons listed (which I agree with, mainly the width aspect) I would like it to be as compact as I can while still doing its job.

I considered building on a TSC carry-all with a platform but it isnt very compact.

I have a feeling if I'm patient on craigslist one will pop up that just needs a paint job but I always enjoy a DIY project.

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

One factor your design is not taking into consideration. Lawn rollers sized to be pulled behind a garden tractor and intended to be pulled by a draw bar which allows the roller to pivot and follow the tractor. A roller connected to the 3 pt hitch will not have the "follow the tractor" feature and may start cutting up the lawn as you turn.

The better rollers have an edge which is rolled up a bit to help avoid the roller from digging in while being pulled on the draw bar. I mention this feature only to help convince you that digging in can be a problem at the best of times.

Dave

tiktock

Jun 27, 2018
Plaistow
One factor your design is not taking into consideration. Lawn rollers sized to be pulled behind a garden tractor and intended to be pulled by a draw bar which allows the roller to pivot and follow the tractor. A roller connected to the 3 pt hitch will not have the "follow the tractor" feature and may start cutting up the lawn as you turn.

The better rollers have an edge which is rolled up a bit to help avoid the roller from digging in while being pulled on the draw bar. I mention this feature only to help convince you that digging in can be a problem at the best of times.

Dave
Great point.....I have a leaf cyclone that has a "fixed" trailer and I have to be careful of exactly what you describe if I'm not careful and that has swivel wheels to boot.

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
i used a 100 lb propane tank-be sure to purge it 100% 2x2 sq tubing to make a frame and pull tongue - hole in tongue for a connecting pin plasma cut a 1" circle in the curved portion of the tank MAKE SURE IT ALL PURGED and welded a 1" pipe fitting with a removable plug standard stuff at hardware stores 1/2 " steel rod welded to tank at each end bolted pillow block bearings on the frame ends and Bob's your uncle
hooks up to tractor very easy and pulls easy sprayed orange and ready to roll

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
I don't know, guys. Wish I could draw a picture and post it as I don't think the design would be all that difficult. Get your tank with rounded ends. Run a 1" shaft all the way through for an axle and weld it in. Simple square tube frame staying in tight to the tank. Pins for your three point welded to frame and greasable bushings for the axle. Two plugs and your done.

Tight turns would most likely not be in the cards but wider easy turns would not present any issues. I see three point core aerators out there and they would be even more limited in the turns.