L5740 HST won't move

Ddsigh99

Equipment
L5730 2009
Aug 15, 2017
Pensacola fl
Working my l5740, quit moving forward or backward, lift, pto,loader still works any ideas? Thanks had wrong model no. It is 09 4/4 with hydrostatic drive.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Re: L5730 won't move

I think first we need to start with the tractors actual and full model number and type to be able to help you. :D
By this I mean to say Kubota has never made a L5730. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

Working my l5730, quit moving forward or backward, lift, pto,loader still works any ideas? Thanks
I don't know what went wrong, but it looks like you tried to quote your own post. :confused:

We can't give you accurate information if we don't have a good Tractor model # to reference.
So please go look at your tractor and get the model # off of it. ;)

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA

It looks like the OP corrected the original post to read L5740.

Could it be as simple as the L-M-H Range selector is in Neutral?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks 200mph for the heads up, changed the thread title.

Now Ddsigh99,
What exactly did it do?
Was it sudden or was it lagging, the more details the better.

Could be a range issue, could be a fluid level issue, could be a pedal linkage issue, or it could be a clutch issue.

How many hours are on it?

Also go here and download the WSM, that will help with troubleshooting.
www.kubota.cz/data/soubor/WSM_L3540_4240_5040_5240_5740_EN.pdf

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The L5740 is drive by wire. It could be electrical. Multiple systems at play to make it drive. But please be more specific.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
The L5740 is drive by wire. It could be electrical. Multiple systems at play to make it drive. But please be more specific.
Thanks! I was wondering if all L5740's were this way or only the L5740-3 models build after 2010.

Do you think the pedal electronics could be tested by depressing on the pedal while off the seat to see if the engine cuts-off?

If the pedal position for forward and reverse are shared with the control logic to turn the engine off while off the seat, it could make for a simple test to verify the pedal is operational or not.

Can the clutch be removed as a potential root cause since the PTO works? I'm thinking this is the case but not 100% certain.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks! I was wondering if all L5740's were this way or only the L5740-3 models build after 2010.

Do you think the pedal electronics could be tested by depressing on the pedal while off the seat to see if the engine cuts-off?

If the pedal position for forward and reverse are shared with the control logic to turn the engine off while off the seat, it could make for a simple test to verify the pedal is operational or not.

Can the clutch be removed as a potential root cause since the PTO works? I'm thinking this is the case but not 100% certain.
Yes all versions of the L5740's are "drive by wire", there is no mechanical connection.
If you download the manual I pointed out it should give you the procedure to check the pedal control, that would answer your second and third question.

As far as it not being the clutch "since the PTO works" is not true in this model and others, because they have different input shafts, the HST input shaft is mechanically clutch coupled to the flywheel, where the PTO input shaft is a direct coupling to the flywheel (no mechanical clutch involved). ;)

I would like to say, great line of Questions/ Answers/ Input form all parties, This is what OTT is all about! :D
Hopefully the OP comes back to the conversation! :)

Last edited:

Adirondack

Equipment
L3400, L5240
Dec 8, 2015
Upstate NY, USA
As far as it not being the clutch "since the PTO works" is not true in this model and others, because they have different input shafts, the HST input shaft is mechanically clutch coupled to the flywheel, where the PTO input shaft is a direct coupling to the flywheel (no mechanical clutch involved)! :)
I don't think this is correct. I split my 5240 last year and there is only 1 shaft. When you push in the clutch, everything is disengaged.

Attachments

Last edited:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I don't think this is correct. I split my 5240 last year and there is only 1 shaft. When you push in the clutch, everything is disengaged.
Correct. The pto is driven from behind the clutch so if the clutch is disengaged it will stop the pto also. Given that all systems work except for horizontal movement I would be suspicious of an electrical problem.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
For what its worth...

Looked through the manual and found an error message should be displayed when the HST Pedal Sensor fails.
Error-81 PEDAL –NG. Solution suggests “The running that uses the pedal is impossible, but running with the cruise control lever is possible."

There are other sensors that contribute to forward/reverse motion and they have their own corresponding error codes.

If I’m reading the manual correctly there is a self-test mode where a host of sensor values can be displayed. T10 and T11 are for the HST Pedal Sensor voltage outputs. The resistance can also be checked if and is detailed in another section of the manual.

Couldn't find a trouble shooting section for "No forward" or "No reverse".

On both my L3130 and L4740-3 disengaging the clutch disengages the PTO.

I hope there is a simple solution for the OP!

Adirondack

Equipment
L3400, L5240
Dec 8, 2015
Upstate NY, USA
For what its worth...

Looked through the manual and found an error message should be displayed when the HST Pedal Sensor fails.
Error-81 PEDAL –NG. Solution suggests “The running that uses the pedal is impossible, but running with the cruise control lever is possible."

There are other sensors that contribute to forward/reverse motion and they have their own corresponding error codes.

If I’m reading the manual correctly there is a self-test mode where a host of sensor values can be displayed. T10 and T11 are for the HST Pedal Sensor voltage outputs. The resistance can also be checked if and is detailed in another section of the manual.

Couldn't find a trouble shooting section for "No forward" or "No reverse".

On both my L3130 and L4740-3 disengaging the clutch disengages the PTO.

I hope there is a simple solution for the OP!
When I started tearing my 5240 apart to split it, I thought the operator platform had to be removed while I was waiting for my service manual. I unbolted the HST pedal and linkage and unplugged a pin connector. It was wide with several pins inside. I remember it was quite dirty.

Could it be possible this connector is loose, or there is damage to the wiring?