Grapple for BX23S

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
I have been thinking of getting a grapple for my BX23S. I have been comparing the Wicked grapple to the Landpride. My BX23S has the new SSQA attachment.

From looking at the EverythingAttachments website, it appears their 48 inch will not work with the new SSQA, and they recommend the 55 inch one. However, the 55 inch one weighs over 50 pounds more than the 48 inch one. As we all know, weight is an issue when it comes to the BX tractors. Since I have the added weight of the SSQA, will adding the 50 pounds of the 55 inch, really reduce my working use of it? I have already increased the hydraulics to 1950 PSI, so I can't do anything else there.

I have an inquiry into Messicks, asking about the Landpride 48 inch grapple and if that will work, or if I need a different size one. I emailed Messicks since I purchased the BX from them and I will probably have them install the 3rd function valve anyways.

Just looking for some opinions and experiences with people using the grapples. Thanks!

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Just say no to the land pride...well at least the Kubota quick disconnect model. I've spent more time welding it back together than using it.

drb1215

Equipment
BX23S
Aug 3, 2017
Keswick, VA
I have the 54" landpride with the SSQA for my BX23S. I've seen other people say they have had issues with theirs. I have had no issues and it works fine. I've been using it to move large piles of cut trees and brush over to my burn pit.

It is only about 2 months old, so it's possible that landpride has fixed their faulty welds.

-Dan

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
I had massive issues with my 48" land pride grapple. Ended up rewelding and reinforcing most of it. 54" might be different...but if I was doing it again I'd do the SSQA like you've got and an everything attachments grapple.

Last edited:

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I purchased s land pride Grapple for my BX last year, as I needed help moving and cutting a semi load of firewood. Than I cleared over 100 (smaller, only 4-10" trees) the thing worked flawlessly. I looked at all the welds, and there is absolutely no cracking or bending. I've seen some pics where the welds were small or inferior, but thankfully the one I got appears rock solid. Hopefully they fixed the problem for good. The 48" Grapple is a great size for the BX. Amazing tool

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
As an update to my original post, I got the 3rd function valve installed on the BX23S. I was going to do it myself, but after I got the kit and looked at the instructions, I decided it wasn't something I really wanted to get into. I really haven't played with hydraulic lines before and I could see myself bending something or something stupid like that, and then have to deal with all that. So I called my dealer on a Monday morning. They picked it up that afternoon and when I got home from work on Tuesday, it was sitting in my driveway! Not bad service... still haven't seen the bill yet, so that may be a little scary. :D

As for the grapple, I have ordered the 55" Wicked Root Grapple from EA. They currently have a 4 week backlog. It has been almost 2 weeks, so I have about 2 more to go. Then I just have to pick it up at the nearest freight terminal. Once I get it on, I will give an update on how well it works and such.

houser52

Equipment
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600, LA680 Loader
Jul 10, 2015
North Carolina
As an update to my original post, I got the 3rd function valve installed on the BX23S. I was going to do it myself, but after I got the kit and looked at the instructions, I decided it wasn't something I really wanted to get into. I really haven't played with hydraulic lines before and I could see myself bending something or something stupid like that, and then have to deal with all that. So I called my dealer on a Monday morning. They picked it up that afternoon and when I got home from work on Tuesday, it was sitting in my driveway! Not bad service... still haven't seen the bill yet, so that may be a little scary. :D

As for the grapple, I have ordered the 55" Wicked Root Grapple from EA. They currently have a 4 week backlog. It has been almost 2 weeks, so I have about 2 more to go. Then I just have to pick it up at the nearest freight terminal. Once I get it on, I will give an update on how well it works and such.
I think you'll really like the EA Grapple. I have had a 50" Wicked on my L3600 for a few years now and it's been flawless. My only wish is that it opened wider but it has moved tons of brush, loose hay, logs and I even use it to haul away leaves from my lawn.

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Latest update. Got the bill from my dealer for the pickup, install of the 3rd function and delivery. While I won't say the dollar amount, it was very reasonable, so I am happy.

I picked up the grapple at the freight terminal on Tuesday night. All I can say is that they need more signs telling you where to pick things up.... I spent more time finding the correct dock than it took for them to load it on my trailer... :rolleyes:

Put my pallet forks on my bucket to get it off my trailer. First time using them. Then took my bucket off for the first time, and attached the grapple. Installed the flat faced connectors I bought. Opened and closed the grapple a few times to work out the air. Checked the hydraulic fluid level and it was low. Wednesday morning I picked up some fluid at the dealer and put a quart in and it checked out normal. Used the grapple to move some logs and branches from my woods to the burn pit I dug a few weekends ago. It was so much easier than doing it by hand! Parked the tractor and when I went back later, I found some oil spots under the grapple. I wiped off the grapple but could not find the area it was coming from. Went back later and found more spots. I noticed there was 1 plug in each cylinder for lines that were not used. I got my allen wrench and realized they were not very tight, so I cranked them down good. Wiped it all down again. I quickly looked this morning, and I don't see any more spots on the floor. I will check again tonight, but I think that was the issue.

Other than that little issue, I am very happy with the grapple. Moving all that brush, logs and branches and not breaking a sweat was a nice change! I think I can get used to that. :D

Tractor Dell

Equipment
Kubota BX23S
Jun 13, 2017
Central PA
Got to use my grapple this weekend. Moved a bunch of stumps and brush to my burn pit. Some of them were heavy enough to almost lift the backend off the ground, even with the backhoe and wheel weights on. Best part, I did that moving and didn't even break a sweat. :)

Attachments

RWey56

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 8, 2018
Stanchfield, MN
Looking at that break, it looks like there's almost zero penetration on one side of that weld joint. Me thinks you got a unit built by a rookie they just hired.

I had massive issues with my 48" land pride grapple. Ended up rewelding and reinforcing most of it. 54" might be different...but if I was doing it again I'd do the SSQA like you've got and an everything attachments grapple.

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
If I may piggy back on this thread to offer my review of a Land Pride SGC 0555 grapple on my BX23S with SSQA loader.

Dislikes: No grease zerks on top hinge (added my own), would have preferred serrated tips like EA.

So, why did I get the LP over the EA? Delivery time (dealer had LP in stock for a very good price) and price with freight charge (outside of EA's free zone). I needed a grapple right away, EA had a wait as it is spring and everyone is ordering.

EA is better, but LP (at least in my case) is perfectly fine.

Anyone reading this and still on the fence might consider when you need it vs when you can get it delivered. It changed my decision, but I'm still happy.

BTW, I checked my grapple after seeing the broken weld picture, I think that was a defective unit.

Last edited:

13PSD

Mar 4, 2016
Kitsap County, WA
If I may piggy back on this thread to offer my review of a Land Pride SG0554 grapple on my BX23S with SSQA loader.

Dislikes: No grease zerks on top hinge (added my own), would have preferred serrated tips like EA.

So, why did I get the LP over the EA? Delivery time (dealer had LP in stock for a very good price) and price with freight charge (outside of EA's free zone). I needed a grapple right away, EA had a wait as it is spring and everyone is ordering.

EA is better, but LP (at least in my case) is perfectly fine.

Anyone reading this and still on the fence might consider when you need it vs when you can get it delivered. It changed my decision, but I'm still happy.

BTW, I checked my grapple after seeing the broken weld picture, I think that was a defective unit.
You mind telling us the dealer you got the grapple from and a ballpark price? I am considering the same grapple and will drive to your dealer if its cheaper than my local dealer. Thanks.

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
Dan's Tractor in Battle Ground, WA. Give Skip (owner) or Bill (sales) a call 360 687 3000. About a 3 hour drive for you.

Price with WA sales tax was slightly less than the EA with $100 shipping for being outside of EA's free zone. The EA freight charge is to a freight dock nearest to you, not tailgate delivery to home. For me being so close to PDX it was not an issue and very fair shipping price. I just couldn't wait the 4 to 6 weeks lead time and Dan's loaded it into my truck after I wrote the check.

I'm not giving an actual dollar amount as these things are negotiable, but Dan's has always beaten the Oregon prices even including sales tax and has matched the online prices. I am a "repeat offender" and did buy my BX23S through them which may have been a factor in price. Very friendly and helpful dealership.

BTW, about 20 hours on my Land Pride with great results fighting the never ending blackberry battle. I got the model number wrong in my last post, it is SGC 0555.