M7040SU Power Loss & Fuel Issue while under load

Dirt Hog

Equipment
Broke down Orange Tuna Can M7040su
Aug 13, 2017
NW Missouri
2015 M7040SU with 285 hours. This week while bush hogging with a 12' Landpride batwing, Big Orange began to lose RPM while going uphill. Living in NW Missouri, we have decent size hills. The RPM's would drop down to around 400. The tractor never died. Simply sputtered and lost power. When going down hill it runs fine. When I take the load off (turn off PTO) tractor runs fine.

Here is what I have found. I replaced both filters. Water separator/fuel filter, drained fuel tank, strained fuel and checked for debris in tank/filters. Disconnected main fuel line going into separator and checked fuel flow. I then blew air into the hose, hoping to clean the line. Fuel flow was good so I hooked fuel line and took tractor to field test. FAIL. Same issue as before. Disconnected fuel line at separator turn off and blew air back into line and checked. Got a good flow of fuel for about 10 seconds then slowed to nothing. More air, good flow for 10 seconds and nothing. After 4 times I have decided there is something in the fuel tank that is blocking fuel flow.

My question is....... Has anyone removed the tank and if so what is the process? I have been told it is a good idea to remove the left side tire. This is a single tank, ROPS unit. No cab. Just wondering how hard it will be to remove the tank, cap it, and turn upside down and power clean the tank? This is what dealer suggested. Also, Orange Tractor Talks is a invaluable tool to many of us. Guys, if you have a problem and get it fixed, PLEASE post back and tell us how you solved your issue. Many threads are left unanswered. I will post back how I got the problem resolved and the steps involved. Thanks Orange crew for all the great posts. They are very helpful.

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Welcome to OTT
Have you checked tank vent to be sure it's not clogged? You could attempt operating engine with fuel cap loose or off with tank filler hole covered by a shop towel. Yrs back I owned a M4900 that acted similar that I found a clogged small white screen in the fuel shut off valve in water separator housing.

Dirt Hog

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
NW Missouri
Tx Jim, I did check the vent tube and it was clean. Before I open the separator shutoff, I did remove the gas line and found it only trickled fuel. After blowing air into the end of fuel line, I got very good flow for about 10 seconds then nothing. That leads me to believe some type of trash in bottom of tank. I have a borescope on the way from Amazon. It will be here on Monday or Tuesday and I am going to remove the fuel drain and run the borescope up inside the tank and take a look before removing the tank. Will post back after the borescope with pics. I may check the cutoff/separator for blockage tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Dirt Hog

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
NW Missouri
Dirt Hog update: Borescope was major failure. $20.00 eBay scope worked great peeking at wife taking shower but in fuel tank....nothing. I did drain tank again.....this time disconnected the fuel-out line at tank. Blew air into bottom of tank and also down from filler and removed the fuel/water separator and cleaned. Then added gallon of fuel and drained again. Got a bunch of crud out when I got to bottom of collection pan. Obviously not good. I didn't remove fuel tank as Kubota says protocol is to remove left rear tire and with torn rotator cuff.....impossible for me at this time. I am going to re-attach bush hog and try again. If this fails...it's a Kubota fix. Will update in a few days when I attempt to bush hog. BTW...this is a poly/plastic/whatever type fuel tank......d-hog out.

Dirt Hog

Equipment
Aug 13, 2017
NW Missouri
Reporting success. Removed fuel lines from tank......drained tank. Then used air attachment up inside the fuel line fitting and blew 10 mins worth of air then strained 5 gallons of diesel and filled tank and allowed it to drain back out. Added some tank cleaner and re-filled/drained second time, then hooked up lines and fueled tractor. Runs like a top. Saved pulling tank by draining several times. Much easier. Bottom line, this worked for me, hopefully if you have issues, it will work for you. Dirt Hog out......

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Thanks Dirt Hog for you fix info. I am having a similar problem and will try your fix.

Howierd

Equipment
M7040, L4310GST
Apr 7, 2020
Wisner, LA
I had a similar problem with my M7040. Did all the obvious stuff, new fuel filter, blew out lines, new fuel pump. Did not remove and clean tank. Noticed fuel level in sight glass on water separator varied from half full to full. Took the entire unit off and found that the intake side was partially plugged with trash before making it to the screen. Air pressure would not dislodge it. Had to take it apart to clean it out. Put it back together and reinstalled it. Tractor immediately went back to normal operation. It was an easy fix. The hard part was identifying the problem.

Dirt Hog 2

Equipment
Kubota M7040SU, RTV900X
Jul 29, 2022
NW Missouri
Dirt Hog 2 since I forgot my password from 5 years ago.......... Same issue as before with the 7040SU. Stalls down under load while hogging. Checked with Orange mechanic and he said it was from seperator back to tank. Going to try the blow back and also per Howierd's comment, I am taking off the seperator and cleaning. Will post back upon completion.

Orange tech's, suggestion. Fuel screen inside filler tube deep enough to take the transfer pump nozzle.

2:20 pm Update.

Did the Howierd suggested repair.......took seperator off, blew air through intake and out popped a wad of gunk. shot some carb cleaner in it, blew out and re-installed. Running under bush hog full load. Perfect. Thanks Howierd. Took all of 15 minutes to complete. Dirt Hog 2 out and hogging again.

Last edited: