Diesel Cold Weather Additive

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
Far as my 'condition' is concerned, I'd love to give it to you. Then you would appreciate what I'm going through. My condition' has to outcomes, death or life. Nothing in between.

Maybe you'd like to be faced with what I'm dealing with crckerjack.

I'm not a pitty pot, feel sorry for myself person. On the contrary. While I may not be able to do everything as fast as I did prior to my 'condition' I still do everything I did before my 'condition' was discovered and treatment began

I find your comments immature and condescending.

I'm done.

Just ignore him and thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike9

Equipment
Kubota B6200
Oct 9, 2015
Ghent, NY
Another nod to Power Service White here. I add a shot of Stanadyne as well to my fuel can when I fill up. Most of the time I fill from my son's work truck and they use everything. If I'm storing fuel I'll add some home made SeaFoam.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
While we are on the subject, has anyone got a feel for how cold for how long until gelling becomes a problem? I'm primarily concerned about my Ford 6.0L. The Kubota has a small tank, and sips fuel, I just run Power Service white all the time. A quart will last me years.
The 6.0 has a 60 gal tank and normally lives in warm temps, but occasionally goes to the high country where it can get cold in the winter months. So what I'm looking for is some kind of a rule of thumb as to when I should run Power Service.
30f for 8hrs?
15f for 8hrs?
anything under 32f for any amount of time?
Or just take the safe route and use it all the time when it might be cold overnight?
Any input will be appreciated.

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
While we are on the subject, has anyone got a feel for how cold for how long until gelling becomes a problem? I'm primarily concerned about my Ford 6.0L. The Kubota has a small tank, and sips fuel, I just run Power Service white all the time. A quart will last me years.

The 6.0 has a 60 gal tank and normally lives in warm temps, but occasionally goes to the high country where it can get cold in the winter months. So what I'm looking for is some kind of a rule of thumb as to when I should run Power Service.

30f for 8hrs?

15f for 8hrs?

Or just take the safe route and use it all the time when it might be cold overnight?

In my 97 powerstroke I ran power service all the time in Winter, my son in his Cummins never did and he did not have issues. I would run it

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD

30f for 8hrs?

15f for 8hrs?

A lot depends on when (and if) fuel is treated in your geographical area. Untreated #2 diesel begins clouding at 32 deg f.
If the 60g in your tank has been treated or cut with #1 everything should be fine. If not, you are rolling the dice.
Given the consequences, I treat my fuel when lows hit the 32 deg f mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

beaterboss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, LA525-FEL, BMLX-3164 3pt Blower, 72" Coteck Sno Pusher, 60" Box Blade
Feb 20, 2017
St.Francois,New Brunswick. Canada
Since I don't care for additives much, I usually treat with one gallon of Water Clear Low Sulfur Kerosene to every 10 gallons of Diesel. Have been doing it for years and have never had any issues, with either run ability or gelling. It gets COLD up here, and using the tractor at -10 or -15f is not uncommon. Anything below -15f and my butt stays inside. We do have Winter Blend Diesel here, but the Kero adds a little more insurance.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
30f for 8hrs?
15f for 8hrs?
No expert but what I do is Power Service white bottle starting in November here in NC through March then switch to the gray bottle for the summer. No problems so far and my tractor is used almost daily year around worse case in the winter every 2 or 3 days.

I have a small plastic cup I have marked at 1 gallon increments so I can had accordingly based on container I'm adding to, little less than a 1/2 ounce per gallon.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
A lot depends on when (and if) fuel is treated in your geographical area.
It is not.
I'm told the Flagstaff area has treated fuel in the winter for the I-40 truckers, but that would be about a 150 mile detour from my normal route to my place in the high country.
Given the consequences, I treat my fuel when lows hit the 32 deg f mark.
That is what I have been doing, guess I'll just continue.
Thanks.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Nothing wrong with power service but I switched to Amsoil all in one conditioner from their standard.

It's conditioner with cold flow and cetane boost in one bottle. Made a big difference in my F350. Idles smoother, pulls better, increased the mileage and cut down on smoke.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
What I use. I add the appropriate amount and then top off my tanks. Diesel fuel will gel below freezing sometimes, not always.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nothing wrong with power service but I switched to Amsoil all in one conditioner from their standard.

It's conditioner with cold flow and cetane boost in one bottle. Made a big difference in my F350. Idles smoother, pulls better, increased the mileage and cut down on smoke.
I use Archoil Nano-Borate additive in my oil and their fuel modifier in my fuel tank. It ain't cheap but it works for me in my 7.3 Navistar.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
This the stuff?

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Servic...sr=1-2&keywords=power+service+diesel+additive

First timer owning anything diesel, so being in NJ I'm going to add this as winter is starting to set in. Also once diesel gels, does it ungel when it warms?

Assuming I can also add this to the existing tank no problem, it won't be mixed as well as if I added it to a can and then filled it with fuel.

That is what I use to prevent the fuel from gelling. It will not work once the fuel has already gelled. You can use their “911” product for diesel that is currently gelled.
Once diesel gels, it will will eventually clear, but it takes MUCH longer than you would think.

Clover13

Jul 27, 2018
NJ
That is what I use to prevent the fuel from gelling. It will not work once the fuel has already gelled. You can use their “911” product for diesel that is currently gelled.
Once diesel gels, it will will eventually clear, but it takes MUCH longer than you would think.

Thanks! I saw the link to Walmart earlier where it's much cheaper than Amazon.

wwiifan

Equipment
2017 BX23S
Jul 13, 2017
Salina, Kansas
i've always got along good with Howes Diesel Treatment in my BX and an older Power Stroke i used to have...??? Any of you all try the Howes...???

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Just to add to the mix, I use Kubota's diesel fuel treatment. Gives dose to lower gel point 25 degrees, supposed to keep injectors clean, raise cetane level, etc. About the same price as the others. First bottle came in a new buyer care package along with my Kubota sweatshirt, and so I switched from Powerservice. I suspect 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Paluch1

Aug 28, 2018
Buffalo Ny
Just to add to the mix, I use Kubota's diesel fuel treatment. Gives dose to lower gel point 25 degrees, supposed to keep injectors clean, raise cetane level, etc. About the same price as the others. First bottle came in a new buyer care package along with my Kubota sweatshirt, and so I switched from Powerservice. I suspect 6 of one half dozen of the other.

Where did you order that from ?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
"along with my Kubota sweatshirt"

REalllllllyyy????? All I got was a tractor with my 20K hat!!!!!!!!!!:p:)

Id like a kubota sweatshirt!