WANTED Commercial TLB <40 HP

Bruin4

Jan 14, 2014
Warren, CT USA
Hello,

I am looking for a small / mid size TLB like the L35 / B21 / L39 / B26 in the NY, NJ, New England area. I would consider other sturdy brands but nothing that came painted green.

I wanted the smaller frame mounted backhoe. I have looked at several truly used L35's. By used I mean that they were beat, needing everything from tires to hydraulics and have leaks, most have never been stored inside a day in their lives and all had 3000 hours or more but all were still running and turning out the work.

I have found several, low low hour units that are very reasonably priced but their location makes transport costs prohibitive. Including an absolute beauty with 130 hours on it but 3300 miles is a long way to travel, especially at 3-4$ a mile transport fees.

I do notice that the newer B26's and L39's have come down in price and may be the better deal when compared to the older L35's or B21's.

The other route I could take is to buy a Massey 1540 or 1433, I also found a very clean 35 HP AGCO ( Massey) for 12K. But then again I know very little about the Massey brand and there seems to be less of a support network for them although Iseki is a good diesel engine builder and the Massey / AGCO units seem to be tough little machines that are much less then the Kubota's....but I don't know.

Thanks

Last edited:

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Hey Bruin, I'm here in CT as well and I have recently bought and sold machines for my customer who is upgrading his fleet. I made one trip to Oneida NY for a B2710 with FEL, cab, heat, and 600hours a few weeks ago and another last weekend to Mass for a Caterpillar 301.8 excavator.

If you have a reliable truck and trailer, don't rule out somewhat long haul (3300mi is a bit much though). Down south and in the midwest there are some good deals on low hour machines. If you can get it for the right price, and have them do lots of pictures and even some videos so you know the machine is solid....it might be worth taking the truck and towing it back.
Enterprise rents Ram 2500 diesel pickups now if your truck isn't reliable.....

I see TONS of stuff in PA....

If it means saving thousands, that's worth a day of travel in my mind...guess it depends on how much you make and how much free time you have....

Bruin4

Jan 14, 2014
Warren, CT USA
Thanks, I am not ruling out traveling to pick up a good unit, In fact I have bought two trucks and a car online from TX and NM.

I just found a local L39 and after a lot of consideration I think the newer L39 is a better value then the L35's, Its more money but with 198 hours on it ( true electronic metered hours not the cable run hour meter of the L35's) and a price tag of what I think will be 27K its a deal

We shall see

Bruin

shopteacher

Equipment
U35 Excavator
Jun 26, 2019
Charleroi Pa
Not sure if this would interest you but thought I***8217;d put it out there. I have a Massey 1240 with Woods front loader and frame mount backhoe. I purchased this ne and have the paperwork for it. It has around 450 hrs on the tractor and about 20 hrs on the hoe. I put it in the barn after buying a U35 excavator and it sat for about 5 yrs. Last time I took it out last summer the seal where the shaft comes from the rear transmission to the front began leaking and all the fluid drained. Haven***8217;t had time to split the tractor to see about replacing the seal. Looking to sell as I don***8217;t really use it anymore.

12251hd

Equipment
M6800, L35, RTV
Nov 23, 2018
Woodbridge, VA
Bruin,
Sounds like the L39 is the ticket for you. I have owned an L35 for nearly 15 years and it has been a great investment. Good luck.