Fill tires for winter empty for spring?

keithcoady

Equipment
Kubota B7800 60 inch mmm, 60 inch normand blower, and 60 inch blade
Dec 11, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
Yeah I checked on a tube and it's $150 Canadian plus tax to have a blowout patch and tube installed. So close to $200 and according to the tire guy I shouldn't load the tires without having the slice vulcanized which would mean more money and sending it 200 miles away to get it done.

Checked with the local kubota dealer and he can get me a brand new tire for slightly less than $600 so I'm strongly thinking on a new tire as much as the cost is making me sick.

At least then I can load the tires which will be an added bonus for using the tractor as I have a loader and use it quite often. Also the loaded tires will help in the winter with the loader and 3 point snowblower.

keithcoady

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
torch, is the ww fluid safe for rims as I'm not planning on installing tubes at this time.

My tires call for 31 gallons in each tire so a reduced price from the plumbers antifreeze would be welcome

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
torch, is the ww fluid safe for rims as I'm not planning on installing tubes at this time.

My tires call for 31 gallons in each tire so a reduced price from the plumbers antifreeze would be welcome
I think you will be fine - if there is ANY corrosive properties in it, it will not be near as bad as CaCl2 - salt.

I have it in 2 of my three machines - looking for wallyworld to have it on sale soon........

was kinda funny rolling out about 35 gallons of the blue stuff.....woman at counter did look at me funny!:D:)

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.

I don't have tubes either.

WW fluid is basically methanol and water with a mild detergent. In normal use it winds up not just on the windshield, but also the rubber seals, paint, plastic bits, etc. etc. I wouldn't drink it, but it is pretty inert stuff chemically speaking.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Every year Home Depot puts their -40 windshield washer on sale half price, just keep checking, filled mine last year with no problems and I'm just down the road from you, good luck.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In the Spring Wal-mart had -20 WW fluid on sale for $1 gal. Mgr. said folks won't buy the -20 in the Summer. Service mgr. in auto dept. looked at me kinda out the side of his eye when I told him I'd take all he had. They actually had all the original cardboard boxes, boxed up the gallons and took them to my truck for me. I ended up with 86 gallons (two stores).

I think he thought I was mentally deranged and wanted me out of there!!:D

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Let me ask you this....what is your primary use for the tractor?
If it's a lawn mower the extra traction really isn't needed and will most likely add to the destruction of your lawn. But if you use it for other tasks the weight will be beneficial in adding stability. You mentioned a front end loader. Any work with a front end loader should be accompanied by some sort of ballast...box blade or equipment. But filling the tires doesn't really accomplish what a rear weight does.
Filling your tires adds weight to the tractor and the front end. With loader work you want to take weight off of the front end, not add to it. A rear ballast (counterweight) does just that.

keithcoady

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Nova Scotia Canada
missouribound, yes I mow with the tractor but use the loader quite a bit as well and I do have a counterweight on the 3 point.

I take the loader and counterweight off when I mow, it's a mid mount mower.

Keith