HST trouble

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
I have a B1750 HSD 4wd with an oil leak where the propeller shaft enters the hst. I'm hoping the remove the old oil seal and press in a new one myself. How do I disconnect the propeller shaft from the shaft coming from the hst? I loosed the front wheel drive shaft to give my hand room to remove the circ clip from the coupler. The coupler slids 1/2 inch or so, back and forth, not enough to release from the hst. There just doesn't seem to be enough play to get these things apart.

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
I'm not sure of DOM we bought this tractor used in '94. S/N 64204 on the frame. A quick search on the net didn't help me in finding the DOM from the s/n. Is there any clues I can look for?

Last edited:

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I think you have one of the last of this model manufactured in 1989-90. The reason I say this is because these seals never leaked without the input shaft bearing wobbling from wear. If I'm remembing a product bulletin I saw years ago at a Dealer it stated changing the input seal also required a pressed on bearing to be changed for an effective seal of fluids. You know how Japan states stuff its down right funny sometimes. I was a Komatsu District Service Manager in the Southeast Region and traveled all over to my Distributors and looked at one of these used on the lot at Pittsburg, TX and this seal was leaking at 250+/- hours on a used tractor. Don said they would fix it ( said no big deal ) but don't get your hopes up if this is the same thing I remember reading you will have to split the case to fix right. Now,I may be full of it because I never bought this tractor ( but it was a sweet piece of Iron ) but I'd WD40 the heck out of the splines and clean with a tooth brush and slam the yoke end all the way back to the case and loosen the bolt completely out of the tube clamp taking a punch and beating the clamp off the split tube and you should come up with at least 1/4 of clearance to drop the engine driveshaft out of the way for the seal removal. I'd try it but in 10 hours of hard run in if it goes to leaking again your in for a bigger job Kjj... you know advise is cheap and free here but "buyer beware" I think I remember this model tractor for this defect dude...... let us know what happens. It really was a nice tractor in its day but the newer HSTs are sweeter...:)

Last edited:

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I was hesitant to really put some force to it at first. I've got 1080 hrs with no problems up to this point. It didn't leak until I dug out a LARGE stone from my front yard that worked the tractor hard. I hope I can get a new seal in and have another 1000 hrs without trouble.

Ob1kubota

Equipment
M9540DT
Jul 26, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Wow... well good luck in getting the seal to do it's job. It may be heat related and the bearing is okay. Please come back with the history on this fix others will praise you for it :)

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
No luck in getting that ball coupler off so I talked to my local dealer, (fantastic guy in Lakeview, MI), he said there might be a chance at getting to the seals without splitting the tractor. I got home and started pulling parts off. I'm taking pics and will try to post some. I've run into some problem bolts, and the left side filter will NOT come off. Neither will the lowest bolt on the left side going into the transmission case. The FEL frame and hydro line are in the way to get a socket on it and my open end wrench is softer than the bolt. Still working on it, at the very least I'm getting to know my tractor very well.

Last edited:

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
So, it took a few friday afternoons, saturday afternoons, sunday afternoons, and a couple new tools, but it's done. I've run it about an hour with no leaks so I feel good so far. I learned quite a bit about my tractor and how not to work on it. Like not doing this kind of job outside, on grass. I would next time remove the FEL and frame, and any other attachment, and driven away from them. I would take more pictures and notes about what went where, which order parts came off, and what bolts were used. Over all I am impressed with how solid the tractor is built and how well it has withstood the weather, very little rust on the bolts. Taking it apart gave me a chance to put some paint on the fenders, and clean 14 years of dirt off.

I would not recommend replacing this oil seal yourself.

kjjehnzen

Equipment
B1750 HSD
Sep 11, 2009
mecosta michigan usa
BTW I have 3 extra bolts, 1 I do know where it goes but can't get it in, busted 1 from the ROPS which I am kinda proud of, those bolts are tough (9's), and I can't find the pins to put the seat on with. Oh, I posted a few pics too.

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
BTW I have 3 extra bolts, 1 I do know where it goes but can't get it in, busted 1 from the ROPS which I am kinda proud of, those bolts are tough (9's), and I can't find the pins to put the seat on with. Oh, I posted a few pics too.
Pics? Where ?

Ohio_ford_farm

Equipment
B1750HST
Jul 4, 2010
Madison, Oh
Did you have a problem getting the roll pin out of the shaft for the drive shaft yoke up at the gear box?

I have a B1750 HST and have snapped this roll pin and the drive ( or prop ) shaft came off the spline shaft at the gear box. After a few attempts to drive the rest of the roll pin out I have been unable to make it move?

Thanks,