New to me mower.

Sharps-Nut

Dec 16, 2012
Jopin, MO
I bought a used zd25, maybe a 2006 serial number 16,xxx. Supposed to have 560 hours on it guy claimed to be trouble free original owner. He bought a new one and most of his stuff was nice and pretty new. With zero records on such a mower I am thinking of changing all fluids and filters to establish a known record. What is the best hydro oil for the job, would prefer kabota brand but looks like they make a couple. Next is there anything else I should be aware of or weary of on this machine. The mower was dirty, in its work clothes. It seems to work fine. Left hydro was a little low on fluid but all fluid looks good, very clean, no smell. My hope it to have a long term mower to maintain around my place 2-3 acres a week. Did I buy the right one, is the zd 25 up to the task. If not I might pass it on next spring and try again. So far the ride does not impress me much. Thanks for any helpful input.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Not sure what the oil requirements are on that unit. But being that it is similar to an HST unit, it can take one of 3 types from Kubota -

UDT - standard stuff, been around a long time, cheap - nuttin fancy

S -UDT - a synthetic blend, cost more, but is better over long haul

S-UDT2 - all synthetic - cost a lot , but is great stuff.

There are those that truly believe in synthetics, and those who do not.......you make the call, either of them will work.

Change them filters too, and leave the F.R.A.M alone....

engine oil - a synthetic there is great also. I would get a synthetic 5w-40 or at the worst, a 10w-30. Mobile 1, and others make good stuff - AMSOIL is awesome stuff.

Sharps-Nut

Dec 16, 2012
Jopin, MO
Thank you. I am a believer in synthetic. I will change all oil and filters with the good stuff and see how this thing holds up. I assume when you say the f-r-a-m your you mean the orange ones sold at wally. I usually use original equipment all the way so were good there. The web does not put much faith in zd25's being much count. I pray web opinion is biased to those who have trouble and the majority are solid units. I have always put a lot of faith in orange tractors but never owned a mower.