PTO Wood Chipper

ryebread70

Dec 8, 2018
US
I have a Kubota L2501 and I'm looking at getting a chipper. Narrowed down to 2. WoodMaxx TM-86H or a BX42S.

I have a lot of work to do clearing overgrown brush, small hardwoods and pines on 16 acres.

I am sort of convinced on getting the TM-86H but the price is what's discouraging me. It's 2-3 times the cost of a BX42S so is it that much better? I understand the differences between them but both are made in China. Would I be kicking myself for not getting the hydraulic feed and heavier flywheel, etc...?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I have mechanical feed on my Jinma and it's never been an issue. Flywheel weight isn't relative, input horsepower is relative as well as sharp knives. My Jinma has served me well over the years with minimal upkeep. It's chipped many tons of chips. I do keep the knives sharp and anvil square which is the key to any chipper doing a good job.

Always keep in mind that no chipper likes to chip trash, only clean wood so feeding trash like wood with nails in it, gravel or other non wood items will severely shorten knife life and may destroy the chipper as well and stringy fiberous wood like ash or Russian olive branches never chip well and only clog up your chipper because of their stringy, fiberous wood.

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
I have a BX42S for my L2501 that’s got about 10 hours on it maybe, and I couldn’t be happier with it. I don’t miss the self feed and I’ve used them before. I burn anything over 3” anyway and it chips as fast as I can feed it. I’m chipping mostly beech, pine, spruce and fir.

ryebread70

Dec 8, 2018
US
On forums I have been seeing "BX42S" everywhere. So it seems this is a very popular choice and everything I see is mostly positive.

However, I have now noticed another model#, the WCX-5. This is offered by value leader, betstco, etc... It's advertised as a copy of the Wallenstein BX42 with minor improvements. The main thing I have noticed that's different from a BX42 is the flywheel weight. The WCX-5 has a 115# wheel vs a BX42 with a 75-80# wheel. A heavier flywheel is going to carry more inertia.

The price difference is extremely minimal, maybe a $100 or so. Now I am wondering if I shouldn't get a WCX-5?

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
i also have a bx42s.

this thing is a work horse. got a thread on it here with lots of pix & info.

my little 2601 ran it perfectly.

you definitely dont want a BIGGER chipper on there as you dont have enough power at the PTO to turn the bigger ones.

BensBX

Mar 7, 2017
Baltimore, Ohio
I can only speak for a Wallenstein BX52. No hydraulic feed but this thing gnaws everything. I haven't seen the need for hydraulic but I guess that's just a choice. Most advice is just get the biggest your tractor will handle and the quality your wallet can afford and you'll be fine.

ryebread70

Dec 8, 2018
US
BX42's range a great deal in price depending on what site I find it. Wallenstein is the most expense and either Titan or Betstco have them around the same price, $1400-$1600 with free shipping. Now if I were going to pay $2500 (price I see listed for a Wallenstein) I would just get the WoodMaxx.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a BX42 from? Looking for a good price and customer service.

Last edited:

Kubota Paul

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2018
Lions Head On. Canada
I had a Chinese chipper on my Jinma tractor that I used for 17 years. It had a mech. feed. It was not a good feeder. had many issues with it. Now have a Kubota 2650 with a chipper with Hyl. feeder. It runs much better and will reverse which is handy if something is stuck. Also has neutral position. I have found out my new chipper has 3 cutting blades which the Jinma one only had 2.
With 3 blades it cuts much better and uses less HP. Another thing to make sure is that it opens up easy and completely for when you have it jam with wood and you have to clean it out. So from my point I will always have one that has a hyl. feeder from now on. :):)

Mainah

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501HST, BLMX3164 blower, BB1266 box blade, BX42S chipper, Titan forks
Feb 26, 2018
Standish, Maine
BX42's range a great deal in price depending on what site I find it. Wallenstein is the most expense and either Titan or Betstco have them around the same price, $1400-$1600 with free shipping. Now if I were going to pay $2500 (price I see listed for a Wallenstein) I would just get the WoodMaxx.

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy a BX42 from? Looking for a good price and customer service.

Mine came from Betstco and I paid $1100 with free shipping last winter before the tariffs I guess. They had a sale in late winter, maybe will again.
It has 4 reversible blades and a bed knife, and a cover that swings open for easy cleaning, blade adjustment and removal. First thing to do before you use it is adjust the bed knife and the 4 cutting blades. The 80 lbs flywheel is plenty heavy for a 4” chipper. It’s set up for very easy maintenance, and it’s very well built. I can see where a 2 or 3 blade chipper wouldn’t perform as well. Maybe that’s the difference between the different vendors of these things?
Good luck with your choice.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I have a Kubota L2501 and I'm looking at getting a chipper. Narrowed down to 2. WoodMaxx TM-86H or a BX42S.

I have a lot of work to do clearing overgrown brush, small hardwoods and pines on 16 acres.

I am sort of convinced on getting the TM-86H but the price is what's discouraging me. It's 2-3 times the cost of a BX42S so is it that much better? I understand the differences between them but both are made in China. Would I be kicking myself for not getting the hydraulic feed and heavier flywheel, etc...?

Since when is Wallenstein made in China? I have one and was sure it was made in Ontario Canada.
I haven't had one issue with it. You can run a bigger size per PTO h.p. with the straight chipper, but I like having the shredder also. It is great for cleaning up leaves and all the small odd sized stuff.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Since when is Wallenstein made in China? I have one and was sure it was made in Ontario Canada.
I haven't had one issue with it. You can run a bigger size per PTO h.p. with the straight chipper, but I like having the shredder also. It is great for cleaning up leaves and all the small odd sized stuff.
Most likely with imported parts....lol I find them to be over priced.

ryebread70

Dec 8, 2018
US
Where do you see I said Wallenstein is made in China? The BX42S is copied and sold by many different vendors. They are all made in China. https://m.made-in-china.com/hot-china-products/Bx42s_Wood_Chipper.html

A Wallenstein looks like it sells for twice the price of the copies.